2022 Training Camp thread

MadDog2020

19 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Important takeaway: He didn’t play a perfect game, he may still need some development, but Nemec did not look out of place. 

Agree, that’s more or less what I was thinking:  the kid’s not looking out of place among men.  Had some nice “oh yeah there’s some skill” moments too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Zetterlund is gonna guarantee his spot on the team. He’s playing really well  

Schmid looked solid 

I really like how there’s legitimate competition for spots. A lot of the kids are looking good and fighting for that spot. Would be nice to see a Boqvist or Zetterlund knock McLeod out of the lineup.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

New PBP dude seems sharp, I’ll have to get used to his voice but he seems like he’s doing a good job. 

Agree, he’s solid and will only get better I imagine.  I like him already.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Fun game to be at even if it's pre-season, was just nice being at the arena again. Guys played well and scored some nice goals, some solid goaltending too. 

Noticed they are building 4 different things in the black club seats in sections 7/9/18/20. No clue what they are though, maybe some sorta suite type deal inside the clubs? Didn't really look like anything yet. 

That was a fun game. This half-roster that is missing the team captain, arguably the team's best player from the previous season, and 2 of the top 4 defensemen - still looked better than some of the recent regular season lineups we have had. Lots to be excited about.

There really are going to be some tough decisions for Fitz. I agree with @MB3 with how the lines seem to be shaping up. 

If they do end up going with:

Palat-Hughes-Holtz

Sharangovich-Hischier-Bratt

Wood-Haula-Mercer

That leaves 3 spots for: Zetterlund, McLeod, Bastian, Boqvist, Tatar, and Johnsson. 

I think that of this group, Zetterlund deserves a spot. I would also take Boqvist over McLeod. I have no idea what Fitz plans to do with the rest of them. I wouldn't be too upset to see McLeod and Bastian go. Johnsson and Tatar will be more challenging to get rid of, but I could see Tatar having some degree of a return to form.

I really hope Holtz doesn't become a casualty of this logjam of bottom six players, since he is still ineligible for waivers. In that instance, Tatar probably takes the RW3 spot, and pushes Mercer up a line, and then Sharangovich up with Hughes and Palat. Although with this "cramping" situation that Nico is having, you never know whether there will be another opening.

Edited by nessus
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, nessus said:

That was a fun game. This half-roster that is missing the team captain, arguably the team's best player from the previous season, and 2 of the top 4 defensemen - still looked better than some of the recent regular season lineups we have had. Lots to be excited about.

There really are going to be some tough decisions for Fitz. I agree with @MB3 with how the lines seem to be shaping up. 

Palat-Hughes-Holtz

Wood-Haula-Mercer

That leaves 3 spots for: Zetterlund, McLeod, Bastian, Boqvist, Tatar, and Johnsson. 

I think that of this group, Zetterlund deserves a spot. I would also take Boqvist over McLeod. I have no idea what Fitz plans to do with the rest of them. I wouldn't be too upset to see McLeod and Bastian go. Johnsson and Tatar will be more challenging to get rid of, but I could see Tatar having some degree of a return to form.

I really hope Holtz doesn't become a casualty of this logjam of bottom six players, since he is still ineligible for waivers. In that instance, Tatar probably takes the RW3 spot, and pushes Mercer up a line, and then Sharangovich up with Hughes and Palat. Although with this "cramping" situation that Nico is having, you never know whether there will be another opening.

Tatar stayed in MTL to spend time with Slafkovsky and that other prospect after the game. He'd be a good mentor for them... so lets ship him back over there lol

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Here's the PA guy who did a good job last night, apparently he did a Rangers playoff game last year too but this is a good sample for anyone who didn't hear hear him last night... 

Wh as t a strange job to have . It's even more weird seeing someone actually doing it. Although I don't find it wierd to see Bruce Buffer essentially doing the same job in the Octogon. 

9 hours ago, nessus said:

Palat-Hughes-Holtz

Wood-Haula-Mercer

of that group tatar has the highest possibility for 40 points, and is a good hedge bet if holtz stalls.  I dont see him not making the team.. 

