Prospects thread 2022-2023

Guadana

On 12/15/2022 at 11:00 AM, vadvlfan said:

Has anyone else given up on Nolan Foote. Is this guy ever going to be what scouts thought he would be?

Define ‘given up’. Can he still be an impact 4th liner/extra forward that provides a physical element? Yes. He was never supposed to be some first line all star.

Edited by devlman

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Seamus Casey made the team as well. Hopefully he continues to surprise everyone. Family ties to NJ, Devils fans too, so I hope the kid does the thing and makes it to the NHL.

• Like 1

Next Wednesday I'm going to see 2 pre-tournaments game on the same day.

Canada vs Slovakia at 3:30 then USA vs Sweden at 7:30.

Super fvcking pumped to see Nemec, Luke and Seamus that day.

Got a seat right behind the home bench for the USA game. Let's just hope that it's the USA that are "home" for that game haha

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Next Wednesday I'm going to see 2 pre-tournaments game on the same day.

Canada vs Slovakia at 3:30 then USA vs Sweden at 7:30.

Super fvcking pumped to see Nemec, Luke and Seamus that day.

Got a seat right behind the home bench for the USA game. Let's just hope that it's the USA that are "home" for that game haha

Don’t try to smell any of them. 

I think with what is going on with the Devils, there is a possibility that Nemec is going to go play in the World Juniors and if the coaches in Utica and Fitz think he is ready, we might see him afterwards to see how he does.

He had 2 more assists tonight, and he was a plus 4, I know plus minus is a take or leave it stat, but that's still good.

I don't see a this team not making a trade in the next 6 weeks, I think they will make a move sooner than later before the deadline, and I think one of the defenseman are going to be moved especially if Nemec is impressing them as I think he might be.

Edited by Patrick Sundstrom Ghost
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Patrick Sundstrom Ghost said:

I don't know if Gritsyuk is ready for the NHL or if he needs time to develop in Utica and on a smaller ice surface, but I hope they bring him over as soon as his season is over, and see what the answer to that question is.

Utica and AHL as development program isn`t a good way for him now. It`s a development league, I understand, but this door as effective way is closed for him. He is playing against much better competiotion here and now. Few games I watched this year of Utica were terrible. And I`m talking not only about Utica, their opponents were not good. Two years of regular watching of AHL gave me a pretty clear idea of the level. Sweden is a better place than AHL. May be Liiga is even a better place, but it`s more complicated - more structured league, but there are less offensive talented players. 

If Fitz, Grits and coaches think he needs to play one more year or more before NHL - he should stay. If they think he is NHL ready and needs just some time for adaptation to  NA hockey - than he should travel to NA. None of today's talented forward players spends a whole year at his age in the AHL. He has something to work on in the positional game and it is much more effective in a more competitive league, at the same time he will earn more money.

Edited by Guadana

On 12/17/2022 at 1:43 PM, devlman said:

Define ‘given up’. Can he still be an impact 4th liner/extra forward that provides a physical element? Yes. He was never supposed to be some first line all star.

No call up this year.  Seems like he's an after thought when this team could use size. I'm sure at one time he was thought as a possible wing compliment to Jack or Nico.  We need the Kamikaze like physical anyone!  Not perimeter skating types. We don't rough any body up. It's the one thing lacking in our game imo. 

I'm hoping/thinking when Palat/Bastian get back in line up, things will straighten out.

On 12/18/2022 at 11:10 AM, Guadana said:

Utica and AHL as development program isn`t a good way for him now. It`s a development league, I understand, but this door as effective way is closed for him. He is playing against much better competiotion here and now. Few games I watched this year of Utica were terrible. And I`m talking not only about Utica, their opponents were not good. Two years of regular watching of AHL gave me a pretty clear idea of the level. Sweden is a better place than AHL. May be Liiga is even a better place, but it`s more complicated - more structured league, but there are less offensive talented players. 

If Fitz, Grits and coaches think he needs to play one more year or more before NHL - he should stay. If they think he is NHL ready and needs just some time for adaptation to  NA hockey - than he should travel to NA. None of today's talented forward players spends a whole year at his age in the AHL. He has something to work on in the positional game and it is much more effective in a more competitive league, at the same time he will earn more money.

