2022 Training Camp thread

MadDog2020

17 hours ago, MB3 said:

mid-season form already from SD with the nonsensical gibberish. 

there's nothing nonsensical in what i said. It straight up happened. Anyone who paid attention to this board has seen it.

Countless members here were ripping into Fitz, constantly referring to his "we want to be playing meaningful games in march" quote while we were not playing meaninfgul games in march. Completely ignoring context that just about everything that could have went wrong with the team during the season, did go wrong (I'm referring to injuries). Literally no teams in the league would have done well if 2-3 of their top goalies went out and their top players for an extended period. Especially not a team near the end of a rebuild. That's straight up common sense.

The bus comment is obviously an exageration that even if THAT happened some fans would still blame Fitz for not making the playoffs. It's pretty easy to understand the angle there.

And like Mfitz mentioned. They are still bringing up the "in the room" quote too.

So yeah. I didn't make anything up. I just reported what already happened and might happen again. 

6 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Or its just overly hyperbolized, but I think that was the point. It's weird to pretend you don't recognize that just because you don't like the guy who said it. 

As far as degrees of insanity go, I mean, neither you nor I should be talking about that with some of the sh!t we've said. 

100% if anyone else said it he wouldnt be picking on it. We all know this

Edited by SterioDesign

On 9/22/2022 at 11:29 PM, SterioDesign said:

Well now that Tom said that, some fans will take it as an unshakable promise completely ignoring any possible context and players health through the season lol IF everything goes well we should push for a playoffs spot and have a shot. But if we get injuries like we did last year, it's still not going to happen.

Our entire top 9  and top 4 d could die in a bus crash and we'd have to play junior players the entire season and some fans would still be like "Fitz PROMISED we'd make the playoffs this season but then sat on his hand all year and the season was over by december 🤬 and now we're getting another lottery pick!"

Jack and Nico health, Vanecek and Blackwood form. If both things will not go well, any every expectations worth holding on. And work on drafting top six center on the draft and sign another one on the market. 

2 hours ago, Guadana said:

Jack and Nico health, Vanecek and Blackwood form. If both things will not go well, any every expectations worth holding on. And work on drafting top six center on the draft and sign another one on the market. 

the three big factors

1, goaltending

2, goaltending

3, goaltending

4. jack staying upright

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Guadana said:

yup and that's the thing. We should know more than anyone now how injuries can impact a season big time.

Last season a realistic expectation was that IF and only IF everything went perfectly and other things went our way like other teams sh!tting the bed (which the islanders did), etc then mayyyybe we could have challenged for a wild card spot.

But as we know, just about everything that could have went wrong did, so we really didn't have a chance. And we were not "getting a real backup in February" away from making the playoffs or anything either.

• Like 1

Didn't catch the whole scrimmage, but that Palat-Hughes-Holtz line could be something special. Holtz had 2 goals, the second of which was him just finding a way to get open as Hughes was attracting all the attention of the defense.

Nemec looked good. He had that nice assist posted earlier, and also set up a goal scored by (I think) Haula off a rebound from his point shot. Nemec isn't exactly flashy in the conventional way, by holding onto the puck for a while or skating circles around players, but he does make some nifty moves pretty often. It just comes off so controlled and composed.

Dougie and Marino both played well. Marino was really shutting guys down, which was good to see. Siegenthaler of course stood out as the best shutdown guy IMO.

Wood was really moving out there too. I am surprised he looked ready to play.

Brennan will be our top goalie prospect soon IMO.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, nessus said:

Didn't catch the whole scrimmage, but that Palat-Hughes-Holtz line could be something special. Holtz had 2 goals, the second of which was him just finding a way to get open as Hughes was attracting all the attention of the defense.

Nemec looked good. He had that nice assist posted earlier, and also set up a goal scored by (I think) Haula off a rebound from his point shot. Nemec isn't exactly flashy in the conventional way, by holding onto the puck for a while or skating circles around players, but he does make some nifty moves pretty often. It just comes off so controlled and composed.

Dougie and Marino both played well. Marino was really shutting guys down, which was good to see. Siegenthaler of course stood out as the best shutdown guy IMO.

I agree that Palat-Hughes-Holtz line has all the pieces to be a true top line. I think Haula will be a pretty reliable supplemental scorer this year as well. 

And I like Brennan a lot. He’s got the tools. Hopefully he can put it all together 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

yup and that's the thing. We should know more than anyone now how injuries can impact a season big time.

Last season a realistic expectation was that IF and only IF everything went perfectly and other things went our way like other teams sh!tting the bed (which the islanders did), etc then mayyyybe we could have challenged for a wild card spot.

But as we know, just about everything that could have went wrong did, so we really didn't have a chance. And we were not "getting a real backup in February" away from making the playoffs or anything either.

