2022 Training Camp thread

MadDog2020

So the last teams to go undefeated in the preseason were the ‘16 Avs and last years Yotes, or something to that degree (worst teams in the modern era). Either way I welcome our loss cause that, in theory, means we won’t be absolute dog sh!t, via the transitive property, of course

source: my alcohol level currently and me believing things I see on the internet 

I know it's only preseason, but I'm so done with Johnsson. As someone who can appreciate advanced stats, I really do not care what they say about Johnsson, because the eye test is just so obvious. 

Blackwood looked very good.

Hughes is still incredible.

Rough game from the defense.

Bratt didn't play well, but not concerned about that.

We need Nico back ASAP.

Okhotiuk is an animal, and this kind of thing is what I think Fitz will value in his game:

• Like 3

Devils will need a real head coach at some point.

But yeah, Blackwood played insanely well, in what is obviously a “now or never kid” season for him.  Game had no business being as close on the scoreboard as it was.

Team still going through some nASS-detox.  Just keep at it.

• Like 1

First round of cuts. Nothing surprising other than Stillman going back to juniors instead of the AHL. Didn’t realize he still has another year in junior. 

Assigned to Utica (AHL):

Forwards: Samuel Laberge, Xavier Parent, Nolan Stevens, Garrett Van Wyhe

Defensemen: Fillip Bratt, Jarrod Gourley

Goaltender: Isaac Poulter

Assigned to their Junior/European teams:

G Tyler Brennan, Prince George (WHL)

F Josh Filmon, Swift Current (WHL)

F Chase Stillman, Peterborough (OHL)

D Topias Vilen, Pelicans (Liiga, Finland)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

The comments about doing this at a pre-season game are rough, if this is any of you here then don't read them lol...

I’m not sure anything is more “Jersey” than the ring on the hand picture with the giant nails at a Devils game. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, nessus said:

I know it's only preseason, but I'm so done with Johnsson. As someone who can appreciate advanced stats, I really do not care what they say about Johnsson, because the eye test is just so obvious. 

We need Nico back ASAP.

Okhotiuk is an animal, and this kind of thing is what I think Fitz will value in his game:

Primary point of contact: dead center of the chest. 

I am big fan. That'll knock all the air out of your lungs.

I am a simple man. Big boom. I clap like seal. 

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, nessus said:

I think you can rest assured that if he's taking a regular shift this season, it's because a better player is hurt or Johnsson is playing well. In recent years, that's a position the Devils have not been in. There's more depth now.

During the telecast, Daneyko highlighting his plus-4 rating last year was pretty funny.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nessus said:

I'm not really sold on him. I don't think he's bad, but with Wood healthy and all the younger and better players we have than him. 

He's a victim of new depth and he doesn't look awful when playing with skilled guys, but if we do 1 to 1 comparisons throughout the lineup there aren't many where I say Johnsson is better considering where he lands in the depth chart.

Mercer? No. Holtz? No. Haula? Nope. Wood? No. Tatar? Nope. Even Bastian and McLeod?? I would pick those 4th liners before I would dress Johnsson. 

Nolan Foote is knocking on the door as a big 4th liner and Holtz is looking like he belongs in the top 6 so I just don't know where Johnsson fits. 

It's probably best to move him for a bag of pucks or stash him in the minors before waivers kick in. I don't think our depth will notice but Fitz is probably paranoid about the injury bug. 

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

I'm not really sold on him. I don't think he's bad, but with Wood healthy and all the younger and better players we have than him. 

He's a victim of new depth and he doesn't look awful when playing with skilled guys, but if we do 1 to 1 comparisons throughout the lineup there aren't many where I say Johnsson is better considering where he lands in the depth chart.

Mercer? No. Holtz? No. Haula? Nope. Wood? No. Tatar? Nope. Even Bastian and McLeod?? I would pick those 4th liners before I would dress Johnsson. 

Nolan Foote is knocking on the door as a big 4th liner and Holtz is looking like he belongs in the top 6 so I just don't know where Johnsson fits. 

It's probably best to move him for a bag of pucks or stash him in the minors before waivers kick in. I don't think our depth will notice but Fitz is probably paranoid about the injury bug. 

Which is fair considering his injury prone Captain played 6 min 24 seconds into this season and he's already out with an injury.

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

On 10/1/2022 at 5:17 AM, nessus said:

We need Nico back ASAP.

Johnsson can't click and losing meters in the game everywhere. 

Okhotiuk is good and better on the short distances, better positionally but Bahl better with the puck and close gaps more. I think they prefer Bahl,at least for now.

22 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

First round of cuts. Nothing surprising other than Stillman going back to juniors instead of the AHL. Didn’t realize he still has another year in junior. 

Assigned to Utica (AHL):

Forwards: Samuel Laberge, Xavier Parent, Nolan Stevens, Garrett Van Wyhe

Defensemen: Fillip Bratt, Jarrod Gourley

Goaltender: Isaac Poulter

Assigned to their Junior/European teams:

G Tyler Brennan, Prince George (WHL)

F Josh Filmon, Swift Current (WHL)

F Chase Stillman, Peterborough (OHL)

D Topias Vilen, Pelicans (Liiga, Finland)

He is first candidate for "bust" nomination in Fitz era. I understand what kind if game he us trying to play, but he needs to gain a lot of muscles and working on his game very hard.

7 hours ago, Guadana said:

Johnsson can't click and losing meters in the game everywhere. 

Okhotiuk is good and better on the short distances, better positionally but Bahl better with the puck and close gaps more. I think they prefer Bahl,at least for now.

He is first candidate for "bust" nomination in Fitz era. I understand what kind if game he us trying to play, but he needs to gain a lot of muscles and working on his game very hard.

I didn't understand the pick then, still don't now, but we all said Holtz looked sh!tty last year, and then he went full out monster mode building muscle and working his game. I don't think there's any reason Stillman can't show that kind of dedication and build into his frame. His game, on the other hand, could very well keep him in "bust" territory.

People are too willing to put a “bust” label on a guy. He’s 19, still playing in Juniors, and has not even had an opportunity yet at the NHL level. That’s not a bust, that just means he wasn’t a top 5 pick and wasn’t rushed to the NHL. 

I’m not saying he WON’T be a bust, he may be, but it’s too early for that label.

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

People are too willing to put a “bust” label on a guy. He’s 19, still playing in Juniors, and has not even had an opportunity yet at the NHL level. That’s not a bust, that just means he wasn’t a trip 5 puck and wasn’t rushed to the NHL. 

I’m not saying he WON’T be a bust, he may be, but it’s too early for that label.

What the hell is a trip 5 puck? :lol: