2022-23 Tickets and Prudential Center Discussion Thread

Satans Hockey

1 hour ago, Jerry Lundegaard said:

Sticks, Hats, Bobbleheads, Calendars, Scarfs, Towels, T-shirts? Anything? Nope.

I know when I was a kid and my dad took me to the game, I didn't care about any of that stuff. I much rather prefered: Latin Heritage, Pride, Military Appreciation, other teams mascots, Jewish community, Pride, Lunar New Year, Black History & Gender Equality nights. You see, THOSE are the nights that everyone in the building really enjoys coming out. 

The try-hard, pat on the back culture this team's marketing dep. puts out there is so goddamn cringe.

Now I'm sure some of you are cracking your knuckles ready to throw out some partisan B.S. but that's not what I'm getting at. It goes without saying, we allllll are on board for acknowledging those things in daily life. But a Tuesday night in March we're going to preach gender equality against the Maple Leafs? Seriously?.....

These nights are supposed to be meant for children who have a keepsake from their childhood. It creates memories. I still have sticks & towels from the 90's. Instead, parents are lucky enough to bring their kids to a game to learn a history lesson? To learn about a wage gap?

This franchise continues to be an absolute joke for the better part of a decade. 

I don't have a problem with minority group theme nights.  I do have a problem with limited quantity promo items.  They make a big deal about bobbleheads but if you're not really early there's a good chance you're not getting one.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jerry Lundegaard said:

Sticks, Hats, Bobbleheads, Calendars, Scarfs, Towels, T-shirts? Anything? Nope.

I know when I was a kid and my dad took me to the game, I didn't care about any of that stuff. I much rather prefered: Latin Heritage, Pride, Military Appreciation, other teams mascots, Jewish community, Pride, Lunar New Year, Black History & Gender Equality nights. You see, THOSE are the nights that everyone in the building really enjoys coming out. 

The try-hard, pat on the back culture this team's marketing dep. puts out there is so goddamn cringe.

Now I'm sure some of you are cracking your knuckles ready to throw out some partisan B.S. but that's not what I'm getting at. It goes without saying, we allllll are on board for acknowledging those things in daily life. But a Tuesday night in March we're going to preach gender equality against the Maple Leafs? Seriously?.....

These nights are supposed to be meant for children who have a keepsake from their childhood. It creates memories. I still have sticks & towels from the 90's. Instead, parents are lucky enough to bring their kids to a game to learn a history lesson? To learn about a wage gap?

This franchise continues to be an absolute joke for the better part of a decade. 

Are you on HF boards by any chance cause we literally just talked about this on there lol

A bunch of these are actually things that almost every team does because I think they are league wide events, like hockey fights cancer, pride night, military night, black history night. 

If you go browse around the league you'll see other teams have very similar events, Islanders even have a Taiwan night. 

You also come across as someone who actually hasn't been to any of these events because they have such minimal affect on the game that you would barely know they are even going on and certainly wouldn't have to teach your kids anything if you didn't want to and if it bothers ya so much there are plenty of other games on the schedule that don't have them at all. 

Also you're being a bit member berries because while there aren't a ton of physical giveaways this year you keep going on about towels which was mainly given out during the playoffs which if you haven't noticed we haven't made at all besides 1x in the past decade. They did actually have "Jersey" towels last year for the new 3rds though. 

To yap on about what about the kids.... Kids love mascots even if they are from other teams, usually it's the other NJ teams mascots and some NHL mascots that most kids would never get to see in person. Other teams also throw mascot days and NJ travels for those too.

I do think they could add more giveaways but I personally don't ever remember there being that many giveaways anyway. It was usually some combo of magnet night, puck night, bobblehead night, hat night.

Not that I want to be like the Rangers or Knicks at all but they do some of the same nights and some different nights and literally have 0 giveaways this year so it could always be worse in the amount of giveaways the Devils could do... 

https://www.msg.com/new-york-knicks-and-rangers-theme-nights

I'm much more outraged by the dog sh!t product on the ice from the last decade, the thing that really has more of an outcome on whether or not the building is more full, than any theme night they throw.

Edited by Satans Hockey

11 hours ago, andy said:

I don't have a problem with minority group theme nights.  I do have a problem with limited quantity promo items.  They make a big deal about bobbleheads but if you're not really early there's a good chance you're not getting one.

This I agree with but they want you in the building earlier so you spend more money once you're inside there. If they actually had fan friendly concession stand pricing I wouldn't even care about this but it's an obvious money making tactic that all teams seem to use, usually it's more like the first 10k but the Devils have lowered it. I also think a lot of teams simply don't want to store this stuff and it's another reason to do it this way. 

25 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I had season tickets for 4 years (06 to 10), attended every single game with my dad as a high schooler, and I don’t remember a single giveaway that I actually cared about (except for the mini banners at the jersey retirement ceremonies). 

The hats were horrible quality that i’d never actually wear. the mini sticks sat in my basement. maybe a cool bobble head or two? 

Seems like a weird thing to get this riled up over (I’m not getting enough free crappy stuff so the franchise is an absolute joke) but to each their own I guess. 

I don’t think high school kids are really the target of those giveaways, it’s usually the younger kids that get excited about that stuff. But you have a point about the hats, which in addition to being low quality usually have a big logo on them from whoever is sponsoring. 

I think the extreme reduction of day games on the weekend shows that they aren’t too concerned with bringing in young children to games. While I personally prefer a night game, it was way easier to take my daughter as a 6-7 year old when the games were during the day, since she was typically asleep by 7:30-8:00. I am sure others have the same experience. 

