Jump to content

Prospects thread 2022-2023


Guadana

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Crisis said:

He's the general manager of a professional hockey team with a team of scouts.  If you buy into that mindset that Daniel, DM84, or whichever other delusional poster put out here that he didn't have a plan for who to pick IN THE FIRST ROUND, you're out of your mind.  My guess is they liked his pedigree and what they saw during his interviews (he does seem charismatic) and then his skill set just didn't develop as fast as they hoped.  Fitzgerald reached for a certain player archetype here with his second 1st round pick, but to say they didn't have a plan has to be insulting.

I do think that might have been part of it. Probably helped Nolan Foote, too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Crisis said:

He's the general manager of a professional hockey team with a team of scouts.  If you buy into that mindset that Daniel, DM84, or whichever other delusional poster put out here that he didn't have a plan for who to pick IN THE FIRST ROUND, you're out of your mind.  My guess is they liked his pedigree and what they saw during his interviews (he does seem charismatic) and then his skill set just didn't develop as fast as they hoped.  Fitzgerald reached for a certain player archetype here with his second 1st round pick, but to say they didn't have a plan has to be insulting.

C’mon, no reason to jump all over me man…I didn’t say he didn’t have a plan…I said the pick almost felt that way because it felt like such a reach.  Yeah Fitz must’ve had a reason for taking him when he did.  I just feel like it was an odd choice.  That’s it.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

C’mon, no reason to jump all over me man…I didn’t say he didn’t have a plan…I said the pick almost felt that way because it felt like such a reach.  Yeah Fitz must’ve had a reason for taking him when he did.  I just feel like it was an odd choice.  That’s it.  

Sorry about the tone.  Definitely not my intention to attack.  I think I'm just scarred from reading so many posts say that Fitz and his staff didn't have a plan going into a draft because that makes no sense whatsoever.  I'm sure they have a plan A-Z for whatever could happen in the 1st round with reasons to back it all up.

But yeah, it's certainly a reach and it's looking even worse in hindsight.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As people say "before the trade".

Hope people will watch this clip because I spent some time to make it. Shakir is #85

 

This video is a cutting of active moments with different situations from the final segment of the season from different games. 

Shakir shows great development this  season. Some people called skating, passing and game under pressure with the puck as his weaknesses. Now its is his dignities. He is still can make turnovers - it`s very fun to watch for haters, but for haters KHL have stats of completed passes - 86.64% - it`s top-5 result from defensemen. 

Shakir is accurate with the puck and very agressive. He can drive by his own, can exit the zone by his own or by a pass, same with offensive transition. And he can create dangerous chances by accurate long passes. He is faster with the puck as puckhandler, that helps him to carry the puck and manage the puck on the blue line. 
He has very hard and accurate shot. Not as potential scorer but as potential creator for rebound chances. This qualities make him good PP blue liner. 

 

He is stronng on the boards and use his stick as  instrument. He isn`t winning all puck battles, but he is very useful. He closing the gaps - big frame helps him and it makes very hard for opponents to find options. But there we should name his real weaknesses - he is often trying to close the zones and sometimes opponents drive the net. Shakir should work more on his game against driving the net. 
Salavat use him as net front protector and he is good in protecting offensive forwards from the puck. In this case he should work on his game in situations when his partner losing his opponents behind the net. It`s tough situation for any defenseman, but I should call all the things I viewed. 
Shakir is a big dude and he spend more microseconds for turning his body, so I don`t think he is good option as SH defenseman, at least as first defensive forecheker, but even this tasks he is trying to complete.

 

Overall Shakir is trying to play in agrssive game as defensive defenseman and as offensive defenseman. He is using his body, closing gaps(it`s very hard to show on video clips, but when Shakir is on his feet, opponents often just cant find opportunities and just cycle the puck) and playing with vision. He made some turn overs this season, but it`s not the "regular" thing anymore and it`s something that happening with defensemen who play qb role. 
Shakir has potetnial to play top-4 role and have good tools for that. I trully think that he can be some kind of version of Severson or Graves - Defenseman with good physics who can join offense and play defensive role competently, but should have defensive active defenseman as partner.  

 

 

Would I trade him for Meier? Absolutetly. For Kane, Reinhart etc? Absolutetly not. Shakir is a player with NHL potential. I don`t think he is really NHL ready, but I saw many of his games after his draft, I saw a lot of Utica games previous season and all of Devils games this season. And I think he is better player than Bahl. He is very interesting prospect and I would say I like our scouting group who was smart enough to find dimond rough. 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/8/2023 at 9:16 PM, devlman said:

Chase Stillman for me remains the oddest use of a first round pick. Fitz threw that one away. I mean, Stillman has fizzled out almost instantly. Never even had a chance to live in the world of ‘let’s see if he has potential’.

