2022 Training Camp thread

MadDog2020

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I didn’t mind ZZPop either.  H2O isn’t too too bad.  But yeah like others have mentioned, sometimes it’s just not there…don’t try to make it happen.

H20 is bad because they haven’t event used that line in a pre-season game and people are already trying to name it. And one of the guys potentially might not even make the team. 

I think Holtz does make the team, but that decision won’t be made based on two scrimmage games. 

Edited by mfitz804

Just now, mfitz804 said:

H20 is bad because they haven’t event used that line in a pre-season game and people are already trying to name it. 

Meh, hear what you're saying, but it's a little harmless excitement, for a few players to hopefully show some chemistry come the regular season.  If nothing ever comes of "H2O" beyond scrimmages, so be it.  

55 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

H20 is bad because they haven’t event used that line in a pre-season game and people are already trying to name it. And one of the guys potentially might not even make the team. 

I think Holtz does make the team, but that decision won’t be made based on two scrimmage games. 

I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. It was just a random joke someone made on twitter after Holtz scored 2 in the first scrimmage.

Just think of it as people having a little fun, just without wiener jokes. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I think Holtz does make the team, but that decision won’t be made based on two scrimmage games

Of course not, which is why I said "out of preseason".    

20 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. It was just a random joke someone made on twitter after Holtz scored 2 in the first scrimmage.

Just think of it as people having a little fun, just without wiener jokes

Right and that takes all of the fun out of it. 

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Of course not, which is why I said "out of preseason".    

Right, but they haven't even PLAYED together in the preseason, let alone in an actual game, let along actually having accomplished anything so as to warrant a line nickname. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I didn't wanna make a new thread for preseason but we have done preseason GDTs before if anyone feels so inclined.

I'm gonna assume this game will be on the Devil's YouTube page like the scrimmages were

From Twitter is seems only on ESPN+ for out of market subscribers. RDS in Canada is broadcasting it.

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Right, but they haven't even PLAYED together in the preseason, let alone in an actual game, let along actually having accomplished anything so as to warrant a line nickname. 

Look at what I quoted in my last post...I was referring to Holtz specifically, not the line name.  

15 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Look at what I quoted in my last post...I was referring to Holtz specifically, not the line name.  

My post was referencing the people naming his line when he hasn’t even made the team and has only played two scrimmages, which is what I was referring back to in the part you quoted.   I wasn’t suggesting that you believe Holtz should make the team based on scrimmages. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I don't care about line names. I thought they were super cool when I was like 13. I'm assuming most people who get all giddy about line names are that age too.

But, re: the bolded. He wouldn't be playing on the 1st line in scrimmages if he weren't playing well in practice. And if we're not allowed to look at practices or scrimmages to determine whether or not we think he'll make the team, what should we use? 

Dawson Mercer played his way onto the roster last year because of how well he played in practice, how well he played in the scrimmages and eventually how well he played in preseason. It would be a disappointment of colossal magnitude if all of this good press and great "eye test" stuff didn't result in him making the roster and playing a top-6 role off the jump next year. 

I didn't say you can't use the scrimmages as part of the analysis. I said the decision would not be based on two scrimmage games. And I didn't say anything about practices. Clearly you must agree with me as you have also added practices and pre-season games in as part of the analysis for Mercer last year. So you would agree, then, that scrimmages are not the basis of the decision?

Edited by mfitz804

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

Since we don't watch practices, we just have to try our hardest to squeeeeze our little braincells together to deduce that a kid getting significant playing time on the top line means he's been practicing well. And since there haven't been any preseason games yet, can we agree, then, that you're being pedantic for the sake of pedantry? 

I'd say that you are. I said it wouldn't be based on scrimmages, and now you've doubled down on it also being based on practice. So clearly you agree its not based only on scrimmages. So maybe this is just another example of a time you try to move the goalposts to make yourself look smart, when really you've added zero to the conversation. 

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

If I say "Tim is great at juggling, watch this!", it stands to reason that Tim has spent several hours practicing how to juggle.

The fact that Holtz is playing the top-line in the scrimmages means he's been practicing well, even if CR didn't explicitly say so. 

I'm not trying to make myself look smart. I'm trying to make you look stupid. 

You aren't good at either. And you probably can't juggle. 

You clearly didn't read my post where I said that he will make the team and it won't be based on two scrimmages. Or, having read it, you didn't understand. Or, as stated above, you just thought you would start talking about something else and move the goalposts. 

Edited by mfitz804

26 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Not sure if it is true, but I read on Twitter the only place to see the game tonight is the app. Hopefully mtl is streaming it somewhere because I don't plan on getting this stupid app just to watch the game.

The club is promoting the app to watch the game. Can’t be any worse than watching a stream, can it?

I just downloaded the app in preparation for this evening. It seems ok. Typical stuff, video clips, standings, statistics, etc., plus you can buy tickets and merch.  There is also a menu option called "Game Day" where you can get a map of the arena, see what all of the available food options are, and it looks like you can order by phone and go pick it up, which I was not previously aware was an option if that existed previously. 

You pick a specific view when you sign in, Devils or Prudential Center. I picked Devils, obviously, but found there is a menu option to switch views, click that and you get all of the upcoming non-Devils events at the arena. 

I guess we'll all see tonight how good or bad the stream is. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I just downloaded the app in preparation for this evening. It seems ok. Typical stuff, video clips, standings, statistics, etc., plus you can buy tickets and merch.  There is also a menu option called "Game Day" where you can get a map of the arena, see what all of the available food options are, and it looks like you can order by phone and go pick it up, which I was not previously aware was an option if that existed previously. 

You pick a specific view when you sign in, Devils or Prudential Center. I picked Devils, obviously, but found there is a menu option to switch views, click that and you get all of the upcoming non-Devils events at the arena. 

I guess we'll all see tonight how good or bad the stream is. 

Looks like you can also find parking and train tickets too. That all sounds pretty convenient if it works properly. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56