Prospects thread 2022-2023

Guadana

Hardly a prospect at this point, but I've caught bits and pieces of Utica games recently, and Holtz looks like a different player. That Utica roster is nothing special, but he is by far the best player. It's great that he wasn't traded, because he looks like he will be ready by next year. 8 points in 8 games down there, despite being interrupted with an injury.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nessus said:

Hardly a prospect at this point, but I've caught bits and pieces of Utica games recently, and Holtz looks like a different player. That Utica roster is nothing special, but he is by far the best player. It's great that he wasn't traded, because he looks like he will be ready by next year. 8 points in 8 games down there, despite being interrupted with an injury.

He’s only 21, and just turned that in January…and this is only his second full pro season.  I’d say he’s still very much a prospect.

I think next year he spends most (if not all) of his time with the Comets.  His overall game still needs a lot of work, and I think the plan is now to refine the many aspects of his game that need improvement, in actual GAMES.  I’m sure there’s probably a bit of a “Hey kid, we know you can pile up points in the AHL, now let’s get you to the point where you can play a passable two-way game in the NHL” approach by the Devils at this point.  Dineen basically said that Holtz won’t get the same leeway with the Devils that he does with the Comets…and said that he needs to work on a lot of deficiencies.  Basically said yeah, he has a big shot…but right now, not really much else.

• Like 2

Holtz is an excellent playmaker, don't minimalize that facet of his game, he's not just a great shot on offense.

The thing he needs to work on are the little things away from the puck, his awareness of where to be, having that be a natural thing and not thinking about it as once you start thinking, you are not really playing.

I don't think he would or should be in the AHL for large periods of time next season, as he needs to learn in the NHL how to be a NHL player.

The AHL can only show him so much of what he needs to learn, this is why he was up and just practicing with the team.

The problem was and is, you can't learn everything from practice, he needs to make mistakes in the NHL and then learm how to fix those by coaching and himself.

The fact the team is so far ahead of where everyone thought they would be put Holtz and the team in a bad spot, but they now admit that was a mistake and hopefully won't ever be repeated for any serious prospect.

He will hopefully finish his season strong and if the Devils are still playing when Utica is finished, he should be brought up to practice with the team and show the coaches what he has learned and then told what he still needs to do over the summer.

You don't give up on 21 year olds who have his talent, again not just a great shot, but his overall offensive talent just because he has flaws in his game.

Now he might never fix those flaws and then the Devils need to decide if his strengths outweigh those and is he someone you can live with not being a total player.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Utica lost 5-2 today, but Nemec has scored in 3 straight games now. 

He was plus 15 coming into today's game, I know plus minus whatever, but it does mean something when you see his and then Walsh is minus 11.

Does anyone know what's up with Dawes? He must have some kind of injury he has not even dressed the past 3 or 4 games even.

18 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

hope he works out. need goal scorers. 

I think we need two-way center for the third line,  and goal scoring forecheckers. Because Tatar and Haula(anti goalscoring) will not be forever with the team. Gritsyuk isn`t forechecker. At least he needs to work a lot. 

But I don`t see a problem here. If we need to, we will find third line center in trade or on  the market. And when he will join the team as more mature and ready dangerous winger, it would immidietly help with depth in play off.  Even if he will sign two years deal - after two years we will have more mature Nemec and Luke on ELC and Arseniy will join the team as more mature player with A LOT of expirience on ELC too. Devils can make a deep run. 

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Guadana said:

I think we need two-way center for the third line,  and goal scoring forecheckers. Because Tatar and Haula(anti goalscoring) will not be forever with the team. Gritsyuk isn`t forechecker. At least he needs to work a lot. 

But I don`t see a problem here. If we need to, we will find third line center in trade or on  the market. And when he will join the team as more mature and ready dangerous winger, it would immidietly help with depth in play off.  Even if he will sign two years deal - after two years we will have more mature Nemec and Luke on ELC and Arseniy will join the team as more mature player with A LOT of expirience on ELC too. Devils can make a deep run. 

I agree with the 3rd line center. I would like a mcloud sized player, but with a lil more talent. 

• Like 1