Stillman was promoted and drafted by ohl scout, who was fired after the year. He promoted Smith and McLeod before.

 

Its svcks we didn't draft Knives because he is a better version of Stillman(kind if guy they tried to find), but its only Stillman-one guy. They drafted tonns of good prospects, they finally have 2nd round pick year ago(shero was really bad general manager) and drafted very good prospect Casey. So argument about late first pick doesn't work. Especially when we have very good and deep draft. Ofcourse I would be happy if they will land good player for long term, but they should definitely not spend this pick for rentals or bottom players 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Guadana said:

Stillman was promoted and drafted by ohl scout, who was fired after the year. He promoted Smith and McLeod before.

 

Its svcks we didn't draft Knives because he is a better version of Stillman(kind if guy they tried to find), but its only Stillman-one guy. They drafted tonns of good prospects, they finally have 2nd round pick year ago(shero was really bad general manager) and drafted very good prospect Casey. So argument about late first pick doesn't work. Especially when we have very good and deep draft. Ofcourse I would be happy if they will land good player for long term, but they should definitely not spend this pick for rentals or bottom players 

Didn’t know that about the scout. Glad he’s gone and yeah late first-round picks I’d rather shoot for high ceiling gambles like Muk over potential 4th line plugs.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Guadana said:

 

 

 

 

I`m making big video of Bardakov. Again - another huge exclusive you never will find from other teams. Guy is what we need for in bottom six. 

 

 

Great informative post Guadana, this guy and Salminen are the two players I have big hopes for helping the Devils down the middle and or at wing in the bottom 6 in the future. As badly as I want Gritsyuk over here as soon as possible I feel the same way about Bardakov. If they can hit on these players it makes the Cap situation so much easier for the long term, as I think having later round picks who contribute meaningful minutes help teams win Cups.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Patrick Sundstrom Ghost said:

Great informative post Guadana, this guy and Salminen are the two players I have big hopes for helping the Devils down the middle and or at wing in the bottom 6 in the future. As badly as I want Gritsyuk over here as soon as possible I feel the same way about Bardakov. If they can hit on these players it makes the Cap situation so much easier for the long term, as I think having later round picks who contribute meaningful minutes help teams win Cups.

I should say it`s good that Gritsyuk isn`t in nearest future plans for the devils. Like I said before many times he is too good for AHL, but I don`t think he is NHL ready. He isn`t the type of player who would play competently bottom six role. He is top\middle six player. I like his offensive game but he has enough to work on his 200 foot game. And another 1-2 years in KHL will help to develop it better. 

Bardakov has 1 more year on his actual deal. And as bottom-6 player he is NHL ready. If someone can ask me aboout what kind of player he reminds me, I would say Haula. People don`t like Haula because of his lack of scoring, but Haula is good forechecker and help for your team to stay alive. Bardakov for now doesn`t look like top-6 player, but as bottom player, he has a lot of tools to make your bottom better .

 

Salminen is a bad skater. It`s a problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

and don`t forget

On 1/11/2023 at 9:26 PM, MB3 said:

Gritsyuk at 28 points in 48 games played so far this year. Is that not.... super disappointing? He had 28 points in 39 games last year. Why the down-tic in scoring? 

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Clarke for sure has made folks remember why he was such an interesting pick again this season.

This is someone who has history with Jack, really has had numerous seasons ruined and or interupted by injuries plus the pandemic forciing him to be thrown into the professional fire before he was ready and he's still only 21.

If he can play 3rd line minutes and be a guy who with his shot can play hard, he has a really good chance of being a long time NHL player, whether that's here or used in a trade.

Now the other guy to talk about and who should not be traded at all, is Gritsyuk.

I know Guadana thinks he is not ready yet and he needs to finish his overall game, so I will trust him on that, but I really hope he gets the Mook treatment in the next few weeks here.

They should sign him to a deal, bring him over with Mook so he is not alone, and let him skate with the team and even play in Utica for their playoffs if possible.

Then loan him back to the KHL after the coaches show him what they want him to work on next season so a year from now we can talk about getting a really talented player over here at the end of the season without having to trade for one.

Unless he tells the Devils he does not want to play in the US, and we have heard nothing of that, for me he is not someone I am adding to a trade, period.

His skating and shooting are too tantalizing to trade for my taste.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Patrick Sundstrom Ghost said:

Clarke for sure has made folks remember why he was such an interesting pick again this season.

