2022 Training Camp thread

MadDog2020

Nice rip by Sharangovich off a bad break (quite literally) for the Bruins.

• Like 2

If Holtz is indeed staying with the big club…at least it’s off a confidence-building kind of game.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Jack Edwards just called Graves Griives

Also had Holtz sliding 30 ft after he was hit, when it was maybe 5 or 6.  🙄

Just now, Nicomo said:

It’s pretty likely he’s already behind the bench. 

Yeah feels like that’s only a matter of time.

Sometimes it’s hard to tell if Recchi and nASS aren’t still lurking around somewhere…

4 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Bit sloppy at the end but they didn't crumble and got the empty net, that alone is some nice progress. 

This is a game they would have lost with last year’s goaltending.  This tandem has me crossing my fingers.  

• Like 3

missed the game but just watched the recap.

Many of our goals were goals we usually get scored on...

leaving jack hughes our best player wide open in front of the net. (be fair we also made that happen too)

dman breaking his stick and the puck going straight to the other team's sniper.

a dman mishandling the puck while being the last man behind with an empty net

etc etc

Glad to see these go our way.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Bit sloppy at the end but they didn't crumble and got the empty net, that alone is some nice progress. 

Yeah there’s still plenty that needs to be addressed (score wasn’t fully indicative of how the Devils played…Bruins pinned them in their own end for extended stretches a little too often and too easily), but at least the puckstopping looks like it should be considerably better than last season (barring injuries of course), so that’s huge.

Guessing Holtz starts the season with the big club, and that’s fine…even if I’m not sold on him as a future impact NHLer just yet, I don’t feel like he has much left to prove the AHL.  Playing with Hughes could be a nice boon to what could potentially become a permanent stay.

Also fair to remember that when you have an 18-year-old Nico, 19-year-old Bratt, 18-year-old Jack and 19–year-old Dawson playing right away, it is easier to forget that some kids need more time.  I’m still not that bullish on Holtz, but the kid does have time on his side and won’t be 21 years old until January.  A full year in the NHL in his Age 20/21 season will at least begin to answer some questions.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah there’s still plenty that needs to be addressed (score wasn’t fully indicative of how the Devils played…Bruins pinned them in their own end for extended stretches a little too often and too easily), but at least the puckstopping looks like it should be considerably better than last season (barring injuries of course), so that’s huge.

Guessing Holtz starts the season with the big club, and that’s fine…even if I’m not sold on him as a future impact NHLer just yet, I don’t feel like he has much left to prove the AHL.  Playing with Hughes could be a nice boon to what could potentially become a permanent stay.

Also fair to remember that when you have an 18-year-old Nico, 19-year-old Bratt, 18-year-old Jack and 19–year-old Dawson playing right away, it is easier to forget that some kids need more time.  I’m still not that bullish on Holtz, but the kid does have time on his side and won’t be 21 years old until January.  A full year in the NHL in his Age 20/21 season will at least begin to answer some questions.  

Another thing I like about Holtz is that he isn’t just a shot. He’s made some pretty good passes too. It’ll be interesting to see how his game develops over the next few years. He may need Jack as a crutch for now but it might not always be that way. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Another thing I like about Holtz is that he isn’t just a shot. He’s made some pretty good passes too. It’ll be interesting to see how his game develops over the next few years. He may need Jack as a crutch for now but it might not always be that way. 

If he’s able to convert the chances Jack sets up for him, good enough for me.  Last night’s goal involved a lot of luck, in that the puck bounced around a little prior to Holtz getting it, and the goalie was well out of position when Holtz took the shot.  But if Holtz is able to flat-out beat goalies at a reasonable rate, then he might be able to stick on Jack’s line.  And the pass that led to Jack’s goal was excellent; no luck there.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

24 players at practice, Johnsson still with the team, no Geertsen and Nico sitting out injured. 

Im assuming Holtz made the team since he’s practicing with Jack and Palat again. Zetterlund on the 3rd line also makes me think he’s safe too. Nemec is definitely a cut which makes sense for now. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

His vision and passing is very underrated. He’s sneaky good in both facets. 

Also, as usual, the team has given the fans no update on Nico even though he was reevaluated yesterday.

Edited by devlman
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, devlman said:

His vision and passing is very underrated. He’s sneaky good in both facets. 

Also, as usual, the team has given the fans no update on Nico even though he was reevaluated yesterday.

At this point I’m just waiting for them to tell us the surgery was successful and he’ll be back in December 

• Haha 1

Interesting lines. I really would like to see Sharangovich in a top 6 role. Despite Tatar's strong preseason, I think Shara is more deserving of that spot. Nice to see Zetterlund at RW3.

I'm also surprised to see Smith paired with Severson. I thought Bahl outplayed Smith so far. Smith seems like the perfect 7D for this group, but maybe they want more of a veteran presence there.

With Boqvist on the outside looking in, I'm hoping he gets some opportunities on the 4th line early on at least. He didn't have the best preseason, so I can't say I'm surprised with where he is right now. But I'm not sure McLeod is a better option.

But overall, I would imagine most of us are pretty satisfied with how the lineup is shaping up. Once Nico is healthy, having a 3rd line of Tatar-Haula-Mercer probably beats some of the first lines we have had in (somewhat) recent years.

• Like 4