Your New Jersey Devils Regular Season Thread: 2022-2023 Edition

Crisis

And from a pure “Best For The Team” standpoint, it didn’t really feel like it was Nemec’s time just yet either.  Also Bahl’s earned a shot to show what he’s got as an NHLer.  

Would be better to send Nemec in SHL for one full year, but this isn`t the case. Guy is pretty talented, he should figure it out. 

Previous season team, that play in playoff, scored more than missed. +30 is a bottom line. Defensive structure should be better and goalies should be better this season. With league average SV% this team should miss 245-260 goals, if they will continue or be better in defensive zone. Thanks God he heard my prey and Fitz traded Ty Smith away. New coach McGill should help. 
East is more competitive this season, teams like Ottawa and Detroit have better top-6 than some of play off teams. I like their top-6 may be even better than ours. May be on the level. We have good third line pool and defense. 
So if everybody can stay more healthy than not(especially Nico, Jack, Jesper and Dougie), this team should score 270 goals to compete for play off spot, because I can`t imagine they can have low numbers of goals against. I believe Devils have material for scoring this amount of goals, especially if one of Zett or Holtz will score 20 or more. But our core players should play 70-75+ games. Without them or with bad goaltending this team will not compete for play off. Even if Vegas missed playoff when their core players were injury, what can we say about Devils. 

I`m waiting  84-94 points. It could changed, if two or more core players will miss a lot of games, or our goaltending will svck again. Or if Zett and Holtz will pan out at the same time and Mercer will make next big step. If Nico, Jack and Bratt will stay healthy most of the time and Holtz and Mercer will score 50 goals together, this team can make next step on the longer distance.

I like the team and what kind of job Fitz made. He adressed 5on5 goaltending, board game, third center position, defensive building. Now it`s time to see what will work and what will not.  LGD!

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

If “Raty” is pronounced “Ratu”, all things are possible. 

I remember some black comedian cracked a pretty funny joke about going to some game in Montreal in the early 90s, and saw the goalie with "ROY" on the back of his jersey and just assumed it was "ROY", as in Roy Rogers...then after a big save the comic said "And then I hear all is this "WAAAA!" sh!t!  What the fvck is THAT?!"

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I mean sure, but isn’t he just saying what he’s expected to say?

Yes, but it says something that sometimes people like hearing what they are supposed to hear.  Supposed to make you like him more. 

That being said, I expect him to really play well in the A. Maybe even pushing an assist per game, logging 22-24 minutes a night.

He earned a lot of fans with the camp that he had. Also our defense has not been this deep in years, but being able to call up one of Nemec, Okhotiuyk, or Walsh is pretty nice to have.

A lot of guys talk about being disappointed or feeling like they did enough to make the team. And then you have guys who demand a trade when they don’t make a team (Lias Andersson, etc). I liked that he took it as a necessary part of his career 

Kravsoft and Lias Andersson were guys who couldn't say what was expected of them in similar situations and instead made a big deal of it publicly. Certainly happy that Simon isn't cut from the same cloth as those losers. Can't take it for granted because evidently it happens. And fortunately to the rags.

Everyone knows those situations are few and far between, and even more rare when it’s an 18 year old recent draft pick. The situations don’t really compare.

He’s smart enough to say the right thing, I guess with McLeod still on the team that’s something. 

Edited by mfitz804

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Everyone knows those situations are few and far between, and even more rare when it’s an 18 year old recent draft pick. The situations don’t really compare.

He’s smart enough to say the right thing, I guess with McLeod still on the team that’s something. 

Saying something he’s supposed to say is evidence of a good attitude.