Prospects thread 2022-2023

Guadana

23 minutes ago, CMONPETEYD said:

Luke Hughes & the Michigan Wolverines get rolling this weekend in the NCAA Tournament. They will be in Allentown Friday & Sunday for those who want to check him out.

https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/print/icehockey-men/d1/2023?utm_campaign=inline-article

Not to mention Seamus Casey and Ethan Edwards

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CMONPETEYD said:

Luke Hughes & the Michigan Wolverines get rolling this weekend in the NCAA Tournament. They will be in Allentown Friday & Sunday for those who want to check him out.

https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/print/icehockey-men/d1/2023?utm_campaign=inline-article

Oh wow, I might have to go to this.  Thanks.   Easy ride from north Philly suburbs for me. 

edit: Ticket purchased for tomorrows double header!

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, nessus said:

A deep run in this tournament could only be good for Luke, but if Michigan loses early, that means Luke comes to NJ sooner. Kind of a win-win situation. I really can't wait to see what Luke can do in a Devils jersey.

More and more I'm thinking as Seves and Graves seem pretty damned certain to sign deals elsewhere for 4+ years @ at least $5 million AAV after this season (just the way of the UFA market), there's no way Luke and Nemec aren't with the big club next year for most of the season.  I can see Fitz possibly signing a vet to a one-year deal as insurance (though I get if he considers Smith such insurance, maybe he doesn't feel like has to), in case he thinks one of them could use a month or two in Utica.

We'll have to be patient and expect some WTF moments, but hopefully neither one of them turn into Seves Part Deux, where the WTF moments just keep on happening season after season after season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

More and more I'm thinking as Seves and Graves seem pretty damned certain to sign deals elsewhere for 4+ years @ at least $5 million AAV after this season (just the way of the UFA market), there's no way Luke and Nemec aren't with the big club next year for most of the season.  I can see Fitz possibly signing a vet to a one-year deal as insurance (though I get if he considers Smith such insurance, maybe he doesn't feel like has to), in case he thinks one of them could use a month or two in Utica.

We'll have to be patient and expect some WTF moments, but hopefully neither one of them turn into Seves Part Deux, where the WTF moments just keep on happening season after season after season.

It would be great if that ends up being the case, but something tells me they'll end up being a bit more patient with Nemec. From what I've seen/read, he still has quite a bit of developing to do before being ready for the NHL. Luke is most definitely going to have his fair share of WTF moments, which will hopefully be limited by playing next to someone as defensively sound as Marino. Nemec is still having quite a few of those in the AHL this season, and hasn't yet unlocked his offensive potential at that level yet. Maybe an offseason is all he needs, and I'm sure he'll get a legitimate look during camp, but I could also see management wanting to take their time and let him dominate the AHL before bringing him up. The jump from the Slovakian league to the NHL is enormous, so I'm not surprised that he's taking his time in between in the AHL. That said, he is still having quite an impressive season down there.

For next season, they could be looking at:

Siegenthaler-Hamilton

L. Hughes-Marino

Bahl-UFA/Smith

with UFA being that Kulikov/Hamonic/Gudas type of player who could possibly sign for two years, and transition to the Brendan Smith role once Nemec is ready.

It's kind of crazy that even with Luke graduating to the Devils, Nemec following shortly after, and Mukhamadullin and Okhotiuk traded, the Devils still have really solid options for 2nd and 3rd pairing players down the road. Casey, Vilen, Edwards, and Orlov are just a handful of players with at least pretty decent shots of making the NHL someday.

• Like 2

Yeah I have zero issue with Nemec not coming up here too quickly if it’s obvious that he’s simply not ready.  His time will come.  

7 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Damon should be nervous watching these highlights

Just like I get nervous watching HIM…

• Like 1

With his 46th goal tonight, Josh Filmon is now 4th in the entire WHL in goals. Two of the players ahead of him are within a handful of goals, and have 1-2 more years of experience. The other is Connor Bedard with 70 goals (lol). That guy is out of control.

But Filmon is now the leading scorer on his team (tied but fewer GP), so he's not just some passenger depending on better teammates. He could definitely turn out to be something.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Nicomo said:

@Lateralous

You saw an absolute wild one!

Thankfully Colgate kept it 1-0 through one but then the flood gates just opened, and it was like an overmated midget game.  I didn’t get to Allentown early enough to see it but the earlier Penn st game was a blowout as well.   8-0.  

The Hughes, Casey, Fantilli perspective aside, I’ve been to a few regionals and they’ve always had much more exciting hockey.  Not sure what the deal is with the all of the terribly lopsided games this year.  I know the tournament used to be 12 teams instead of 16, but jeez   

Edited by Lateralous