2022 Training Camp thread

MadDog2020

This third period has looked and felt like a lot of the more painful games of last season.  

4 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Definitely looks like a game full of roster cuts. I’m looking forward to see who’s in the lineup against Boston. Bahl and Nemec look ok together but I don’t think Nemec starts in jersey. I was hoping for Foote and Holtz to stand out a little more. 

I onlu started watching in the 3rd and I didn’t know Foote and Holtz were playing. 

21 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Definitely looks like a game full of roster cuts. I’m looking forward to see who’s in the lineup against Boston. Bahl and Nemec look ok together but I don’t think Nemec starts in jersey. I was hoping for Foote and Holtz to stand out a little more. 

Well at least Holtz can light it up during scrimmages.  Still not getting warm and fuzzies about him, but it’s not like he absolutely HAS to make the team out of preseason.  

9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Well at least Holtz can light it up during scrimmages.  Still not getting warm and fuzzies about him, but it’s not like he absolutely HAS to make the team out of preseason.  

With Okhotiuyk's game tonight, unless he really stands out next game, he'll get sent down. I think Holtz makes it. Foote will probably get sent down too. 

I'm thinking it's Bahl and Holtz who sneak onto the roster. 

Boquist didn't look amazing tonight either, but I don't think he's gotten that many reps in tbh. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RizzMB30 said:

With Okhotiuyk's game tonight, unless he really stands out next game, he'll get sent down. I think Holtz makes it. Foote will probably get sent down too. 

I'm thinking it's Bahl and Holtz who sneak onto the roster. 

Boquist didn't look amazing tonight either, but I don't think he's gotten that many reps in tbh. 

I think all the guys with options will be sent down.  They're not going to risk losing Boqui or Zett.  Opening Day lineup prediction:

Palat   Jack   Tatar/Bratt

Shango  Nico  Bratt/Tatar

Zett/Wood  Haula  Mercer

Wood/Zett  McLeod  Bastion

Johnsson  Boqui

Siegs   Dougie

Graves  Seves

Bahl    Marino

Smith

Blackwood/Vitek      there's your 23

• Like 2

Really interested to see what they decide to do with Holtz. He had some good games during this camp, but really didn't show up on the score sheet much after the rookie scrimmages. He had his moments tonight, but it wasn't his best game. The next (final) preseason game will probably be close to the final roster, so we will see if they play him for that one.

That Severson play on Graves's goal was just awesome. I really hope there's a way we can keep him, but an 8 year contract for him isn't ideal.

I'm so pumped to see what Nemec does in Utica this year. He's got such a strong foundation. Once he starts utilizing his strengths more as he gets accustomed to the pace, we will see him blossom into a really good player.

I hyped up Okhotiuk all year, but tonight showed that he simply is not ready. I think Okhotiuk will get another chance, but it'll unfortunately be in the Luke and Nemec (and possibly Shakir) era. This was really a big camp for him to establish his spot before those other guys enter the equation. Bahl, on the other hand, surprised me with his play. I think he has a good shot at that 6th spot on defense, with Smith as the 7th.

Boqvist was kind of disappointing. We obviously don't want to lose him on waivers, but I'm not sure he knocks anyone out of the starting lineup at this point.

Clarke got a goal tonight. I think he has been solid throughout camp. Too bad for him that we seem to be pretty loaded with bottom 6 players, because he otherwise could have a decent chance of making it.

If Holtz gets sent to Utica (which I hope he doesn't), I think we're looking at something like:

Palat-Hughes-Sharangovich

Bratt-Mercer-Tatar

Wood-Haula-Zetterlund

Johnsson/Boqvist-McLeod-Bastian

ex: Boqvist/Johnsson

Boqvist will have until Nico returns to show he belongs.

5 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

It's been a long time since I've watched a game with the Islanders announcers, god Butch Goring is insufferable

Oh man I was thinking the same exact thing…especially with how much he was blowing up Barzal.  He’s a 100-point guy?!  Big-time UFA wingers will want to sign with the Isles because friggin’ Barzal’s there?!  He’s a nice player who’s now overpaid, but Butch was making it sound like the guy’s the second coming of Connor friggin’ McDavid.  It was painful to listen to.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Oh man I was thinking the same exact thing…especially with how much he was blowing up Barzal.  He’s a 100-point guy?!  Big-time UFA wingers will want to sign with the Isles because friggin’ Barzal’s there?!  He’s a nice player who’s now overpaid, but Butch was making it sound like the guy’s the second coming of Connor friggin’ McDavid.  It was painful to listen to.

