2022 Training Camp thread

MadDog2020

29 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Also the league can fvck off with this sh!t, never ends with them and this bullsh!t... 

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-debuts-digitally-enhanced-dasherboards/c-335945996

These owners would tattoo ads right onto the players foreheads if they thought it would make them an extra nickel 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

These owners would tattoo ads right onto the players foreheads if they thought it would make them an extra nickel 

Some might, some wouldn’t. How many teams have jersey ads so far? 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, pumpkin cutter said:

I thought bahl had a good game. Hard to judge anything off this game because it was so sloppy overall. 

I agree. Hard to play against, not the most fleet afoot, but he makes a good case to win a job. He played every other shift in the 3rd period.  Jack couldn't buy a goal last night.  

Thought the boys played really well last night overall, Jack's line especially was really snake bitten but they could have easily walked away with three goals themselves, we hit 4 posts so the 1-0 final didn't feel indicative to me of how we actually played.

Vanecek looks so rock solid back there, if we can get good seasons out of him and Blackwood that's going to be huge for the team's playoff hopes. Johnsson I feel like knows he's playing himself off of this roster, guy has looked invisible for all of camp and I don't know what he was thinking on that botched breakaway last night, I'd rather have someone in our bottom six that fits more of a physicality/defensive role than a skill forward who doesn't score. Voo-kee-yay-vich also had a nice game last night, good for him, that pass on the Tuna goal was really nice.

Edited by CommonDreads
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

That is incredibly visually jarring to say the least 

It wouldn't be as bad if they forced the broadcasters of the games to keep the ads static until there was a stoppage in play.  For an ad to change as players are skating up ice is going to be incredibly annoying.

The number 1 ad purchasers along the digitals board will be sports betting companies.  They will have live odds and different prop bets constantly updating on that thing, kind of like they currently do with the boards around the fields in European soccer.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Also the league can fvck off with this sh!t, never ends with them and this bullsh!t... 

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-debuts-digitally-enhanced-dasherboards/c-335945996

They already do this on the glass, and above the blue lines.  Some ads on the boards have even been digital for isles,  just appearing green or blue in person. 

I assume this helps make up for the lost money during the covid year 

32 minutes ago, bobilly45 said:

They already do this on the glass, and above the blue lines.  Some ads on the boards have even been digital for isles,  just appearing green or blue in person. 

I assume this helps make up for the lost money during the covid year 

Oh no, won't someone think of all these poor billionaires and millionaires. 

If they came out and said it's only for this year to make up for covid that would be one thing, that's originally what the helmet ads were about but it's not. Jersey ads, now this, it's only going to get worse. 

Hockey is the greatest game in the world and the nhl is easily the worst run of all the major sports. 

Everyone in charge is a lying snake oil salesman

https://www.vice.com/en/article/wnv8m5/bettman-and-nhl-holding-off-on-jersey-ads-for-now

"It's not an active discussion among NHL clubs," Bettman said during All-Star weekend. "I always said we wouldn't be first. OK, great. The NBA is doing it. But it would take an unusual circumstance—which I would define as 'a lot of money that I'm having trouble comprehending right now'—for us to even be thinking about it."

"The fact of the matter is we take great pride in our sweaters. We think they're the best in all of sports, and (adding jersey ads) is not something we're running off to do. We think what we have is special. We talk about history and tradition and how special hockey jerseys are," he said.

"You'll say, 'Well, you did it in the World Cup.' The fact of the matter is the World Cup jerseys aren't like NHL team jerseys."

5 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

If they came out and said it's only for this year to make up for covid that would be one thing, that's originally what the helmet ads were about but it's not. Jersey ads, now this, it's only going to get worse. 

Hockey is the greatest game in the world and the nhl is easily the worst run of all the major sports. 

https://www.vice.com/en/article/wnv8m5/bettman-and-nhl-holding-off-on-jersey-ads-for-now

"It's not an active discussion among NHL clubs," Bettman said during All-Star weekend. "I always said we wouldn't be first. OK, great. The NBA is doing it. But it would take an unusual circumstance—which I would define as 'a lot of money that I'm having trouble comprehending right now'—for us to even be thinking about it."

"The fact of the matter is we take great pride in our sweaters. We think they're the best in all of sports, and (adding jersey ads) is not something we're running off to do. We think what we have is special. We talk about history and tradition and how special hockey jerseys are," he said.

"You'll say, 'Well, you did it in the World Cup.' The fact of the matter is the World Cup jerseys aren't like NHL team jerseys."

Teams choosing to implement ads is not the same as the league demanding it though. The NHL hasn't implemented that and the league is not necessary to blame there (maybe they are encouraging this behind the scenes, but that requires an overabundance of evidence). That is where the fans actually have a level of opinion that they can voice. It starts with STH and then trickles down. Fans have to be vocal, politely preferrably and teams could still just do it too, but MOST teams don't want to piss off their core fanbase intentionally.

17 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Money talks, bullsh!t takes the bus.

16 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

I am all for it since it makes the boards blank, but on tv it can be distracting. needs to be static images, not fancy gifs. 

That's not what's happening though, the ads on the boards in the arena will still be there... 

"When the game is seen through the main center ice camera, fans will see the DED system digital dasher ads. When there are close-ups and reverse angles on broadcasts, the in-arena boards will be visible, so those in-arena advertisers will get some exposure "

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

I am all for it since it makes the boards blank, but on tv it can be distracting. needs to be static images, not fancy gifs. 

If they can make my Zacha meme appear over and over again around the entire rink every time he misses, I’m in favor of it. 

15 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Look at this absolute fvcking sh!t....

Well I hate it…

• Like 3

Lines for tonight:

Much of this lineup will end up in Utica. It's hard not to read too much into the lineup decisions here. Does this mean Johnsson is safe? Also,  it's not great to see Holtz with this group. But on the other hand, this could be an opportunity for his line to really excel. It could give Fitz a reason to keep the three of them in NJ.

11 minutes ago, bobilly45 said:

I see blackwood still sucks... the puck shot right at him goes in.

He should not be the starter

He’s been solid this preseason…yeah that one was weak, but the Devils aren’t going to give up on him based on one meh preseason goal.

Not like he was ever penciled in to be the guy this year anyway…it’s going to start off as a split.  We’ll see if it stays that way.  

42 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

That seems like a "last chance to prove you belong on the roster" lineup.

Reminds me of the 2015 team…except the Devils were icing that kind of a team every game…

• Like 2
  • Sad 1