2022 Training Camp thread

MadDog2020

9 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Well now that Tom said that, some fans will take it as an unshakable promise completely ignoring any possible context and players health through the season lol IF everything goes well we should push for a playoffs spot and have a shot. But if we get injuries like we did last year, it's still not going to happen.

Our entire top 9  and top 4 d could die in a bus crash and we'd have to play junior players the entire season and some fans would still be like "Fitz PROMISED we'd make the playoffs this season but then sat on his hand all year and the season was over by december 🤬 and now we're getting another lottery pick!"

How many voices do you usually hear in your head at any given time?

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Well now that Tom said that, some fans will take it as an unshakable promise completely ignoring any possible context and players health through the season lol IF everything goes well we should push for a playoffs spot and have a shot. But if we get injuries like we did last year, it's still not going to happen.

Our entire top 9  and top 4 d could die in a bus crash and we'd have to play junior players the entire season and some fans would still be like "Fitz PROMISED we'd make the playoffs this season but then sat on his hand all year and the season was over by december 🤬 and now we're getting another lottery pick!"

15 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

You’re starting a little early with the straw man argument this year. No one even said anything. 

27 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

And when they win 50% of their games through December we'll look back at this and chuckle. 

I mean, need anything be added here? 

16 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

You’re starting a little early with the straw man argument this year. No one even said anything. 

Yeah, SD definitely will attempt to make a point with waaaaaay over-the-top hypothetical scenarios that right from the get-go largely invalidate what he's going for.

That being said, in SD's defense, he's more talking about, say, if Hughes were to miss a few months, Hischier was banged up, injuries to other key players, etc, and then people expect Fitz to perform miracles in finding fill-ins to approximate what's been lost...yeah, only so much you can do when you get slammed with injuries.  Devils have accumulated some nice young players with considerable upside, but aren't yet so deep that they could ever afford to lose certain guys and expect to win consistently.

That being said, if the team is healthy and simply not performing, Fitz has gotta show Ruff the door...and being that Fitz brought in Burnette, I think he knows that too.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

And when they win 50% of their games through December we'll look back at this and chuckle. 

If they're accumulating SO and OT loss points along the way, winning half your games isn't so terrible, really.  Say the Devils go 13-8-5 through their first 26 games, and looking like they're headed in the right direction.  I can live with that. 

how I’m thinking this went:

Palatt: “wait, you want me to be here…? Why…?”

Ruff: “well I drew this up during nap time after my afternoon jello and it seemed to work.”

Palatt: “yeah, but I won two cups being here and doing this…”

Brylin, to himself: “this old guy won’t make it to Thanksgiving…” as he skates away.

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I could look at the Rolex product line and pick out 15 I like with zero effort, not so much with Hublot. 

Anyone who wants my number needs to provide a Rolex. 

100%. Hublot’s are quality timepieces, but many of them are too gaudy for me. I’m a Tag Heuer guy; I have three of them and they are the best watches I’ve ever owned. Rolex is the standard though. It’s Rolex or bust if you want my number. 

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

100%. Hublot’s are quality timepieces, but many of them are too gaudy for me. I’m a Tag Heuer guy; I have three of them and they are the best watches I’ve ever owned. Rolex is the standard though. It’s Rolex or bust if you want my number. 

I don't know about the quality, like I said I am not a watch guy, but some of those Hublots are super ugly. And I like a big watch, and I still think they are ugly. 

Never had a Tag, personally, though they have the look I usually go for. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, MB3 said:

there’s at least one degree of insanity between people memeing about a bizarre mid-season press conference last year and saying “our entire team could die in a bus crash and then we wouldn’t make the playoffs”

Or its just overly hyperbolized, but I think that was the point. It's weird to pretend you don't recognize that just because you don't like the guy who said it. 

As far as degrees of insanity go, I mean, neither you nor I should be talking about that with some of the sh!t we've said. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I like the offseason for the most part and I think Fitz is right. Jack should be stepping up and hopefully avoiding injuries. A tandem of Vanecek and a healthy Blackwood should be solid. Nico, Mercer, Sharangovich, Bratt, all a year older and theoretically better. I like the additions of Marino, Haula, and Palat. Maybe Holtz surprises us, maybe Nemec makes a case for himself. 

I’m not expecting playoff success but I think this team can sneak in or at least be in the conversation if we don’t go full catastrophic mode like last year. 

I do think this team makes a little run in the playoffs in the next 2-4 years and that officially ends our time as a league joke and puts us in the young team on the rise conversation. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I don't know about the quality, like I said I am not a watch guy, but some of those Hublots are super ugly. And I like a big watch, and I still think they are ugly. 

Would highly recommend you get one man. Absolutely the best watches I’ve ever owned. My newest acquisition:

B80246DB-9B09-4A5F-B639-FD66F5AD5D49.jpeg

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Would highly recommend you get one man. Absolutely the best watches I’ve ever owned. My newest acquisition:

B80246DB-9B09-4A5F-B639-FD66F5AD5D49.jpeg

Yep, that's right up my alley. If you want my number, I will accept one of those. But only from you, everyone else has to do the Rolex. :) 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I'm expecting him to not make the team, but it would really be cool if he made that decision very difficult. 

Yeah I don’t think starting the year in Utica would be the worst thing for him. It would probably be really good experience to not have to have all that pressure on him. If talks with Severson break down and he’s traded, a spot opens up for Nemec to step in later in the season. And of course… injuries are always a thing. Not much else on the right side other than Walsh after the NHLers 

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I’m not expecting playoff success but I think this team can sneak in or at least be in the conversation if we don’t go full catastrophic mode like last year.

I think the playoffs are a possibility but it's a tight window. Are the Devils good enough to overtake the Caps? I think ... maybe.

21 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I’m not ready to say playoffs or bust. The devils are adding 2 MAJOR pieces to the blue line next year. Their “contention window” should start then.

This year I just need to see solid improvement across the board. Big steps towards being a competent, middle of the pack NHL team with tremendous future upside.

This is pretty fair, really.  As much as it's hard to stay patient, not everyone who's supposed to be a part of this thing are here just yet.

BUT, they should be pretty consistently competitive this year, and relatively entertaining.  As long as the team stays reasonably healthy, I don't think 90 points is out of the realm of possibility...not saying that they're some lock for that, but I could see it happening.    

• Like 2

https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/bernier-plays-smith-stands-out-in-first-scrimmage-of-camp--feature/c-335722070?fbclid=IwAR3D8jilnEURTKcPh4fMUmGoumZqVjPtJ0XHEpYIp1cOXb02aLkScksubO8

Really didn’t expect Bernier to be playing already. Looks like he’s still a ways off from being cleared for games but him playing the first scrimmage is encouraging. 

• Like 4