2022 Training Camp thread

MadDog2020

32 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

loved your work with nofx and lag(not jealous at all) but disagree. this team needs to be in the playoffs. the kids are at the age where if they continue to say "we'll get better next year" they'll keep doin it ad nauseam (wow biggest word i used since i joined!!!) time for our little superstars to put on their big boy pants and win. 

Lets go to the offices of all metro and atlantic teams and ask them to give to the Devils wild card spot. It is necessary to ask very well, with the eyes are like the cat from Shrek.

9 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

I'm sorry guys. I just think it's time for them to make playoffs. i can't be the only one who thinks this. right?

I’d absolutely love that but it’s still a young team in a tough division with a lot of questions marks. They very well could but I’m not expecting it. I just want to see improvement and a little fire. Too many times last year we had disinterested players and that’s a terrible thing to see. One of the goalies taking the spot, a healthy Jack, some improvement from the younger players, that’s all the stuff I’m looking for. If things go well I could definitely see them sneaking in a wild card spot. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

I'm sorry guys. I just think it's time for them to make playoffs. i can't be the only one who thinks this. right?

Again, ideally they would make the playoffs of course. But context matters and typically, when i see people saying that the devils HAVE to make the playoffs, it tends to come from a... how to put it... personal stance / what they WANT and not always looking at the big picture necessarily and what's actually possible. There's 16 teams fighting for 8 spots. It's a very very strong division and even the sh!tty teams are slowly rising too while the top teams are slowly dropping.

Canes, Rangers, Panthers, Leafs, Bolts i feel are locks to make the playoffs.

Pens, Caps, Boston are previous playoffs teams that i could potentially see dropping out. 

Islanders is a team that was close but they are 100% trending down, they may make it this year but they won't be a problem for too much longer. Blue Jackets are trending up but still see them as a bubble team.

Then us... ottawa, Buffalo and detroit are teams that should take a big step this year. 

Montreal and Philly will suck hard i suspect.

So there's not a whole lot of room.

Like for many the MUST part comes from the "it's been X amount of years without the playoffs, we've waited long enough! now is the time!" and "the kids need to learn to win or not get used to lose" Which is fair to feel that way to some extent but doesn't mean that reality will take that into account haha The MUST will be when we have a solid playoffs caliber team with guys in their prime and right in their window. We don't have that right now.

Just my opinion obviously but i feel if this team is healthy all year and that things go well, they should be in a position to challenge for a spot. But i wouldn't say that on paper we're a lock to make the playoffs or anything. We have to see how things go in net. And 2 of our top dman that will lead the future won't even be on the team this year. (or if they somehow make it, won't have an impact right away.

Personal guess before the season.

1. Leafs
  2. Panthers
  3. Lightning
  4. Hurricanes
  5. Rangers
  6. Pens
  7. Bruins
  8. Capitals
  9. Senators
  10. Islanders
  11. Devils
  12. Blue Jackets
  13. Red Wings
  14. Sabres
  15. Flyers
  16. Canadiens

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Again, ideally they would make the playoffs of course. But context matters and typically, when i see people saying that the devils HAVE to make the playoffs, it tends to come from a... how to put it... personal stance / what they WANT and not always looking at the big picture necessarily and what's actually possible. There's 16 teams fighting for 8 spots. It's a very very strong division and even the sh!tty teams are slowly rising too while the top teams are slowly dropping.

Canes, Rangers, Panthers, Leafs, Bolts i feel are locks to make the playoffs.

Pens, Caps, Boston are previous playoffs teams that i could potentially see dropping out. 

Islanders is a team that was close but they are 100% trending down, they may make it this year but they won't be a problem for too much longer. Blue Jackets are trending up but still see them as a bubble team.

Then us... ottawa, Buffalo and detroit are teams that should take a big step this year. 

Montreal and Philly will suck hard i suspect.

So there's not a whole lot of room.

Like for many the MUST part comes from the "it's been X amount of years without the playoffs, we've waited long enough! now is the time!" and "the kids need to learn to win or not get used to lose" Which is fair to feel that way to some extent but doesn't mean that reality will take that into account haha The MUST will be when we have a solid playoffs caliber team with guys in their prime and right in their window. We don't have that right now.

Just my opinion obviously but i feel if this team is healthy all year and that things go well, they should be in a position to challenge for a spot. But i wouldn't say that on paper we're a lock to make the playoffs or anything. We have to see how things go in net. And 2 of our top dman that will lead the future won't even be on the team this year. (or if they somehow make it, won't have an impact right away.

