2022 Training Camp thread

MadDog2020

Happy for Nemec if he really will be starting out the season in NJ, but it doesn't totally make sense.

Bahl was always on the third pair, while Nemec was on the fourth/extra pair in practice. I'm also not sure why they would have him get his 9 games now rather than later in the season after some AHL experience.  So now they decide whether to play Nemec on his off side on the bottom pair vs. veteran Smith in the same spot? It would be a waste to have Nemec in the press box when he could be developing in the AHL. Only explanation I have is saving a couple hundred thousand dollars in cap space given the difference in salary between Nemec and Bahl while they are placing Bernier on LTIR. Maybe Bahl still starts the season in NJ.

Hopefully Johnsson is only there until Nico is back.

Edited by nessus

8 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Shocking to see Nemec make the team out of camp. Thought he was handedly  outplayed by Bahl. Wonder if Nemec gets his requisite 9 games and we see bahl the rest of the year? 

I thought the 9 games was only so players who could go back to juniors or Europe could get a few games without their rookie contract kicking in. My understanding was Nemec is either in Jersey or Utica this year, so won’t the contract kick in regardless? 

7 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I thought the 9 games was only so players who could go back to juniors or Europe could get a few games without their rookie contract kicking in. My understanding was Nemec is either in Jersey or Utica this year, so won’t the contract kick in regardless? 

No, he can be sent to the AHL without the contract kicking in. 

4 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

Johnsson is still on the roster despite being placed on waivers?

Ugh, I didn’t even notice that. 

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

honest question. IF Nico gets hurt again this year. Do you start considering trading him while his value is still up? Cause honestly you can love him as much as you want, it's simply not looking like he'll be a reliable player for us based on his first few years

What value is he going to have if he gets injured again?

• Like 1

I really don't think Nico misses any more time than the average NHL player due to injury, I'm going to personally elect that getting beamed in the face by a teammate's slapper doesn't qualify you as injury-prone, sometimes freak accidents just happen and the new narrative that Nico is made of glass is insane to me

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

honest question. IF Nico gets hurt again this year. Do you start considering trading him while his value is still up? Cause honestly you can love him as much as you want, it's simply not looking like he'll be a reliable player for us based on his first few years

I’d hate to trade him. I really like him as a player when healthy. And the optics of trading a captain are never good, but it’s very frustrating that this seems to happen every year with him. I’m really hoping this strain is the end of it but we hoped that last year too. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

I really don't think Nico misses any more time than the average NHL player due to injury, I'm going to personally elect that getting beamed in the face by a teammate's slapper doesn't qualify you as injury-prone, sometimes freak accidents just happen and the new narrative that Nico is made of glass is insane to me

Its true. In 5 seasons he has played 82, 69, 58*, 21** and 70 games. 

* Shortened season of 69 games

**Shortened season of 56 games

It could be argued he has only missed significant time in that one season. 

3 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I’d hate to trade him. I really like him as a player when healthy. And the optics of trading a captain are never good, but it’s very frustrating that this seems to happen every year with him. I’m really hoping this strain is the end of it but we hoped that last year too. 

If he gets traded, it won't be because of his injury history, it'll be because there is a chance to make a significant upgrade to benefit Jack. 

And let's be honest, is there anyone who doesn't think Jack is the next captain of this team? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Blame Amanda for the verbiage 😔

Sounds like 30 minutes was always the plan though, hopefully he feels good tomorrow and Thursday and can go against the Flyers, Saturday against the Wings is the game I really want him back for though

Edited by CommonDreads

7 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Blame Amanda for the verbiage 😔

Sounds like 30 minutes was always the plan though, hopefully he feels good tomorrow and Thursday and can go against the Flyers, Saturday against the Wings is the game I really want him back for though

Correct, he didn’t leave because of the injury, it was planned. I should have specified that.