Prospects thread 2022-2023

Guadana

Filmon scores 7 goals and takes 5 assists in 9 games. 1.33ppg. He should be 1.35+ ppg player to be "a player you really could wait something from". If he will achive 1.5 ppg, we could wait more and have some real expectations. 
His team wasn`t really great year before and I believe isn`t really good this year(I don`t have opportunity to watch WHL games for now), so his  pack of skills and result are very intriguing. I hope he will only add form, and not give up a little. And of course he needs to eat and pump a muscle.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 2

Just now, Guadana said:

Filmon scores 7 goals and takes 5 assists in 9 games. 1.33ppg. He should be 1.35+ ppg player to be "a player you really could wait something from". If he will achive 1.5 ppg, we could wait more and have some real expectations. 

How has Gritsyuk been doing? Seems kind of quiet on that front. 

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

How has Gritsyuk been doing? Seems kind of quiet on that front. 

His team started very slowly. They change coach after. He ectually doing everything he did before. And after coaching changing he has something like 6 points in 10-12 games or something like that. Nothing crazy good, but not as bad as his start. They play really bad as a team. I think the tools are there, hope he will return his production, anyway he is always watching and liking devils posts, he was interesting in Devils as organisation. And KHL is really tough league, he is Bratt-like player and his physical game for now isn`t quite good yet, he can spend one year in AHL to make a breath in easier hockey context,  adapt his game for NA ice and listen new coaching voices. 
I should watch some of his actual games and make videos, just have some busy weeks, will do it later.

The sad thing is Bardakov was injured, but thanks God, nothing really serious. (the moment was brutal). He is very talented kid, may be he will not score 20+ goals, but he read the game like... very talented players and he is really good forechecker and zone coverager. SKA missed only one goal in 16 games or something like that when he was on the ice. He has big potential to be good defensive center.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Do the Devils actually have a lot of NHL prospects in the pipeline or is that wishful thinking?

Idk about “a lot” but they have 2 blue chip prospects in Luke and Nemec. Plus Holtz, Casey, Mukhamadullin, and Gritsyuk. It’s usually ranked as a top 5 prospect pool the last couple years. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Do the Devils actually have a lot of NHL prospects in the pipeline or is that wishful thinking?

Depends upon where you're looking.

In Utica, not really, outside of Nemec.  Holtz has graduated for the moment but might find himself back there soon for remedial courses.  Some of their future bottom-6 types are now playing with the big club (Zetterlund, Boqvist).  Still have Okhotiuk, Foote (I've pretty much written him off), and the goalies (Daws and Schmid). 

Nicomo named some others.  They're in pretty good shape.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, njbuff said:

they have a top-5 ranked prospect pool by nearly every major reputable website. 

doesn't always pan out, but they 100% have a lot of high quality NHL prospects in the pipeline. 

23 minutes ago, MB3 said:

they have a top-5 ranked prospect pool by nearly every major reputable website. 

doesn't always pan out, but they 100% have a lot of high quality NHL prospects in the pipeline. 

At some point they are going to need to sh!t or get off the pot with some of these "near" prospects that can't crack our lineup.

If guys like Bahl, Walsh, Foote ETC can't crack the lineup, maybe we can trade them for some picks or something that can help us now.

10 minutes ago, CMONPETEYD said:

At some point they are going to need to sh!t or get off the pot with some of these "near" prospects that can't crack our lineup.

If guys like Bahl, Walsh, Foote ETC can't crack the lineup, maybe we can trade them for some picks or something that can help us now.

Walsh and Foote are not the guys prognosticators are referring to when discussing Devils prospects these days, and the Devils weren't really counting on any of them anyway.  They're talking more about L Hughes, Nemec, Holtz, Casey, and a few others.  Bahl is likely going to get a look if Smith keeps playing like a guy who doesn't have much left...at any rate, he's only in his Age 22 season, so not like he's some lost cause.

Anyway, you can't bitch about some of the kids that you're down on, and then expect to get "something that can help us now" for them.  Also keep in mind that it's like not AHL teams are chock full of top-notch prospects...most of those players are future Bottom 6ers/Bottom D-pair types.  And even if you're not a big fan of some of these players, there are guys who came through the farm who are now filling those roles:  McLeod, Bastian, Zetterlund (he's even filling in on the first line), Boqvist.

But guys like Walsh, Foote...you still need guys to fill out AHL rosters...marginal prospects that ultimately don't make it and late 20/early 30-somethings will be on your AHL team too.  

The top Devils prospects right now are Nemec, Hughes, and Casey - probably pretty obvious to most of us, but these guys have a very good shot of being impact NHL players. For Hughes and Nemec is nearly a sure bet that they'll be high end guys. Casey has a bit to prove, but so far is looking like he could be something special too.

I would say the next best prospect is Mukhamadullin. He is playing a very good, complete game in the KHL, and has been doing it for his second consecutive year now. I would rank Tyce Thompson somewhere around here as well, but we know him pretty well already.

After him, there's the Gritsyuk, who I would have ranked much higher last season, but has struggled so far this season. We will see if he can redeem this season later on. Last season, he looked like he was making a case for himself for the next NHL star out of the KHL.

I have liked Okhotiuk a lot in the past, but he clearly is not ready yet.

For all of the above players, I would be more surprised if they didn't get some serious NHL time than if they did.

After this group, there's Josh Filmon who could be a big time sleeper pick from the previous draft. Tyler Brennan could very well be the team's best goalie prospect after this season. And I think a lot of us were impressed with Topias Vilen, who is starting to look like a late bloomer.

I also like Daniil Orlov as a future solid bottom pairing guy.

Everyone else, I feel has a long way to go still (Barabosha, Edwards, McCarthy, etc.), or else I'm not very high on.

There are a bunch of other guys like Stillman, Foote, and Pytlick who seem to be falling down the list, and don't seem to have the NHL future that once seemed more likely.

I would say it's a pretty impressive group, especially when you consider that there will hardly be room for many of these players over the next several years. And for a young and up-and-coming team, it's a pretty good sign that the cupboard is still stocked.

• Like 2