Personal guess before the season.

1. Leafs
  2. Panthers
  3. Lightning
  4. Hurricanes
  5. Rangers
  6. Pens
  7. Bruins
  8. Capitals
  9. Senators
  10. Islanders
  11. Devils
  12. Blue Jackets
  13. Red Wings
  14. Sabres
  15. Flyers
  16. Canadiens

I agree this should be a huge year. like i said before. time for our little superstars to put on their big boy pants and make a playoff rush. i'd settle with a wildcard. 

look at this video of our baby superstar. let alone the other kids. they gonna push and i'm with em

Edited by pumpkin cutter
  • Like 1

I'd love the Devils to get a playoff spot, but I think it's probably not going to happen this year. If they're at least in the conversation for most of the season, I'll be happy. For me, seeing a D not coached by nASS and a power play not coached by Recchi is massive, and I really want to see coaching have a positive impact on the team this season. Seeing the young 'uns taking a step forward and, hopefully, two or three of the AHL'ers establishing themselves in the team as the season progresses I'll take as a good thing.

Looking forward to next season, I think most of us are expecting Hughes the younger and Nemec to be in the team and, as a consequence, Graves and Severson not being; How far should we expect the team to go with two rookie D men?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

I'd love the Devils to get a playoff spot, but I think it's probably not going to happen this year. If they're at least in the conversation for most of the season, I'll be happy. For me, seeing a D not coached by nASS and a power play not coached by Recchi is massive, and I really want to see coaching have a positive impact on the team this season. Seeing the young 'uns taking a step forward and, hopefully, two or three of the AHL'ers establishing themselves in the team as the season progresses I'll take as a good thing.

Looking forward to next season, I think most of us are expecting Hughes the younger and Nemec to be in the team and, as a consequence, Graves and Severson not being; How far should we expect the team to go with two rookie D men?

I think the team makes the playoffs at least once in the next two seasons…but it’s three seasons from now where the “OK here’s our window to really win something” begins.

On one hand, I’ll look at how the team was built and think “OK, so basically you sucked and punted your way into accumulating a lot of high picks.”  But on the other, not like a LOT of other franchises haven’t built successful long-term teams in exactly that same fashion.  You just hope those truly elite difference-makers are available to you when it’s your turn to pick…and when those difficult and painful “can’t pay everyone” decisions have to be made, that your GM is able to get solid returns for those assets.

But yeah, glad Recchi and nASS are gone; they needed to be.  The guess here is that Blackwood is going to play himself out of the Devils’ plans…he seems like a guy who’s more high-maintenance and trouble than he’s worth, given his lack of consistency and ability to stay healthy.  Even if he has a good year, not sure so I’d commit to him long-term.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Hopefully they are only on the practice jerseys since none of the media day stuff game jerseys had it, can see them here...

The practice jerseys have had that RWJ Barnabas ad on them for several years now. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, pumpkin cutter said:

I agree this should be a huge year. like i said before. time for our little superstars to put on their big boy pants and make a playoff rush. i'd settle with a wildcard. 

look at this video of our baby superstar. let alone the other kids. they gonna push and i'm with em

I'd stay first step would be.... "time for our little superstars to stay healthy and play an entire season" haha

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I saw someone call them H2O for Holtz Hughes Ondrej and if they go with that I’m using all the Waterboy gifs this season. I really can’t wait for this season to start up 

Ooooh that’s good lol

1 hour ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I saw Rango is gonna be a dad

Nice! 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I really hate line nicknames. 

35451A9C-1350-4618-8BD6-2B35C2CE2F82.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Yeah, good call.  Crash Line and A-Line were good. When they called Thomas-Sykora-Guerin the Hells Angels that felt very forced 

I didn’t mind ZZPop either.  H2O isn’t too too bad.  But yeah like others have mentioned, sometimes it’s just not there…don’t try to make it happen.

18 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Don’t you jerks go and start getting me excited for this season… 

Im loving how this line has been so far. 

Will be interesting to see if Holtz can play well enough to make the team right out of preseason, and then play well enough to stick all season.  It'd be great not only for Holtz, but that means one more step towards the Deadwood Twins (Tatar and Johnsson) becoming a thing of the past...re:  those two, at least they'll be gone once the season ends.