2022 Training Camp thread

MadDog2020

6 hours ago, jagknife said:

I didn't understand the pick then, still don't now, but we all said Holtz looked sh!tty last year, and then he went full out monster mode building muscle and working his game. I don't think there's any reason Stillman can't show that kind of dedication and build into his frame. His game, on the other hand, could very well keep him in "bust" territory.

I agree - was not a fan of the pick then, despite trying to be optimistic about it. There are some good parts to Stillman's game. He can be physical and tenacious. And he's also got some surprisingly good skills: underrated passing, vision, and shooting. But he is just so incredibly far from putting it together at this point. I feel that management fell in love with his attitude and his playing style. And if he reaches that ceiling, he will be a very useful player. But these things need to be considered alongside hard evidence that a player can produce. And Stillman has not had a single season that indicates that he is on track to be that kind of player. Another junior season hovering around 1 point per game is not going to look good for him.

What really stings about that pick is that Raty was available. Many of us were screaming for Fitz to take Raty when he was still available near the end of the first. I worry that Raty is the 2021 version of Brayden Point: a player who was so obviously the player to take outside the first round, but many teams skipped on him. I hope I'm wrong about that.

6 hours ago, jagknife said:

I didn't understand the pick then, still don't now, but we all said Holtz looked sh!tty last year, and then he went full out monster mode building muscle and working his game. I don't think there's any reason Stillman can't show that kind of dedication and build into his frame. His game, on the other hand, could very well keep him in "bust" territory.

Holtz was looking good when he played healthy.  I saw him before the draft day, I watching him closely after. He wasn`t ready for NHL last year, but he was good in AHL, he wasn`t ready enough and I would say he wasn`t healthy enough for AHL year before, but he was very good in the first half of the season year before. He wasn`t no where close to name him a bust anywhere. Only if someone had some high expectaions or was biased. Someone can call him bust if he will not light up NHL this year, but in reality for his way of the game it`s way to early for that kind of mark. 
And he was drafted where he should. For example Shakir was drafted higher, but he played solid enough to not worry about him at least at this moment of development.

Stillman wasn`t good at all last year. And we are talking about OHL. It wasn`t SHL or AHL. He can`t finish his checks, he loses posession, he loses zones to cover, he open zones for opponents. He should work a lot on his game. And his path is long. It`s not that bad, he can develope his game 4 more years or even more, we have Bastian and Zetterlund, we can try Clark in top-9, Mercer and Holtz are still there. Even if he will not pan out - nothing dangerous. Prospect pool is great. But in the moment of time we could draft Morrow and draft Perevalov this year instead of Casey, or draft Knies instead of Stillman. Stillman wasn`t as good to be picked even 10-15 picks later like Shakir in his year.  

Anyway it isn`t nothing special, Tampa and Colorado drafted enough of bad picks. It`s important how you can compensate it by later picks. Devils drafted a lot of good players in later rounds.

9 hours ago, jagknife said:

The fact that he has an NHL father might help him with the little things it takes to make the league. I think he was a stretch where he was picked but it’s just too early to throw any labels out yet. 

3 hours ago, nessus said:

I agree - was not a fan of the pick then, despite trying to be optimistic about it. There are some good parts to Stillman's game. He can be physical and tenacious. And he's also got some surprisingly good skills: underrated passing, vision, and shooting. But he is just so incredibly far from putting it together at this point. I feel that management fell in love with his attitude and his playing style. And if he reaches that ceiling, he will be a very useful player. But these things need to be considered alongside hard evidence that a player can produce. And Stillman has not had a single season that indicates that he is on track to be that kind of player. Another junior season hovering around 1 point per game is not going to look good for him.

What really stings about that pick is that Raty was available. Many of us were screaming for Fitz to take Raty when he was still available near the end of the first. I worry that Raty is the 2021 version of Brayden Point: a player who was so obviously the player to take outside the first round, but many teams skipped on him. I hope I'm wrong about that.

Wasn’t there a reason Raty plummeted? I remember reading about him being a top 10 pick and then all of a sudden everyone cooled on him 

32 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Wasn’t there a reason Raty plummeted? I remember reading about him being a top 10 pick and then all of a sudden everyone cooled on him 

Not only top 10, he was talked about as the potential #1OA for a while. It was quite a drop. 

15 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Great seasons built the hype followed by not great seasons. I think I remember hearing that it was, in large part, that the pressure got to him. The world was also very much in the middle of covid at the time so it isn't like he had the best circumstances to change people's perception once he fell off.

15 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

i read articles saying that the reason he dropped was because... "he wasn't given a chance in his draft year" and didnt play enough.

Which sounds like BS to me. We've seen guys still going in the top 5-10 even if they barely played in their draft year and didn't even post amazing numbers. so there has to be more to it than that. You don't go from projected first overall to mid second round cause you didn't play enough lol

He plummeted because he didn’t seem to progress during his draft year. It was the COVID year, so scouting was a challenge for most prospects. Plus it can interfere with a player’s development. But when he made it past the mid-first, it seemed like a steal. 

34 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:
Little bit of a shuffle of the top lines, Hughes with Sharangovich and Bratt now. Not sure I like Mercer and Holtz with Tatar

I like that third line. 

I hate Johnsson on any line.

At least no Geertsen tonight.  

• Like 3

Just now, nessus said:

No Zacha tonight for the Bruins. When he makes his return to NJ, they should do a “thank you” video for him, consisting of clips of him coasting and shooting six feet wide of the net.

End of video, "Thank You" appears across the screen, and then fades into the word "ALMOST". 

• Haha 3

I'm going to the game but I'm surprised this game isn't on MSG tonight with it being a home game, I know they don't show all the road games for pre-season when they play at teams that aren't the Rangers/Islanders but I thought they usually put all the home games on and they have nothing else on tonight anyway. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

15 minutes ago, nessus said:

No Zacha tonight for the Bruins. When he makes his return to NJ, they should do a “thank you” video for him, consisting of clips of him coasting and shooting six feet wide of the net.

Crazy as it sounds (and as much as I don't want to see it), if they did one for Bastian...

15 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

End of video, "Thank You" appears across the screen, and then fades into the word "ALMOST". 

Winner