22 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don’t think high school kids are really the target of those giveaways, it’s usually the younger kids that get excited about that stuff. But you have a point about the hats, which in addition to being low quality usually have a big logo on them from whoever is sponsoring. 

I think the extreme reduction of day games on the weekend shows that they aren’t too concerned with bringing in young children to games. While I personally prefer a night game, it was way easier to take my daughter as a 6-7 year old when the games were during the day, since she was typically asleep by 7:30-8:00. I am sure others have the same experience. 

I guess it depends on each families situation but there always seems to be kids and babies at every night game. 

I personally hate afternoon games, especially in the winter when you go into a game at 1pm and you come out and it's basically dark. Feels like the whole day is wasted. 

Alottt of seats available for the home opener. It’s sad that they charge $90+fees for the very last row of upper deck (center ice) and then wonder why we can’t sellout.

On the plus side, they made the good preseason PA guy permanent.

Edited by devlman
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, devlman said:

Alottt of seats available for the home opener. It’s sad that they charge $90+fees for the very last row of upper deck (center ice) and then wonder why we can’t sellout.

On the plus side, they made the good preseason PA guy permanent.

Yeah I really wish they would change the pricing around in general. Those seats ain't worth that price just because it's center, it's still really high up. 

Sitting in the cheap seats as a kid growing up is the only way I was able to go to as many games as I did and it's what hooked me into now being a season ticket holder for my life here ( until I move to a compound in the middle of nowhere lol) 

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Yeah I really wish they would change the pricing around in general. Those seats ain't worth that price just because it's center, it's still really high up. 

Sitting in the cheap seats as a kid growing up is the only way I was able to go to as many games as I did and it's what hooked me into now being a season ticket holder for my life here ( until I move to a compound in the middle of nowhere lol) 

Yeah they need to stop pretending we are a big market team. A Saturday night home opener to kick off an exciting season should not be a struggle.

• Like 2

On 10/8/2022 at 12:19 PM, MB3 said:

I had season tickets for 4 years (06 to 10), attended every single game with my dad as a high schooler, and I don’t remember a single giveaway that I actually cared about (except for the mini banners at the jersey retirement ceremonies). 

The hats were horrible quality that i’d never actually wear. the mini sticks sat in my basement. maybe a cool bobble head or two? 

Seems like a weird thing to get this riled up over (I’m not getting enough free crappy stuff so the franchise is an absolute joke) but to each their own I guess. 

I have two kids.  When they were young they were always very excited by promo items like bobbleheads. We missed out on a few of them.  I know the Devils aren't the only team to do this but it's something that teams do that really annoy me.

Edited by andy

7 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

@Colorado Rockies 1976I sent an email to them about the volume cause a bunch of people on HF were complaining as well. It wasn't like that in the preseason so idk why they jacked it up so much. Learning curve with the new system I guess 

Probably exactly right. "Well, there's more people so it'll need to be louder..."

• Like 1

I understood why they did this the past 2 seasons but this seems a bit much now. Donations absolutely have to be down because while I always donate to all the drives I don't like giving money when I have no idea where it's going. I really hope they don't do the same thing with food drive and toys for tots. 

I don't care at all about the vouchers, I absolutely don't need extra Devils tickets. All the ones I got I would sell, buy a ton of canned food with the money, get vouchers for that, sell those games and then buy a ton of toys for tots stuff for that. 

Just doesn't make sense at this stage of this whole covid mess to not be collecting this stuff...

https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/new-jersey-devils-launch-virtual-coat-drive-presented-by-pseg--release/c-336509326?utm_source=njd_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=memberinsider&et_rid=88456411

4 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I understood why they did this the past 2 seasons but this seems a bit much now. Donations absolutely have to be down because while I always donate to all the drives I don't like giving money when I have no idea where it's going. I really hope they don't do the same thing with food drive and toys for tots. 

I don't care at all about the vouchers, I absolutely don't need extra Devils tickets. All the ones I got I would sell, buy a ton of canned food with the money, get vouchers for that, sell those games and then buy a ton of toys for tots stuff for that. 

Just doesn't make sense at this stage of this whole covid mess to not be collecting this stuff...

https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/new-jersey-devils-launch-virtual-coat-drive-presented-by-pseg--release/c-336509326?utm_source=njd_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=memberinsider&et_rid=88456411

I once bought tickets to coat night, then got free tickets to canned food night, then got free tickets for toy drive night, and got free tickets to another game. 4 for the price of 1!!

That said, its 2022 and nobody gives a sh!t about Covid anymore, they can do an actual coat drive. Maybe doing both is a good idea in case people want to just donate their money. 

• Like 1

15 years, holy cow. 

From the day the doors opened until the start of the 2011 season, my dad and I were the only people to watch Devils games in Section 230, Row 2, Seats 7 and 8. We didn't miss a single game -- preseason, regular season, or playoffs. Best memories of my life. 

• Like 2

I was 20 years old when the Rock opened and I remember getting out of class at Rutgers, taking the train to the arena, and standing outside the box office on Edison in the $10 ticket line with a bottle of jaeger in a paper bag.  Spent many afternoons like that, including opening day.  We always talked about how awesome it would be for a couple bars to open on Edison right there.  Now that they are open, I hardly go to them because the price of beer is about the same as in the arena.  Certainly beats the jaeger though.

Edited by Crisis
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...