Your New Jersey Devils Regular Season Thread: 2022-2023 Edition

Crisis

41 minutes ago, MB3 said:

i know you’re borderline tithed to Blackwood at this point but in the same way i stanned for Zacha before the ship was sinking, I’m always ready to give props to someone who believes in someone despite what the statistics and eye test tell us.

Only in your mind. 

49 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

He constantly teases like this. It’s the entire month long stretches where he completely disappears that have always been the problem with him. 

I feel like we’re going to spend the entire season hearing about how great Zacha is doing. He was literally dropped into a perfect situation in Boston where he’s going to be getting top 6 minutes with two veteran Czech stars/superstars.  He’s a dude that’s always needed motivation and those two are going to hold him to a higher standard.  For his sake, I hope he has a great season but I think that 65 points over 82 games or whatever it was two years ago was probably the best we were ever going to get in NJ 

Edited by Lateralous

5 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I feel like we’re going to spend the entire season hearing about how great Zacha is doing. He was literally dropped into a perfect situation in Boston where he’s going to be getting top 6 minutes with two veteran Czech stars/superstars.  He’s a dude that’s always needed motivation and those two are going to hold him to a higher standard.  For his sake, I hope he has a great season but I think that 65 points over 82 games or whatever it was two year ago was probably the best we were ever going to get in NJ 

29 G and 31 A over 84 GP.  And yeah, that was his peak as a Devil.  After last season it was simply time to accept that it was never truly ever happening here.  Devils game him enough time and chances.

That’s why if he has a career year with the Bruins…so be it.  It just wasn’t meant to be here.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

5 hours ago, MB3 said:

It has been 0 days since SD has told us how to act lmao

right. post this literally after i specified in my post that im not telling you what you think or wtv. Cause i knew you'd jump on that lame deflection everytime you're stuck in a corner or someone challenge your opinion. 

And sure enough you did.

5 hours ago, MB3 said:

you’re allowed to use the *squints* results of PRESEASON HOCKEY GAMES to formulate an opinion but I’m not allowed to use 2 seasons worth of play from our goaltenders to do the same? 

this place gets weirder almost by the hour 

Here's once again, another example of you absolutely not making sense or trying to understand what people are telling you. Cause you're so obsessed with your own version of things.

Every. Single. Things. you say is misdirected. I still don't know if you're that blindly biased orif you know and play the game just to appear right. I legit don't know.

This all started from you completely ignoring very important context just to push your own narrative.

Then when i call you out on it. you ignore it as usual and just deflect.

I didn't formulate any opinion based on pre-season games. I gave context that if both goalies would have sucked every single games they played this year (and even then it wouldn't have been enough games to freak out imo) that at least there would be something tangible to freak out about. They both showed they can be serviable in the NHL when they are not healthy.

So stop with your tired "oh so you're allowed but im not" thing. it's always ridiculous. You know damn well that you're cherrypicking parts of reality to excuse your pathetic meltdowns.

• Like 1

It is going to be a long season with Blackwood in goal. Blackwood has shown that he is a terrible goalie. Vitek must show more than what he did in his first game. Fitz was stuck with Blackwood and had one year left of his contract. Fitz hoped for improvement from Blackwood; after all, it is a contract year for him with another team. So acquiring Vitek would give support. That is not the case so far. Come on, Vitek, get yourself together. 

Go Devils

14 minutes ago, MB3 said:

lmao you think really, really highly of yourself. i wish i had the same self image if i’m being honest.

This has nothing to do about me. nothing.

You made yet another emotional, dumb, cherrypicked and biased statement saying that our personnel went with the same 1A than they did last year as if they truly thought they'd be getting the same exact results he gave last year and completely left out that he was playing hurt for 2 seasons now. It has nothing to do with me.

Edited by SterioDesign

Just now, SterioDesign said:

This has nothing to do about me. nothing.

You made yet another emotional, dumb, cherrypicked and biased statement saying that our personnel went with the same 1A than they did last year like they truly thought they'd be getting the same exact results he gave last year and completely left out that he was playing hurt for 2 seasons now. It has nothing to do with me. 

He also left out that aside from him starting the first game, which could have been for various reasons, there's no evidence he has been picked as "1A".

So the statement lacked foundational elements from the outset, which is surprising since he's an architect. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

He also left out that aside from him starting the first game, which could have been for various reasons, there's no evidence he has been picked as "1A".

So the statement lacked foundational elements from the outset, which is surprising since he's an architect. 

Anyone reading his posts knows exactly what he did lol

He's certainly not going to lose his mind about Spencer Knight having a .889 Save% after one game. Cause when it's convenient to his narratives... suddenly he understands that context is important 

3 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Spencer Knight isn’t 2 years removed from his last nhl-average season. 

Yeah, Blackwood has battled lingering injuries for 2 years. Is it your experience that goalies who suffer long, drawn out, multi-year injuries suddenly become the picture of health and play just as well as they did pre-injury? Because if so, can we go get Cory back?! 

you don't have to explain context to me. I'm fully aware of all that. And i said myself that maybe Blackwood is done. But we sure can't know that yet, not after 1 game.

But you know damn well that you're biased against him and won't give him the benefit of the doubt. You couldn't wait for him to get a bad game im sure

5 minutes ago, MB3 said:

architects don’t care how the foundation gets built, it’s just my job to make it look beautiful. i let my subs take care of that. 

Novozinsky wrote on NJ.com earlier in the season that “Blackwood looks fresh… Vanicek is a solid 1B goalie thag can step in on any given night and look like a 1A.” That isn’t a Fitz quote but it’s from someone who clearly has his ear to the ground around that locker room and front office. 

I don’t care if you call Blackwood 1A or 1B — it seems pretty obvious that Blackwood isn’t their “backup” goalie. Vanicek isn’t a workhorse and none of the quotes around acquiring him indicate he’ll be treated as one. Unless you can name to me all of these backup NHL goaltenders who start the first game of the year (without an injury to the starter), I don’t think I’m making quite the leap you think I am. 

Yeah it was still a clever pun so I don't care. 

Novozinsky can write whatever he wants, it's literally his opinion. Its not even a "my sources tell me..." quote, and it was being reported as recently as August that the team wanted to part ways with Blackwood. So I don't think that makes it clear that he's a 1A. 

Also, I think if you are thinking that there is a "backup" at all, you may misunderstand what 1A and 1B signify. 

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

But you know damn well that you're biased against him and won't give him the benefit of the doubt. You couldn't wait for him to get a bad game im sure

To be fair, that was most of this board. Just take a look in the GDT for the last game and see how many people ignored Vanecek's terrible performance, but Blackwood gave op one goal through a double screen and people lost their sh!t. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

To be fair, that was most of this board. Just take a look in the GDT for the last game and see how many people ignored Vanecek's terrible performance, but Blackwood gave op one goal through a double screen and people lost their sh!t. 

100%. We knew this was going to happen.

And you're right. Vanecek had a way way worse game than Blackwood

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m sure Vanecek will also soon be hated. I’ve said before, neither goalies have been impressive but this has been going on a long time with a dozen goalies here. At some point the defensive system needs to be looked at.

For example: yes Blackwood gives up some bad rebounds, but why is there never anyone there to clear them? Why is there always an open opponent in front who can capitalize on a rebound? Why on the Frost goal against Philly was there not one, not 2, but 3 people out of position? While I’d like Blackwood and Vanecek to make some tough saves, these are signs of a defensive breakdown or confusion 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don't like Blackwood period for his play and his stupidity, have no issues saying it nor admitting it. I'm hoping Bernier comes back strong and ends up being our main goalie with Vanecek as backup and Blackwood can fvck off to another team. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

For example: yes Blackwood gives up some bad rebounds, but why is there never anyone there to clear them? Why is there always an open opponent in front who can capitalize on a rebound? Why on the Frost goal against Philly was there not one, not 2, but 3 people out of position? While I’d like Blackwood and Vanecek to make some tough saves, these are signs of a defensive breakdown or confusion 

I’ve been making this argument for over a year. When Frost scores like that off a terrible giveaway behind the net and he has 3 guys encircling him and he STILL gets a one-timer off, that’s not all on the goalie.

When Konecny fires a laser beam right through our defenseman’s legs, perfectly screening the goalie who can’t see it until it comes out the other side, that’s not all on the goalie. 

I’m not saying Blackwood is the second coming of Brodeur, not by any means. But if you want to talk about “league average goaltending”, you’re never going to have it when you consistently hang goalies out to dry. 

Ask all 7 that played last year. 

12 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I don't like Blackwood period for his play and his stupidity, have no issues saying it nor admitting it. I'm hoping Bernier comes back strong and ends up being our main goalie with Vanecek as backup and Blackwood can fvck off to another team. 

Blackwood sucks balls. He can fvck off into the sun. sh!tty goaltending is sh!tty goaltending. Bad defense doesn’t give you a pass.

If the devils signed me tomorrow to play goal I don’t get to keep the job all year just because Damon Severson exists. If you’ve proven not to be a good goalie, then you are what you are. 

• Like 3