Prospects thread 2022-2023

Guadana

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Nah. It’s the NHL Network. The Winter Classic is the biggest event on the regular season calendar. It’s not surprising the league’s official network wants a two hour infomercial promoting said event. 

Right. Because promoting the event equals more viewers. And better ratings. 

40 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Who is watching the NHL Network that doesn't already know about the winter classic game? It's preaching to the choir to me. 

I don’t know, but why else would they be advertising it if not to get people to watch? 

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I’m guessing he meant to write 25 (which is what McDavid skates). 

I immediately started Googling, and I saw that McDavid was once clocked at a speed of 40mph during a game. That’s ridiculous. And if Luke skates that fast (35 mph), that is very impressive. 

https://www.flohockey.tv/articles/7949700-how-fast-can-a-hockey-player-skate

Edited by mfitz804

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I immediately started Googling, and I saw that McDavid was once clocked at a speed of 40mph during a game. That’s ridiculous. And if Luke skates that fast (35 mph), that is very impressive. 

https://www.flohockey.tv/articles/7949700-how-fast-can-a-hockey-player-skate

I had to look it up, too. 35+ is like speed skater numbers. I’d be surprised if a 19 year old kid hit that in hockey skates. 

Either way, my god did their parents do a hell of a job teaching those boys how to skate. 

• Like 2

I was at that Sweden - Finland game. What a crazy ending and heartbreaker

Also at the USA - Germany game. Kind of crazy that the US  scored 11 goals and Luke has no points in the game. He made some great plays and took good shots but it just wouldnt go.

Canada Slovakia though. wow. I wanted Canada to win but i didn't want Nemec to be involved lol poor dude was crying so hard after the game 

I haven't caught as much of the WJC as I normally do this year, but I did want to comment on one player: Stanislav Svozil. Now, I don't claim to be some kind of prospects guru, as I've been wrong about a fair share of prospects over the years. But I have never once been so confident that a player is going to be a stud NHLer (outside of top-5 picks) as I was when I first saw Svozil play at the 2021 WJC (draft year). I have no idea what almost every GM in the league was thinking by passing on this kid from the mid-first round through the second. It was insane because I was never even looking out for him during that WJC, I just kept having to look up whoever that Czech player was who kept shutting down the opposition - nearly every single time it was this same kid, playing in a tournament against predominantly older players. And now he has unlocked his offensive potential. But hey, I guess it wouldn't be fair if the Devils had 3 of the top 4 defense prospects in the world. At least we have Stillman and Salminen who we took before them...

Regarding our guys, Nemec looks amazing. He's showing he has elite upside in nearly any situation. The way he sees the ice and distributes the puck really shows how he could easily be Dougie's successor as the PP QB in the future. I definitely see him going on an absolute tear when he's back with Utica. As a side note, I hope Holtz is there with him, doing the same.

Luke Hughes never fails to amaze me with what he can do when the puck is on his stick. He just cuts through teams' defensemen like an elite forward. I imagine he will be with the Devils next season, and possibly the end of this season, depending on how the rest of the season plays out. But he's someone we will need to be patient with (more so than Nemec, IMO) because he still needs a lot of work on his defensive game. His offense and transition are so good though that I don't think working on his defense is something that can't happen at the NHL level.

Vilen has been talked about a bunch already, but one thing I wanted to point out is that he was Finland's top defenseman. And he outplayed Aleksi Heimosalmi, who was (and is) a pretty highly regarded prospect from the same draft class (second round). Vilen is on a really excellent trajectory, and I wouldn't be surprised if the organization ranks him around Mukhamadullin's level by this time next year.

Hauser is another player with a surprisingly impressive tournament. I would really like a player like that in the Devils' bottom six in the future.

Also, Bedard is on another level. That OT winner against Slovakia was just insane.