Really fun game last night, just about everyone you wanted to look good played well last night. Palat seems to be a perfect complement for Jack, they were working like hand and glove it seemed, hopefully Holtz sticks with them and can be that pure finishing presence because that's shaping up to be a really good line. Zetterlund is making it really difficult on the coaching staff and management to get rid of him, I have to believe he's on the opening night roster, there's almost no chance he passes through waivers. There are too many bodies and not enough spots it seems like, I'm still wondering if at some point we see someone like Johnsson traded to free up that numbers game a bit, there are 15 forwards that seem deserving of being on this team and only 14 spots to give. At this point I feel like we're looking at:

Palat - Hughes - Holtz
Sharangovich - Hischier - Bratt
Wood - Haula - Mercer
Tatar - Boqvist - Zetterlund
Johnsson/McLeod/Bastian

Siegenthaler - Hamilton
Graves - Severson
Bahl - Marino
Smith

Blackwood/Vanecek

Also I thought the new play-by-play guy was really good, he'll keep settling in but he felt very natural, really good choice to replace Cangy. The PA announcer also sounded like he was solid, although I would take just about anything over last year's disaster.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

How did Thompson look the other night?    They were high on him last year before the injury

I thought he was alright against Montreal, didn't show anything special but didn't play poorly either by any means. He's waiver exempt so I have to assume he'll be a victim to the numbers game, he'll probably be top line in Utica to start the year

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Really fun game last night, just about everyone you wanted to look good played well last night. Palat seems to be a perfect complement for Jack, they were working like hand and glove it seemed, hopefully Holtz sticks with them and can be that pure finishing presence because that's shaping up to be a really good line. Zetterlund is making it really difficult on the coaching staff and management to get rid of him, I have to believe he's on the opening night roster, there's almost no chance he passes through waivers. There are too many bodies and not enough spots it seems like, I'm still wondering if at some point we see someone like Johnsson traded to free up that numbers game a bit, there are 15 forwards that seem deserving of being on this team and only 14 spots to give. At this point I feel like we're looking at:

Palat - Hughes - Holtz
Sharangovich - Hischier - Bratt
Wood - Haula - Mercer
Tatar - Boqvist - Zetterlund
Johnsson/McLeod/Bastian

Siegenthaler - Hamilton
Graves - Severson
Bahl - Marino
Smith

Blackwood/Vanecek

Also I thought the new play-by-play guy was really good, he'll keep settling in but he felt very natural, really good choice to replace Cangy. The PA announcer also sounded like he was solid, although I would take just about anything over last year's disaster.

I would be very surprised if both Johnsson and Tatar are with the team for the season opener.  Johnsson's only got one year left, though given what he's managed as an NHLer to date, I can see the Devils eating some of his money and dealing him off for a 6th or 7th-rounder.  I can see them hanging onto Tatar mostly due to the fact that he's a vet.  But if Holtz sticks, one of them is gone (or should be).

Really wish whatever Fitz sees in Geertsen, that he'd stop seeing it.  

1 minute ago, CommonDreads said:

I thought he was alright against Montreal, didn't show anything special but didn't play poorly either by any means. He's waiver exempt so I have to assume he'll be a victim to the numbers game, he'll probably be top line in Utica to start the year

Same, he didn't really stand out either way, positively or negatively.

7 minutes ago, CMONPETEYD said:

you guys have to remember we usually have a few key starters out with injuries... i wouldn't trade that depth unless they absolutely have to .

No one's forgetting that, but with the exception of the start of last season (mostly due to a bloated shooting%), Johnsson's done VERY little here, and there's kids who I'd rather see get a look, if it comes to that.  Johnsson's on an expiring deal and he's pretty much played himself out of an extension here.  Devils don't have to hang onto every last warm body.  

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

No one's forgetting that, but with the exception of the start of last season (mostly due to a bloated shooting%), Johnsson's done VERY little here, and there's kids who I'd rather see get a look, if it comes to that.  Johnsson's on an expiring deal and he's pretty much played himself out of an extension here.  Devils don't have to hang onto every last warm body.  

Johnsson's season last year would have looked even worse if he hadn't come out a little hot to start the season, like you mentioned. He is a detriment to the team at this point, and if the Redfaced Wonder can take his roster spot, I will be happy with that. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

If someone like Boqvist or Zetterlund is waived to make room for Geertsen, I'm going to lose my mind

If Zetterlund was ever waived to make room for Geersten I wouldn’t lose my mind- I’m pretty sure my head would explode, taking my mind with it. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Probably a topic for a later date, but really will be interesting to see how both Graves' and Seves' situations shake themselves out.  Three D are locked in for 5+ years:  Hamilton, Siegs, and Marino.  Hughes and Nemec are going to be a part of this thing very soon...both are almost definitely going to be with the team to start the 2023-24 season.  Bahl and/or Okhotiuk (not to mention Muk, who's easy to forget) figure to get their chances too.  Of course, in the end, all depends on where the Devils find themselves near the deadline...almost hard to believe that a team that's been starved for D (that one's for you mfitz) suddenly might see a couple of them become expendable, and fairly soon.

8 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

If someone like Boqvist or Zetterlund is waived to make room for Geertsen, I'm going to lose my mind

Geertsen is a mulletted clown on skates...he's barely a hockey player...I don't get the fascination, I really don't.  I know he only played in 25 games last season, but that felt like 25 too many.  There's gotta be SOMEONE who brings more than that guy.  

• Like 2