I doubt is Grits going to get a one way ELC.(if there is such a thing) He'll have to compete to make the team like everyone else.  I'm cheering for him.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Isn't this a good time to call up one or two guys from Comets? Clarke seems to be caliente at the moment, maybe Foote, or Okhotyuk? Somebody that has a lil jam in his game?

But who would you take out of our lineup to do that?

Oh yeah, everyone but Jack...

On 12/17/2022 at 1:43 PM, devlman said:

If that's what he's (Foote)  targeted/projected to be, that's fine by me. A 4th line role is every bit as valuable to a team. 

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

But who would you take out of our lineup to do that?

Oh yeah, everyone but Jack...

Boqvist & Holtz- Give Bahl a shot over Smith?  imo McCleod is a very good 4th line center. Struggles with 3rd line role.

48 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Isn't this a good time to call up one or two guys from Comets? Clarke seems to be caliente at the moment, maybe Foote, or Okhotyuk? Somebody that has a lil jam in his game?

I watched a couple of Games. They are just not good enough. Zetterlund and Holtz were better than AHL can give them, Clarke and Thompson are not better players on the ice. I`m not against to call up them, but I understand why Devs didn`t do it yet.

1 hour ago, Guadana said:

I watched a couple of Games. They are just not good enough. Zetterlund and Holtz were better than AHL can give them, Clarke and Thompson are not better players on the ice. I`m not against to call up them, but I understand why Devs didn`t do it yet.

I understand why they haven’t been called up, too. But sometimes when your team is stinking up the ice you don’t call up the ‘best’ players, but players that have an element you don’t have and sorely need.

Zetterlund has clearly hit a rookie wall. Let him sit a few games and give Clarke (good shot), Thompson or Foote (physicality) a game or two. Maybe you catch magic in a bottle. At the very least you send a message that you cannot keep a roster spot indefinitely with poor play.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

If that's what he's (Foote)  targeted/projected to be, that's fine by me. A 4th line role is every bit as valuable to a team. 

Thank you. Prospects aren’t developed solely to be first line all stars. You need them to develop into depth pieces, as well. These pieces are the guys on minimal contracts that help you on the ice and help you stay cap compliant when you’re in your cup window.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, devlman said:

Thank you. Prospects aren’t developed solely to be first line all stars. You need them to develop into depth pieces, as well. These pieces are the guys on minimal contracts that help you on the ice and help you stay cap compliant when you’re in your cup window.

Yeah been over it but that's really what the AHL often is...the place where you develop your 3rd/4th liners and lower-pair defenseman, and stash some temporary call-up types who can fill in for a limited number of games when players on the big club inevitably go down with injuries.

Can Foote be one of those depth pieces?  I suspect not, but we'll see if he gets a look in a 4th-line role.

The pieces you really want on the minimal contracts (whenever possible) are the Hugheses (both Luke and Jack) and guys like Nemec and Mercer...players who have a great shot to greatly outproduce what they're making.  But I get that it's a very short window, and the stars and superstars will get theirs before long.  But yeah nice to only have to pay some 3rd-liner ELC money, as opposed to $3 million or so via UFA.

Man i'm still relieved we didn't draft Shane Wright. I was not feeling him AT ALL before the draft (basically like i was not feeling Holtz at all unfortunately). Wanted Slaf, Nemec or Cooley before him or trade the pick instead of drafting him

And then the draft happened and many teams passed over him. Then he's not even sticking in the NHL.

Then i watched him play last night. He should be DOMINATING the world juniors. And he was barely visible. 

The only thing he did was scoring in his own net lol and it was not one of those deflecting off of him or wtv. He was literally in the corner with the puck and shot it directly into his goalie's skates and it went in lol

Very relieved we didn't draft him

Brandt Clarke though. I still really really like him but im obviously glad we got Luke. Who was also really good but he didn't play that much yesterday. The US had 8 Dmen and 13 forwards playing in the game. So i assume they wanted to figure out exactly who their bottom pairing and extras would be. But also Luke got injured early in the tournament last year so i assume they didn't want to risk that in a landslide win.

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1