Your New Jersey Devils Regular Season Thread: 2022-2023 Edition

Crisis

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

I’m honestly surprised he isn’t better at them considering he has really quick hands. But if the level in which he improved his shot is any indication I think he will get better at face offs at some point, too.

Nico wasn’t very good at them his first couple years either (not as bad as Jack, but still), and he improved greatly in that department. 

I feel like face offs are one of those things that has a bunch of intricacies that you learn from veterans. Like Zajac and Haula may be able to teach him about different angles and Nico can teach him how to cross check an opposing player’s knee (kidding but I’m sure it’s a good skill to have)

7 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I feel like face offs are one of those things that has a bunch of intricacies that you learn from veterans. Like Zajac and Haula may be able to teach him about different angles and Nico can teach him how to cross check an opposing player’s knee (kidding but I’m sure it’s a good skill to have)

I think you’re probably spot on. That makes more sense to me than just a pure strength argument. 

And while we’re at it, after Zajac teaches Jack about face offs can we get Marty down on the ice to work with Blackwood on rebound control? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Ofc he’s getting worse at them, he’s not getting a chance to take many anymore. You can’t improve on something you’re not good at unless you work at it. A lot. 

Anyway, if face offs are my superstar center’s biggest “kyrptonite” I can live with that. He could be horrendous defensively, or exclusively just a playmaker, etc. Sorry, but I just can’t get too worked up about face offs when a guy can have 50 goal, 100 point seasons. 

I understand what you are saying and if that is his only weakness, it is what it is.  It just sucks having to watch Haula on his line.  Hopefully, things work out with the new lines if he implements them in game.

Jack is bad at faceoffs. There's absolutely no way to deny that. But I'm with @Nicomo, he needs to struggle there and get better. 

Plenty of superstars struggle with faceoffs. MacKinnon took 3 years and 2,000 faceoffs before he started becoming a guy who could win >50% of his draws. Jack's still only taken 1500 faceoffs. Sebastian Aho was a ~40% guy until he took ~2,300 faceoffs. I don't think it's a strength/size thing either -- Mark Scheifele is a monster out there and he was a 42% FO guy for the first 4 years of his career. 

He'll get better. These guys (almost) always do. 

• Like 1

Not to mention that Jack clearly has the drive to do his best to improve .  He’s made major strides every season.  I’m sure he wants to improve his faceoff win% as much as he does every other part of his game.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I mean I think if it could be taught that fast, it would probably be done already…

My original comment was obviously a joke. I was just trying to think of another former Devil still involved with the organization that could help with something one of our current players struggles with. 

17 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

My original comment was obviously a joke. I was just trying to think of another former Devil still involved with the organization that could help with something one of our current players struggles with. 

I guess I didn't get it. I suspect we may not see much more of Mackenzie anyway. Does anyone know if Schmid was sent back down? If so I missed it. 

11 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well that's a step closer to fvck yeah

I wish “D” was “all of the above” instead of Nolan “Slow” Foote

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Because you are more of a Blackwood fan?

BBFD52E8-29E4-444C-B1CA-E63D264CB800.gif

This is absolutely most worthy of an obnoxious bat flip and the most showboat-y trotting around the bases ever known to man heh heh...but only once you're fully done admiring your shot...cause you earned that.

• Like 1