Your New Jersey Devils Regular Season Thread: 2022-2023 Edition

Crisis

7 hours ago, MB3 said:

so the devils today have changed their twitter logo and their instagram logo to the traditional devils logo but without the background circle.

could be totally nothing. could be a hint at the new reverse retro. could be a hint at a different new uniform? but it felt worth pointing out.

That’s also their hashtag logo this season but it may have always been like that and I’m just noticing now

9 hours ago, Nicomo said:

We can collect all the top picks we want, it won’t matter until they get a real coach and fix the goaltending. 

I really like the work Fitz has done with this roster during his time here but going full Shero with Lindy Ruff just makes no sense. I hope he rights the ship before it costs him his job.  

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I really like the work Fitz has done with this roster during his time here but going full Shero with Lindy Ruff just makes no sense. I hope he rights the ship before it costs him his job.  

Yeah Ruff has been an absolute disaster…there’s just no sugarcoating it.  And keeping him around damned near negates what I thought was a solid offseason, re:  personnel moves.

Palat must be thinking “What the hell did I walk into?!”  Especially considering where he came from.

• Like 3

First miles, now nico speaking up.   Every goalie has been worse as a result of the "system" in place (even blackwood would be better).   Or as nico said, "confusion on the ice".   That's unacceptable at the nhl level (hell, any level it's unacceptable)  

Is it Jack's turn next game to be critical?

38 minutes ago, bobilly45 said:

First miles, now nico speaking up.   Every goalie has been worse as a result of the "system" in place (even blackwood would be better).   Or as nico said, "confusion on the ice".   That's unacceptable at the nhl level (hell, any level it's unacceptable)  

Is it Jack's turn next game to be critical?

If there's confusion on the ice, then that's on the coaching staff.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MB3 said:

until the NHL switches to tiny nets and no goalies, you cannot convince me this is a “heck of a roster”. 

the devils had the worst goaltending in the league last year. they rolled into this year with the same 1A. 

that’s a personnel issue.

Wonder if you leave out the part where he was injured / playing hurt because you truly constantly forget it, ignore it or if you do know but it doesn't fit your narrative so you purposely leave it out? 

Playing a fully healed 1A is simply not the same as playing an injured 1A. No matter how much your emotions can't handle that fact

Edited by SterioDesign

21 minutes ago, MB3 said:

is my narrative “Mackenzie Blackwood should not have been the starting goaltender for the 2022 New Jersey Devils”? 

because i don’t think you fall on the majority side of that narrative coin homie.

Yeah and that is all based on emotions not necessarily common sense.

Anyone willing to be fair here can at the very least admit Blackwood was injured for 2 years now. So we haven't seen him perform like he should. But we've seen what he can do when he's healthy, in the NHL. We've seen it.

And they can also admit that this is insanely early in the season. He played okay in pre-season and had a not great game so far. That's it. How many top fvcking goalies are consistently always slow to start every NHL seasons.

This is still ALL within very reasonable "let's wait and see" territory. Based on countless historical and data driven observation

But no. you emotional haters just cannot wait to throw him under the bus. You desperately need any scapegoat to throw your frustration at instead of just... being adults and calm yourself, this is just sports. (my opinion, not telling you how to feel, just pointing out that you look ridiculous when you act that way)

He might just suck at this point. But we still don't know that and still have to be patient. It's been 2 games. Calm down.

Bottom line. is it truly unreasonable to wait more than 2 games . 1 game per goalies. One who's just finally coming back from being hurt for 2 years and another one playing on a new team. Before we want to throw them into the sun? Easy question. 

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Anyone willing to be fair here can at the very least admit Blackwood was injured for 2 years now. So we haven't seen him perform like he should. But we've seen what he can do when he's healthy, in the NHL. We've seen it.

Nobody here is fair enough to admit this. 8 different goalies since opening night last year, all with the same results. Nobody is suggesting any of them are Shesterkin, but when 8 guys have the same results, maybe it’s not 100% a goaltending issue. 

I don’t think the Devils have decided who is 1a and 1B. I have a feeling the plan was always Blackwood and Vanecek split the first 2 games and go from there. I think they will let the goalies decide who is better. Unfortunately neither goalie has impressed much yet. Bernier may be a real dark horse starter if he can heal up right. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Nobody here is fair enough to admit this. 8 different goalies since opening night last year, all with the same results. Nobody is suggesting any of them are Shesterkin, but when 8 guys have the same results, maybe it’s not 100% a goaltending issue. 

Also appears that nobody is willing to admit that signing Bernier who should have been a decent goalie. Almost didn't play at all. And any other goalies struggled for multiple reasons. This is sort of not on the coaches at all. You can be fvcking... Pat Burns. If ALL the goalies you have available can't stop pucks. There's truly not much you can do.

And as a GM. if all your starting goalies are getting hurt. But still under contract and that there's not much available out there. It's not really something you can do much about.

Jack Campbell might have been the top goalie on the market this summer. He's a .851 and got pulled already i think i heard. Murray is already out for 4 weeks in Toronto. etc 

11 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I don’t think the Devils have decided who is 1a and 1B. I have a feeling the plan was always Blackwood and Vanecek split the first 2 games and go from there. I think they will let the goalies decide who is better. Unfortunately neither goalie has impressed much yet. Bernier may be a real dark horse starter if he can heal up right. 

Yeah I think was the plan all along and I don’t see the Devils deviating from it anytime soon.  If Blackwood doesn’t regain his earlier form maybe he gets dealt, but I’m thinking he gets at least 10 starts before that would happen…I may not believe in him much at this point, but one meh-ish start when he’s finally healthy is never going to send him directly to mothball territory on its own.  VV just got signed for three years so gotta think he’ll get every last chance to settle in (which I completely understand and support).  Right now it’s fingers crossed and hope roughly 20 games into the season that both these guys are stopping pucks and getting help from their teammates.

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah I think was the plan all along and I don’t see the Devils deviating from it anytime soon.  If Blackwood doesn’t regain his earlier form maybe he gets dealt, but I’m thinking he gets at least 10 starts before that would happen…I may not believe in him much at this point, but one meh-ish start when he’s finally healthy is never going to send him directly to mothball territory on its own.  VV just got signed for three years so gotta think he’ll get every last chance to settle in (which I completely understand and support).  Right now it’s fingers crossed and hope roughly 20 games into the season that both these guys are stopping pucks and getting help from their teammates.

They can very well pull out of this and be fine in a few weeks. I think the thing that has everyone upset is that this team currently looks exactly like last seasons team and it just shouldn’t be that way. There’s too much talent. Not “win 2 rounds of playoffs” talent, but definitely better than starting the season out scored 4-10. 

3 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

They can very well pull out of this and be fine in a few weeks. I think the thing that has everyone upset is that this team currently looks exactly like last seasons team and it just shouldn’t be that way. There’s too much talent. Not “win 2 rounds of playoffs” talent, but definitely better than starting the season out scored 4-10. 

Exactly this.  It’s not that they’re 0-2.  It’s how they got there.  It feels like enough ingredients are there to cook a decent meal, but the head chef has no idea how to even preheat the oven.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Exactly this.  It’s not that they’re 0-2.  It’s how they got there.  It feels like enough ingredients are there to cook a decent meal, but the head chef has no idea how to even preheat the oven.

Ruff: “I can’t cook frozen fish in the microwave?”

*storms off*

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

33 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Correct. People having a meltdown over Blackwood starting the first game was hysterical. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1