Your New Jersey Devils Regular Season Thread: 2022-2023 Edition

Crisis

22 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I’m sure Vanecek will also soon be hated. I’ve said before, neither goalies have been impressive but this has been going on a long time with a dozen goalies here. At some point the defensive system needs to be looked at.

For example: yes Blackwood gives up some bad rebounds, but why is there never anyone there to clear them? Why is there always an open opponent in front who can capitalize on a rebound? Why on the Frost goal against Philly was there not one, not 2, but 3 people out of position? While I’d like Blackwood and Vanecek to make some tough saves, these are signs of a defensive breakdown or confusion 

Fitz got rid of the coach of the sh!tty power play and the sh!tty defense but failed to get rid of the sh!tty goalie coach. That guy really should have gone.

5 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Vanicek is a shiny new toy. He'll be given a longer rope than the guy who hasn't played well since pre-'Rona. 

It's Vanecek - with an e, not i.  You gotta update your auto correct.  It's driving me nuts!

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Let’s be honest, his position on the vaccine is why most people hate him. It started that exact moment. 

Never thought he sounded very intelligent before all of that but he lost the plot for me with that whole situation, especially with the autograph signing. Came across as a dumb diva. The sh!t play on the ice just made it worse. I won't root against him, I hope he does well for us but I don't think that's something that's gonna happen anyway.

21 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Let’s be honest, his position on the vaccine is why most people hate him. It started that exact moment. 

I think that turned a lot of people on him. Also, doing an autograph signing without at least making it known he wasn’t vaccinated was a dumb move.

But I also think people got frustrated with him for his injuries. He was really good in the 2019-20 season. Then he got covid in the 2020-21 season and he admitted his lungs weren’t right until about the end of the season. Then his heel/ankle injury came and didn’t heal properly and with some people he developed a “it’s always something” tag. I think that’s understandable. I honestly still think he can be that guy who had a .915 on a bad team and won more than half his games as a rookie but I’m starting to think it won’t happen here. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Lol I love charts!!

metric-usefulness.png

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Crisis said:

Gonna toss a grenade into this thread.

Devils are the 2nd best 5v5 team this season.

https://i.redd.it/gjn4zbhi3eu91.jpg

Reason 1087 why advanced stats are meaningless.   Apparently the Red Wings and Flyers are getting caved in while starting the season undefeated and kicking our asses in the process while we are showing 2-way dominance and demanding that the coach be fired in what might be the worst start in franchise history.  Makes tons of sense.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Dougie Hamilton, Patrik Elias, Scott Stevens, Scott Niedermayer, Igor Larionov, Brendan Shanahan.

Boom - two hands :P

I remember Tom Chorske (during an intermission) being asked to break down a goal he’d scored that period, and he did such a great job that I immediately thought “Damn, that guy should be in TV or radio when he hangs ‘em up, he’s really good at this!”

He wound up doing radio color commentary for the Devils in 2006 (he was OK; I thought he was going to be better at it than he was), and now is a hockey analyst for Fox Sports North (they cover the Wild and Gophers…Chorske’s from Minnesota).  But he sounded pretty bright the times I heard him interviewed.  

If I’m opposing team’s coach it’s so easy to prepare my team to play Devils. Something like this: 

1) Just keep the game tight for a bit, they will wilt under pressure, they’ll start running around their D zone and will give us the grade A scoring chances on the silver platter. We won’t even have to work that hard for them just some easy forecheck on the regular basis

2) Their forwards kinda suck too will never be able to score on any semi-decent chances or sustain any offensive pressure all we have to do is pay attention to detail on D and our goalie as long as he’s not literally sleeping will never have any problems seeing any shots since Devils’ forwards are really afraid of coming into the difficult areas.

3) Whatever you do on D you can always keep Siegenthaler open even if you overload one side and let him slide to the slot

4) Tatar is always good for a few giveaways 

5) Just be physical against Hughes and Hischier then we’re good

2 hours ago, Chuck the Duck said:

Reason 1087 why advanced stats are meaningless.   Apparently the Red Wings and Flyers are getting caved in while starting the season undefeated and kicking our asses in the process while we are showing 2-way dominance and demanding that the coach be fired in what might be the worst start in franchise history.  Makes tons of sense.  

I agree fully with you about advance stats often being meaningless.

but calling, 0-2-0 - Worst start in franchise history lolol sweet lord please help us

we started seasons with 6 and 7 losses before. Let's calm down or maybe juste maybe wait til we lose 6-7 in a row to make such a statement?

Edited by SterioDesign

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I remember Tom Chorske (during an intermission) being asked to break down a goal he’d scored that period, and he did such a great job that I immediately thought “Damn, that guy should be in TV or radio when he hangs ‘em up, he’s really good at this!”

He wound up doing radio color commentary for the Devils in 2006 (he was OK; I thought he was going to be better at it than he was), and now is a hockey analyst for Fox Sports North (they cover the Wild and Gophers…Chorske’s from Minnesota).  But he sounded pretty bright the times I heard him interviewed.  

Salvador is another guy who comes off really bright when he’s breaking plays down. I know the “stop it right here” has basically become a meme at this point, but he definitely knows his stuff. 

• Like 5

Just now, Nicomo said:

Salvador is another guy who comes off really bright when he’s breaking plays down. I know the “stop it right here” has basically become a meme at this point, but he definitely knows his stuff. 

Why MSG, who is owned by a large cable company, can't get him a button that he can press to signal to them to start and stop clips boggles my mind lol

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

In the current fantasy league for this board, the guy at the bottom of the league has Jack Campbell as his goalie.

Campbell's allowed seven goals on 47 shots across two starts to begin his Edmonton career. Keep things in perspective guys. 

What is this “perspective” thing of which you speak??