Islanders were a very strong team with covid problem, nothing flashy offensively, but defence and goaltending were very strong(Dalla were sh1tty team when were hitted by covid, previous year - SCF, year after - play off team, lost in first round in seven games). I don`t sure Islanders will play in play off next year, but it`s about East and how this conference is strong. 

Vegas Golden Nights missed play off because of injuries. I can`t understand how devils fans could wait meaningful games with the youngest roster.

I believe even this season with healty roster and average goaltending Devils could easily miss play off. And may be even should. Because core players are still very young and inexperienced. They will be better, they could finally crack the top-8, but I just can`t say "they finally ready". They will be ready when goalies will not sh`t the bed and Nico, Jack, Bratt, Dawson and full D core will make the next step. When they make it, then they will make it. Simple and clear. The example of Colorado in full. This club has everything to fight for serious places and aim weapons at serious targets. All these young players in total should become critically good. No partners and no coaches would have made Jack ready for big challenges at the age of 18. He's ready now. It's the same with the rest of the players. 

And I realy hope, this year is the year, I just can`t wait for it. I believe they should be better overall, but will lose some points here and there. On the east every team should fight for every points and fight from beggining to the end in every game. And I can`t imagine how this young leaders could walk through 82 games path without critical mistakes.

And of course I have enough of critique about the game of the team overall. Team is very good on the rushes, but good teams prevent them. Team is very bad on the draw and without it I can`t see, how they will crack top-8.

Edited by Guadana

4 hours ago, nessus said:

Don`t know how it will work in NHL. Holtz is good in hiding through defense, but he isn`t good in puck protection and control. If it will work, Devils will be in a great position. 

1 hour ago, Guadana said:

Islanders were a very strong team with covid problem, nothing flashy offensively, but defence and goaltending were very strong(Dalla were sh1tty team when were hitted by covid, previous year - SCF, year after - play off team, lost in first round in seven games). I don`t sure Islanders will play in play off next year, but it`s about East and how this conference is strong. 

Vegas Golden Nights missed play off because of injuries. I can`t understand how devils fans could wait meaningful games with the youngest roster.

I believe even this season with healty roster and average goaltending Devils could easily miss play off. And may be even should. Because core players are still very young and inexperienced. They will be better, they could finally crack the top-8, but I just can`t say "they finally ready". They will be ready when goalies will not sh`t the bed and Nico, Jack, Bratt, Dawson and full D core will make the next step. When they make it, then they will make it. Simple and clear. The example of Colorado in full. This club has everything to fight for serious places and aim weapons at serious targets. All these young players in total should become critically good. No partners and no coaches would have made Jack ready for big challenges at the age of 18. He's ready now. It's the same with the rest of the players. 

And I realy hope, this year is the year, I just can`t wait for it. I believe they should be better overall, but will lose some points here and there. On the east every team should fight for every points and fight from beggining to the end in every game. And I can`t imagine how this young leaders could walk through 82 games path without critical mistakes.

And of course I have enough of critique about the game of the team overall. Team is very good on the rushes, but good teams prevent them. Team is very bad on the draw and without it I can`t see, how they will crack top-8.

yeah i agree fully. Even if we don't make the playoffs this year i'm fine with it. Not happy with it but as long as we're progressing i'm okay with it. Even if it didn't show in the standings, we're in a wayyyyyyyy better position going forward than we were years ago. It's night and day. The goal is to build a team that can win a cup. Not a team that can lose in the first round every year.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah i agree fully. Even if we don't make the playoffs this year i'm fine with it. Not happy with it but as long as we're progressing i'm okay with it. Even if it didn't show in the standings, we're in a wayyyyyyyy better position going forward than we were years ago. It's night and day. The goal is to build a team that can win a cup. Not a team that can lose in the first round every year.

loved your work with nofx and lag(not jealous at all) but disagree. this team needs to be in the playoffs. the kids are at the age where if they continue to say "we'll get better next year" they'll keep doin it ad nauseam (wow biggest word i used since i joined!!!) time for our little superstars to put on their big boy pants and win. 

5 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

loved your work with nofx and lag(not jealous at all) but disagree. this team needs to be in the playoffs. the kids are at the age where if they continue to say "we'll get better next year" they'll keep doin it ad nauseam (wow biggest word i used since i joined!!!) time for our little superstars to put on their big boy pants and win. 

Thing is, they could have a GREAT year, and still not make it through no fault of their own. The Metro and the East are that strong. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

it's okay to disagree. Obviously it would be ideal if they did, but i don't personally see it as an absolute must. Again, the goal is to win a cup, our window is slowly opening. While other teams are dropping. Like MadDog2020 just mentioned, it's a very strong division and our time will come. Just gotta be patient, im confident the time will come. In a few years us, Detroit and the sens will be at the top while the pens, capitals, flyers and Islanders will inevitably be at the bottom. Rangers, Blue Jackets, Toronto, etc etc should be a middle of the pack by then too.

• Like 1