Your New Jersey Devils Regular Season Thread: 2022-2023 Edition

Crisis

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Problem is he’s redundant once Hughes and Nemec get up here. We’d be better off moving him for something we need.

Hughes is an LD, so he has no bearing. 

Nemec is an RD, same with Marino and Hamilton. Since the three of those guys seem a pretty good bet to stick for the next several years in NJ, it does make Severson a little bit of a man without a position. It's not totally crazy to have someone play on their off-hand, and Marino -- a more stay-at-home type probably fits that bill the best -- but the addition of Marino spelled the end of Severson's time in NJ for me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

How many years is too many?

I’m going with 1. 

Yeah there’s just no room for him, and there’s no reason to pay up for him.  And as we know, he’ll never be any better than the mixed bag that he is now.  

https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/kicking-things-off--10-takeaways/c-336737888

I get it that this is probably her role for the team, but why does she make herself seem like a main character in some of these stories? This whole thing made me cringe so horribly. 

I have a bone to pick with some of those soccer players... walking by the intense game the other day, I got caught with the ball at my legs. Upon turning around, there were a lot of guilty faces and some hysterical finger-pointing, everyone blaming the other. Those who I suspect, based on their reactions? Tatar, Palat and Haula. It was definitely one of them whose aim was off. I got a good laugh out of it, especially because nothing will (I hope) ever top the last time the pre-soccer game became a little too all-inclusive and I definitely took one for the team! 

Season 1 Nbc GIF by The Good Place

Edited by MB3

7 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Our top 4 both in the top 10. I attribute this several factors: The obvious one - Nas is gone. Also, Hamilton looks like he’s returned to form. And last but not least, Marino has been fantastic. 

This is great! Of note, Siegs-Hamilton are first among those pairings in xG/60. And Graves-Marino are second on that list in xG against (and xG against per 60). Truly insane that they're even in the top 10 in xG% as two guys who, going into this season, were thought to be stay-at-home defensemen.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Imagine if their goalies can collectively start stopping 90% of the shots coming their way.  At least we’ve seen signs that it could happen.  

• Like 1

Palat's injury and Holtz's failure to nail down a spot really show how little depth we have for a decent top 6.  I wonder if it would be better to maybe see what we can get for Severson now instead of waiting as the season goes on since I think we all agree he won't be back.  I think it would be tougher to trade him later on if we are in a playoff spot or close to it.

I was talking to a friend of mine last night and he said he hoped we could somehow pull a Holtz for Meier trade.  I don't know how realistic that is or if SJ would even look to move him.  If we traded Seves I would love to get some kind of power forward not that I even have a name to give though.  I'm assuming Bahl and Okhotyuk can step in on the third line.

I'm pretty happy with the way they've been playing and I don't think they need to wait until March to make a move if we can.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, xxchaznjxx said:

Palat's injury and Holtz's failure to nail down a spot really show how little depth we have for a decent top 6.  I wonder if it would be better to maybe see what we can get for Severson now instead of waiting as the season goes on since I think we all agree he won't be back.  I think it would be tougher to trade him later on if we are in a playoff spot or close to it.

I was talking to a friend of mine last night and he said he hoped we could somehow pull a Holtz for Meier trade.  I don't know how realistic that is or if SJ would even look to move him.  If we traded Seves I would love to get some kind of power forward not that I even have a name to give though.  I'm assuming Bahl and Okhotyuk can step in on the third line.

I'm pretty happy with the way they've been playing and I don't think they need to wait until March to make a move if we can.

Mentioned this elsewhere but Meier is too expensive for the Devils to take on.  Especially with Bratt likely to get some serious coin.  

• Like 1