Your New Jersey Devils Regular Season Thread: 2022-2023 Edition

Crisis

31 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I still would prefer Haula as 3rd line center but I guess this might be some of why the coaching staff keeps them together. Still not a fan 

Perhaps this is true, among people who don’t actually watch the games. I’m curious what the time split is between “with” and “without”. 

9 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Look at fvcking Karlsson still doing his thing…

Gotta wonder if San Jose will use this visit to the fountain of youth he’s had to try to unload his contract. They have 18.5 million tied up in him and Vlasik for the next 4 years

Edited by Devil Dan 56

8 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Perhaps this is true, among people who don’t actually watch the games. I’m curious what the time split is between “with” and “without”. 

I’d also want to know what actual goals against versus actual goals for numbers look like.

Advanced stat proponents when trying to prove a controversial point always seem to leave out that nugget.

2 hours ago, jagknife said:

I’d also want to know what actual goals against versus actual goals for numbers look like.

Advanced stat proponents when trying to prove a controversial point always seem to leave out that nugget.

That’s because they can be manipulated to show anything you want to show lol. 

13 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Pretty good company. 

If you have the most even strength points in the league, shouldn’t your +\- be better than a -5?   I realize most of that team are minuses but there’s still 7 Sharks ahead of him.   

Admittedly I was never a huge fan.   I always saw him as a guy who caused close to as many goals against and he produced on offense.   

Edited by Lateralous

23 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I still would prefer Haula as 3rd line center but I guess this might be some of why the coaching staff keeps them together. Still not a fan 

Agree, hate Haula with Jack.  But Jack keeps racking up goals regardless.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

52 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Agree, hate Haula with Jack.  But Jack keeps racking up goal regardless.

Right. Now 18 goals in 20 games? Can you say it “isn’t working”?

The answer is yes, you can. We should be getting an assload of secondary scoring from Jack’s line. There is a reason we aren’t, and that reason is not Jack. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Right. Now 18 goals in 20 games? Can you say it “isn’t working”?

The answer is yes, you can. We should be getting an assload of secondary scoring from Jack’s line. There is a reason we aren’t, and that reason is not Jack. 

And that’s exactly why I hate Haula with Jack.  He should be racking up assists too.

BTW it’s 19 goals in 20 games.  Just fvcking NUTS.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Agree, hate Haula with Jack.  But Jack keeps racking up goals regardless.

Thing is most goals from Jack are more often than not chances he created for himself. So he could have played with anyone and still get those points.

But we also see the amazing setup he's giving Haula who's never finishing them. If we'd have a true goal scorer on those lines... mannnn

Very glad to shove this in the face of Habs fans who were saying Caufield was far ahead of Jack in his development and better... lol

Not that they ever really had an argument for that but they... that's what brainwashing, an echochamber and confirmation bias can do to people lol

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Very glad to shove this in the face of Habs fans who were saying Caufield was far ahead of Jack in his development and better... lol

Not that they ever really had an argument for that but they... that's what brainwashing, an echochamber and confirmation bias can do to people lol

I never saw that claim anywhere, but I have seen a lot of Habs fans say Suzuki is better than Nico. Which I never really bought either. 

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

I never saw that claim anywhere, but I have seen a lot of Habs fans say Suzuki is better than Nico. Which I never really bought either. 

Well i don't want to assume that you don't... but i will assume that you're not exposed much to french habs fans? The things i hear and read is out of this world at times lol

5 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Thing is most goals from Jack are more often than not chances he created for himself. So he could have played with anyone and still get those points.

But we also see the amazing setup he's giving Haula who's never finishing them. If we'd have a true goal scorer on those lines... mannnn

Yeah I was more pointing out that at least Haula isn’t stopping Jack from scoring goals.  But he is hurting his point total for sure, because Jack clearly sets people up with Grade A scoring chances…and right now that’s a real shame because it’s Haula and Tatar that Jack is stuck with.  Neither are worthy…it really feels like Jack should have roughly 10 more assists this season.

Jesper Friggin’ Boqvist has managed to find the net more than Haula this season…and given how many absolute top-notch looks Haula gets, it’s that much more infuriating to watch him NEVER fvcking score.  It’s rather astonishing the Devils managed to get a player even more frustrating than the guy they traded to get him.

And the guy did have a respectable 18 goals last season…how can he just not suddenly score at all?!  I get that crazy sh!t can happen…but damn, all of TWO goals and managing to be THAT unproductive despite being handed SO many glorious opportunities?!  Goddamn…

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah I was more pointing out that at least Haula isn’t stopping Jack from scoring goals.  But he is hurting his point total for sure, because Jack clearly sets people up with Grade A scoring chances…and right now that’s a real shame because it’s Haula and Tatar that Jack is stuck with.  Neither are worthy…it really feels like Jack should have roughly 10 more assists this season.

Jesper Friggin’ Boqvist has managed to find the net more than Haula this season…and given how many absolute top-notch looks Haula gets, it’s that much more infuriating to watch him NEVER fvcking score.  It’s rather astonishing the Devils managed to get a player even more frustrating than the guy they traded to get him.

And the guy did have a respectable 18 goals last season…how can he just not suddenly score at all?!  I get that crazy sh!t can happen…but damn, all of TWO goals and managing to be THAT unproductive despite being handed SO many glorious opportunities?!  Goddamn…

I didn’t think this was possible but apparently it is. He’s been beyond frustrating to watch botch chance after chance to score.

2 hours ago, Bonginator11 said:

I didn’t think this was possible but apparently it is. He’s been beyond frustrating to watch botch chance after chance to score.

Yeah said it before, but the Devils managed to trade Almost for Never.  As much as I know that Haula wasn’t supposed to be Jack’s wing, dude, he sets you up with SO many prime chances, and it’s not like you’ve never scored goals…you literally can’t find a way to bury ANY of them?  EVER?!

Mentioned back on 12/12 that I bet Hughes finishes with more points for this season alone than Kakko will have for his whole career.

So far:

Hughes:  26 G, 23 A (thanks for nothin’ Haula), 49 points 

Kakko:  35 G, 41 A, 76 points

If Jack can get to 100+ points, I think he pulls it off.  Kakko would need to notch 24+ points in his team’s remaining 40 games to “beat” Jack (Kakko has yet to be anywhere near that productive over a  40-game stretch in the NHL to date).

Obviously if either player misses significant time, there goes the “race”.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Puckbuster said:

No way is Haula on Jack’s line better.  

8D096144-2196-4312-B227-7088D9482D13.png

0DECF663-950A-447B-9486-72A8153C4124.png

143D87AD-F776-405B-9F09-D931334750E4.jpeg

Your first chart is goals for, we know Haula isn’t scoring. It’s also mislabeled, the last column appears to be TOI minutes per goal or Haula would be scoring 300 goals per minute.  Your second chart is using Bratt as the 3rd player but Hughes has been playing recently with Tatar and Haula. He plays with Bratt on the powerplay which is going to skew those numbers. Not sure if that was a convenient accident or not. That third chart looks like expected goals and I personally don’t put much stock in that. It’s also showing that the expected goals for is 2 times as high with Haula in the 6th column (2.9 vs 6)

The reason Ruff says he likes Haula there is the possession numbers and because Jack produces more the more he has a chance to get the puck. Personally I’d prefer Palat (who I also think can help with possession) on the left and Sharangovich/Mercer/Holtz on the right. I don’t see the point of Tatar there. I’d love Bratt on the right but he and Nico work well together and I get the idea of keeping Bratt and Jack separate. Haula I like at 3rd line center with Tatar and whoever isn’t with Jack, so Mercer or Sharangovich