2022 Training Camp thread

MadDog2020

On Lindy Ruff:

“Our dad taught us to be stand up people. Lindy Ruff’s treated me with the utmost respect so I’m not just going to not tell my feelings. I believe that Lindy Ruff’s a great coach. We failed him last year, for sure. I think it’s only fair he gets another crack at it. Those are my beliefs. I don’t know anything about the team listening to me or what –– but I’m sure it had a little bit of help to do with it –– but I truly believe in Lindy and I think he’s a really good coach still.”
“He’s the guy that gave me a chance. I had a terrible rookie year and he gave me a call that summer. He watched my game and he believed in me. Even my second year, he gave me every chance. We have a really good relationship. Last year I was able to have a really good year, but that’s the guy that had my back since he walked into New Jersey.”
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, devlman said:

This. Any athlete thinks they should always be at all star levels. See Brodeur at age 40.

It varies.  There's aging players who recognize that their skills are declining, and are able to accept different roles that often come with less playing time and glamour numbers.

But yeah, there's definitely guys who won't or can't realize that their prime years are gone and never coming back.  Marty was one of them.  It was painful at the end, both in that he was getting the white knight treatment that he was no longer worthy of, and that he would make it sound like whatever problems he was having were due to anyone but him.  But as we know, the end is often less than pretty.

On 9/19/2022 at 10:22 PM, MadDog2020 said:
On Lindy Ruff:
“Our dad taught us to be stand up people. Lindy Ruff’s treated me with the utmost respect so I’m not just going to not tell my feelings. I believe that Lindy Ruff’s a great coach. We failed him last year, for sure. I think it’s only fair he gets another crack at it. Those are my beliefs. I don’t know anything about the team listening to me or what –– but I’m sure it had a little bit of help to do with it –– but I truly believe in Lindy and I think he’s a really good coach still.”
“He’s the guy that gave me a chance. I had a terrible rookie year and he gave me a call that summer. He watched my game and he believed in me. Even my second year, he gave me every chance. We have a really good relationship. Last year I was able to have a really good year, but that’s the guy that had my back since he walked into New Jersey.”

I've always believed that some kids simply need to see how good the NHL really is, before they can understand how to flourish in it.  Jack probably had it easy from the time he could skate circles around most of his competition...his rookie year was likely his first "Oh man a lot of other guys are really damned good too!" moment.  To his credit, he's worked very hard to become better-equipped to handle the NHL...just hope we're saying "Wow, 100 points for Jack!" and not "If only he played more than 50 games, he would've had 100 points!"

31 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

So MSG is not carrying the monday game with the habs

Yeah seems like maybe half of their preseason games are carried most seasons, if that many.  argh.

• Like 1