Your New Jersey Devils Regular Season Thread: 2022-2023 Edition

Crisis

44 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Mentioned this elsewhere but Meier is too expensive for the Devils to take on.  Especially with Bratt likely to get some serious coin.  

Yeah we didn't put much thought into the monetary aspect of it.  I just hate seeing Tatar on that top line and now reading that Johnsson got the call up is disheartening.  That's why I'm wondering if we can still get a top six winger for Seves.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xxchaznjxx said:

Yeah we didn't put much thought into the monetary aspect of it.  I just hate seeing Tatar on that top line and now reading that Johnsson got the call up is disheartening.  That's why I'm wondering if we can still get a top six winger for Seves.

If we are getting rid of Severson and Tatar, wouldn’t that be plenty of room for Meier? 

11 hours ago, xxchaznjxx said:

I think he’s worth that even with all his nonsense.  I think if that happens we might lose bratt because if this pace keeps up you’re talking 8 plus mil and 8 years. Meier would look good on our top line though. 

16 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

“Next course of action” certainly doesn’t sound good. 

Palat is clearly done for a while, this isn’t hard to read between the lines here. So, Fitzy, it’s time to trade Severson for a forward. Because only calling up Johnsson is a completely unacceptable long term solution. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Mentioned this elsewhere but Meier is too expensive for the Devils to take on.  Especially with Bratt likely to get some serious coin.  

This is incorrect. The Devils can very easily add Meier and afford Bratt’s raise. 

11 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

If we are getting rid of Severson and Tatar, wouldn’t that be plenty of room for Meier? 

If CR means this year, then yes — you’d need to find a taker for Tatar and Severson. Not a huge issue.

If CR means we can’t afford him next year (which is what I think he means, since he mentioned a Bratt raise) he is mistaken and we can fit him quite easily.

7 minutes ago, MB3 said:

If CR means this year, then yes — you’d need to find a taker for Tatar and Severson. Not a huge issue.

If CR means we can’t afford him next year (which is what I think he means, since he mentioned a Bratt raise) he is mistaken and we can fit him quite easily.

There’s still other players to sign (lots of RFAs this offseason) and how top-heavy do you want to get?  If you were to sign both Bratt AND Meier, suddenly that’s a lot of players making $7+ million AAV…and Palat’s deal isn’t cheap either.  Sharangovich is likely to get a nice raise; we’ll see what happens with Blackwood.  Dawson’s ELC is up after next season; both L Hughes and Nemec figure to start their ELCs next season…hard to imagine if they turn out to be what we think they will, that they won’t command some big raises too.  

Devils could probably manage to fit in a shorter-term expensive AAV contract, but I’m guessing Meier would want something long-term.  

19 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

There’s still other players to sign (lots of RFAs this offseason) and how top-heavy do you want to get?  If you were to sign both Bratt AND Meier, suddenly that’s a lot of players making $7+ million AAV…and Palat’s deal isn’t cheap either.  Sharangovich is likely to get a nice raise; we’ll see what happens with Blackwood.  Dawson’s ELC is up after next season; both L Hughes and Nemec figure to start their ELCs next season…hard to imagine if they turn out to be what we think they will, that they won’t command some big raises too.  

Devils could probably manage to fit in a shorter-term expensive AAV contract, but I’m guessing Meier would want something long-term.  

Bratt already counts for 5.5 against the cap. You can fit his ~$4m raise simply by adding the amount the cap is expected to go up (between 4.5 and 6.5) 

Severson, Graves, Tatar, and Bernier all come off the books. Likely only Graves, if any of those, will be re-signed. Smaller contracts like Wood, Haula and Johnsson’s deals are gone too.

You would then have somewhere in the ballpark of $27.5m with the only key RFAs being Sharangovich, Blackwood and Zetterlund.

It is beyond any reasonable doubt the Devils can afford Meier. The core is locked up for the next several years, and the only real “big” internal contracts we’ll need to hand out is Mercer’s in 2 more seasons. If Luke Hughes takes the league by storm, maybe his too. 

There’s room. The Devils should use it. 

If you follow the Avalanche mold; 

They’ve got $39.8m tied up to their offensive core of 5 second+contract players moving forward.

They’ve got $24.5m tied up to their defensive core of 4 players.

The Devils currently have:

$30m tied up to their offensive core of 4 second+ contract players: Nico, Jack, Bratt, Palat  (I gave bratt a raise to $9m)

$17m tied up to their defensive core of 3 second+ contract players.

The defensive spots will be filled with 2 rookies and 1 more “big” contract. The offense can, and should, easily accommodate one more electric top-6 guy. And if that move is made, maybe the Devils explore a Sharangovich trade.

26 minutes ago, MB3 said:

If you follow the Avalanche mold; 

They’ve got $39.8m tied up to their offensive core of 5 second+contract players moving forward.

They’ve got $24.5m tied up to their defensive core of 4 players.

The Devils currently have:

$30m tied up to their offensive core of 4 second+ contract players: Nico, Jack, Bratt, Palat  (I gave bratt a raise to $9m)

$17m tied up to their defensive core of 3 second+ contract players.

The defensive spots will be filled with 2 rookies and 1 more “big” contract. The offense can, and should, easily accommodate one more electric top-6 guy. And if that move is made, maybe the Devils explore a Sharangovich trade.

Funny you should mention Sharangovich…I was just thinking about potential Holtz + Sharangovich for Meier + a 3rd round pick.  The idea being Meier is then signed to at least 6 years…the Devils get the guy in the deal who’s currently the best player and they will have two less RFAs to worry about paying down the road…and gotta give to get.  And once Mercer is re-signed, pretty damned good Top 6 locked up for a while.

On a side note I think they could keep Haula…he won’t cost much.  I won’t be terribly surprised if the rest of the UFAs aren’t retained.  Also can see RFAs like Boqvist and McLeod not tendered offers. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

52 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Palat won’t accompany team to western Canada… reevaluated Monday… 😭

Went from being a game time decision to probably being out for the year in three days. The way the Devils handle injuries are an embarrassment.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

First I’m hearing about rejecting an 8 year deal. 

If that’s true, wouldn’t surprise me if it was in the $6 - 6.5 million range AAV.  At the rate he’s going he might wind up with $9.5 - 10 million AAV instead.  He’s just been ridiculous.