PK Subban announced his retirement

andy

Yeah get the feeling he'll move on to a solid broadcasting career...as long as he doesn't slew-foot anyone on the way to the booth.

Not surprised that he decided to retire...not much interest in his services, and he just didn't have much left.  

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not surprised that he decided to retire...not much interest in his services, and he just didn't have much left.  

I feel like that’s probably what happened, he didn't find anyone willing to take him on and that made the decision for him. 

Better to do it now. He had a great career, a well deserved Norris trophy, and he was loved by all his teammates. 😉

• Like 1

Really liked PK. Although he didn’t live up to expectations playing in Nas’ system, I didn’t think he was terrible in his stint here.

Surprised he's retiring now as I think he had another year or two as a third pair shut down defenseman in him. With training camps showing teams what young players of theirs are not quite ready, I would’ve thought a team would be out there to take him on a cheap deal or something. But credit to him for going out his way.

Edited by devlman

My guess is that he's going to be getting paid way more as a broadcaster than as a player.  And at that point, if you aren't going to go to a contender (I could have seen him being a good fit in Tampa on the 3rd pair), then why bother further fvcking up his back for the rest of his life.

Sad to see him go.  He always seemed like a great dude to be around and the boys in the locker room sure seemed to like him a lot.

• Like 2

A great ambassador for the game. His time in NJ didn't meet team or personal expectations but that happens sometimes. I don't think he ever dogged it. I hope he finds a good place to transition from athlete to something else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, devlman said:

Really liked PK. Although he didn’t live up to expectations playing in Nas’ system, I didn’t think he was terrible in his stint here.

Surprised he's retiring now as I think he had another year or two as a third pair shut down defenseman in him. With training camps showing teams what young players of theirs are not quite ready, I would’ve thought a team would be out there to take him on a cheap deal or something. But credit to him for going out his way.

PK was pretty bad on the ice for the balance of his career here (and I hated the slew-footing crap), but to be fair to him, I don't think he ever struggled as a Devil due to dogging it or not trying...I think the Devils simply wound up getting some rough decline years...Nashville knew those seasons were coming and rightly bailed, while his name still had just enough currency to get a team to take on his entire hit...like I always said, it was never about the return going the other way, as much as it was about getting his hit off their books...if anything, Nashville was probably thrilled to get as much as they did.  The Devils had the cap room at the time to take the risk...it didn't work out.  

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

PK probably had the most entertaining personality of any Devil off the ice since Gomez. 

Good luck to him whatever comes next. 

And we probably saw more of it due to the prevalence of social media as compared to when Gomez was a Devil. 

Say what you want about PK, whether it was his workout or an American flag bikini, he liked to share with the fans lol. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

PK was pretty bad on the ice for the balance of his career here (and I hated the slew-footing crap), but to be fair to him, I don't think he ever struggled as a Devil due to dogging it or not trying...I think the Devils simply wound up getting some rough decline years...Nashville knew those seasons were coming and rightly bailed, while his name still had just enough currency to get a team to take on his entire hit...like I always said, it was never about the return going the other way, as much as it was about getting his hit off their books...if anything, Nashville was probably thrilled to get as much as they did.  The Devils had the cap room at the time to take the risk...it didn't work out.  

+1.

Great personality and all that off ice stuff, sure.  On ice he was part of the problem of why this team  has been stuck in the mud. Ultimately it's about on ice performance, I would trade nice guys off the ice for on ice performance 10 outta 10 times and he always came up short since he arrived. 

Now go thrive in a something more fitting, best of luck there.

Edited by titans04

7 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

And we probably saw more of it due to the prevalence of social media as compared to when Gomez was a Devil. 

Say what you want about PK, whether it was his workout or an American flag bikini, he liked to share with the fans lol. 

Yeah, a lot of Gomez’s best stories didn’t come out until years later.