It was Micheletti level overhype. Reminded me of hearing about how Matt Gilroy was going to be a Norris Trophy candidate for years to come. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Have Another Donut said:

I think all the guys with options will be sent down.  They're not going to risk losing Boqui or Zett.  Opening Day lineup prediction:

Palat   Jack   Tatar/Bratt

Shango  Nico  Bratt/Tatar

Zett/Wood  Haula  Mercer

Wood/Zett  McLeod  Bastion

Johnsson  Boqui

Siegs   Dougie

Graves  Seves

Bahl    Marino

Smith

Blackwood/Vitek      there's your 23

Probably is what it should be, but I don't believe you'll be seeing Nico. Geertsen probably gets the extra roster spot, why, nobody knows. 

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Probably is what it should be, but I don't believe you'll be seeing Nico. Geertsen probably gets the extra roster spot, why, nobody knows. 

If that happens...seriously, what in actual fvck?!  If Devils are supposed to be moving forward, there's no reason to hang onto what amounts to a friggin' mascot (which is kind of an insult to actual mascots, to mention Geertsen in the same breath with them).

The funny thing is Geertsen's not even one of those little-to-no-skill guys who can at least intimidate people with pure savage brawn...he's the kind of guy other players laugh at.  He's KID fvckING RAY...he's a friggin' MEME. 

So again Tommy, what are you seeing here?  If not for you, his potential NHL career quite possibly ends after the Rangers waive him.  He showed exactly why, over the 25 games he somehow played in last season.  Can you just move on from him already?  There's really NO ONE better to take his spot?!

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If that happens...seriously, what in actual fvck?!  If Devils are supposed to be moving forward, there's no reason to hang onto what amounts to a friggin' mascot (which is kind of an insult to actual mascots, to mention Geertsen in the same breath with them).

The funny thing is Geertsen's not even one of those little-to-no-skill guys who can at least intimidate people with pure savage brawn...he's the kind of guy other players laugh at.  He's KID fvckING RAY...he's a friggin' MEME. 

So again Tommy, what are you seeing here?  If not for you, his potential NHL career quite possibly ends after the Rangers waive him.  He showed exactly why, over the 25 games he somehow played in last season.  Can you just move on from him already?  There's really NO ONE better to take his spot?!

Its been what the actual fvck with that guy since they first signed him. They even converted his position to make sure he plays lol. It was further what the actual fvck when they re-signed him. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Its been what the actual fvck with that guy since they first signed him. They even converted his position to make sure he plays lol. It was further what the actual fvck when they re-signed him. 

Oh I agree, I just keep waiting for the Devils to realize that they have absolutely nothing with this guy.  If this was 2015, I'd kinda-sorta get it...I still wouldn't like it of course.

• Like 1

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Oh I agree, I just keep waiting for the Devils to realize that they have absolutely nothing with this guy.  If this was 2015, I'd kinda-sorta get it...I still wouldn't like it of course.

25 games played, 0.0 points. Impressive streak. 

5 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Trevor Zegras on Spittin Chiclets gassing up Jack. “His skill level, his skating, he’s so smart, he’s so determined. I think he’ll score 100 this year.”

If he can stay healthy he certainly has the ability. 

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:

I really wish we could unload Johnsson. 

- Me, every day since 6th grade lol

• Haha 4

good thing tatar showed some signs of past play otherwise this lineup is one injury away from nhl bottom half

haula and wood must have strong years, we need that scoring from the bottom 6

bahl's size and reach mkeup for  what he lacks in stickwork and polish. 

consistency blackwood, consistency please

nessus is right that was a nasty move by severson  top line forward stuff

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, that was iffy. I still like Butch. He’s personable yet will point out mistakes players make. “That’s one he should have stopped,” etc.

He was loving Barzal though, a little too much. He also said something about the islanders winning the Stanley Cup with Barzal. Let’s see if they make the playoffs. 

56 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Yeah, that was iffy. I still like Butch. He’s personable yet will point out mistakes players make. “That’s one he should have stopped,” etc.

He was loving Barzal though, a little too much. He also said something about the islanders winning the Stanley Cup with Barzal. Let’s see if they make the playoffs. 

Not going to pretend I tune into Islander games much at all...pretty much never in fact, heh heh.  But last night the Barzal love was just beyond "regular homer" silliness.  It would be like our crew predicting 100 points for Nico one day; I like Nico a lot (especially when he's healthy enough to play), but as a fan, I would instantly think "C'mon guys, WTF are you talking about?  Based on WHAT?"