This is someone who has history with Jack, really has had numerous seasons ruined and or interupted by injuries plus the pandemic forciing him to be thrown into the professional fire before he was ready and he's still only 21.

I hadn’t even realized they were in Toronto together as teenagers. Interesting. 

19 minutes ago, Patrick Sundstrom Ghost said:

Now the other guy to talk about and who should not be traded at all, is Gritsyuk.

 

19 minutes ago, Patrick Sundstrom Ghost said:

His skating and shooting are too tantalizing to trade for my taste.

We aren’t going to be able to pickup anyone at all if every single prospect we have is off the table. :P

Personally, I see everyone not named Hughes or Nemec as tradable if the deal is right. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

 

We aren’t going to be able to pickup anyone at all if every single prospect we have is off the table. :P

Personally, I see everyone not named Hughes or Nemec as tradable if the deal is right. 

I agree with you overall, and if you are telling me that it's him and Casey as the lead with the 1st, and you still have Holtz, sure he is tradable.

The problem I have, is when you put him in a 3rd tier of a trade after you already trade two other pieces, that's selling low on a player.

I just think the 2 best offensive prospects are Holtz and Gritsyuk and I don't want to trade both of them when they have so many defensive ones who you can put in a trade instead.

To end this, he is at a lower overall value to others than he is to the Devils I believe, now if his value is higher than I think, then the overall trade will be lower if you include him.

Edited by Patrick Sundstrom Ghost
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/23/2023 at 11:28 AM, Patrick Sundstrom Ghost said:

 

Now the other guy to talk about and who should not be traded at all, is Gritsyuk.

I know Guadana thinks he is not ready yet and he needs to finish his overall game, so I will trust him on that, but I really hope he gets the Mook treatment in the next few weeks here.

They should sign him to a deal, bring him over with Mook so he is not alone, and let him skate with the team and even play in Utica for their playoffs if possible.

Then loan him back to the KHL after the coaches show him what they want him to work on next season so a year from now we can talk about getting a really talented player over here at the end of the season without having to trade for one.

Unless he tells the Devils he does not want to play in the US, and we have heard nothing of that, for me he is not someone I am adding to a trade, period.

His skating and shooting are too tantalizing to trade for my taste.

 

Great mind set. I don`t like star licker, if we would listen to them, we would even not have a chance to trade for Meier.  And now some people are reagy to trade Nemec or Mercer. Crazy stuff. So I don`t care really, because I don`t think that Fitz will act like that. 
I agree that if Devils have a chance to give Gritsyuk a taste of NA ice, it would be a great if he will repeat the path of Shaq. And he still isn`t sign, so the door is open technically.

 

 

_

 

 

 

I will add my review of his game later.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Guadana said:

Great mind set. I don`t like star licker, if we would listen to them, we would even not have a chance to trade for Meier.  And now some people are reagy to trade Nemec or Mercer. Crazy stuff.

Star lickers are the worst. Right up there with sugar puppies. :P

I don’t think there’s really anyone left that would trade Mercer at this point though. At least from what I’ve seen. I’ve certainly changed my mind on it (due to both his elevated play and also some strong arguments against it). And I’ve seen even less people bringing up Nemec this whole time. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Star lickers are the worst. Right up there with sugar puppies. :P

I don’t think there’s really anyone left that would trade Mercer at this point though. At least from what I’ve seen. I’ve certainly changed my mind on it (due to both his elevated play and also some strong arguments against it). And I’ve seen even less people bringing up Nemec this whole time. 

 nope. star lickers are from the other league. Sugar puppies can grow from their childish pants. Luke is on his way(hope people will be patient enough to forgive a kid for his future mistakes, fans are nowhere close to be empathic). Star lickers just cry about every star player they want for any cup hit and any compensation. If we signed Johnny Gaudreaunee, we would even have not a chance to trade for Meier now or trying to sign Pastrnak. And Bratt future would be under bigger question. 
And it`s ok to have a sugar puppy when you trade the fockin Smith away and trade for Siegenthaler, Marino. Fitz is just a smart gm who understand how to build the winning team. I read a lot of whining team builders, they were wrong.

 

People who was ready to send Mercer - were exist. Even you and I never thought that you are a bad case. People who is ready to send Nemec exist too. Just read more social media. Btw I`m proud for my vk group with our fans. Only 2 people in poll voited for Mercer trade. 
Mercer`s trade status doesnt apply to his actual hot streak. Hot streaks come to an end. Mercer is a great player overall, who makes impact on the both ends of the rink. He outproduced Meier in his age and he is two way winger who potentially can play center role(I`m not sure about it). And of course smart GM will save player of this lavel of talent because of cap hit, potential, depth, producing windows, years of control etc. 

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.