Your New Jersey Devils Regular Season Thread: 2022-2023 Edition

Crisis

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Figure everyone could use a chuckle on a dreary day:

Mike McLeod:  41 GP, 4 G, 14 A, 18 Pts

Alexis Lafailiere:  41 GP, 5 G, 13 A, 18 Pts

Kaapo Kakko:  42 GP, 9 G, 9 A, 18 Pts

Well they're all obvious first round picks... lol. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Well they're all obvious first round picks... lol. 

All kidding aside, McLeod's already tied his career high in assists and is only 3 points away from establishing a new career-high.  He's kinda quietly had a solid 4th-liner season.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

All kidding aside, McLeod's already tied his career high in assists and is only 3 points away from establishing a new career-high.  He's kinda quietly had a solid 4th-liner season.  

He’s been really good lately. I’m looking forward to seeing him back with Bastian. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

He’s been really good lately. I’m looking forward to seeing him back with Bastian. 

Obviously you're always hoping for more from a #12OA pick, but you when think about all of the ones who never even make it, or get a lot of chances even though they're god-awful simply because of where they were drafted, a guy looking like he could have success (albeit in a non-glamorous role) isn't the worst thing in the world.

Of course, still gotta see what happens with his situation.  

39 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Plus he hasn't been banned from the NHL for life for his "other activities" yet, so that's a plus. 

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Obviously you're always hoping for more from a #12OA pick, but you when think about all of the ones who never even make it, or get a lot of chances even though they're god-awful simply because of where they were drafted, a guy looking like he could have success (albeit in a non-glamorous role) isn't the worst thing in the world.

Of course, still gotta see what happens with his situation.  

What helps in that draft is that we got Bratt. Who's currently 7th in points from his draft class eventhough he was picked in the 6th round.

And McLeod may not be top of the class but he's in there and actually i remember precisely how that draft class was projected and it was said there was a HUGE drop in talent after Jost. To the point that we didn't even care much to trade back at that point. We got McLeod and Bastian who technically have a way better points per game than Jost. Goes to show how you just never know with the draft.

image.thumb.png.6ef69f6ea112c97bd635e330997f52fc.png

26 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

What helps in that draft is that we got Bratt. Who's currently 7th in points from his draft class eventhough he was picked in the 6th round.

And McLeod may not be top of the class but he's in there and actually i remember precisely how that draft class was projected and it was said there was a HUGE drop in talent after Jost. To the point that we didn't even care much to trade back at that point. We got McLeod and Bastian who technically have a way better points per game than Jost. Goes to show how you just never know with the draft.

It's funny, if you didn't know anything about either's draft history, you would've thought Bratt was the first rounder, and McLeod the sixth rounder.  Oh well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

image.thumb.png.6ef69f6ea112c97bd635e330997f52fc.png

I always wondered if Shero had been able to pull off the Hall trade a week earlier, does he grab Chychrun?   We thought we were loaded on D with young guys and desperately needed a forward.  The run on forwards in the early part of that draft and Chychrun tumbling out of the top 5 really seemed to hurt the Devils at the time.   

oh well, at least I don’t see that huge center that Ottawa traded up to grab with our original pick anywhere on that list either.   

2 hours ago, Lateralous said:

I always wondered if Shero had been able to pull off the Hall trade a week earlier, does he grab Chychrun?   We thought we were loaded on D with young guys and desperately needed a forward.  The run on forwards in the early part of that draft and Chychrun tumbling out of the top 5 really seemed to hurt the Devils at the time.   

oh well, at least I don’t see that huge center that Ottawa traded up to grab with our original pick anywhere on that list either.   

I’ve thought about this kind of thing a lot too. Chychrun was projected to go significantly earlier, and you wonder how much consideration was given to pick him at pick 11, especially since Shero ended up trading back a spot. It kind of suggests that McLeod was not their target going into the draft, but they must not have liked Chychrun enough to let that stop them from taking a forward. 

I feel that even if Shero had made that Hall trade sooner, he may still have skipped on Chychrun, since he was so committed to the “fast, attacking, supportive” plan at the time. McLeod was never projected to be a first line talent, but he certainly was fast enough and had that tenacity. 

It is definitely frustrating when the organization seems to miss on a pick like that but at the end of the day, the things that have happened since then have changed the franchise in a much more significant way. Since that draft, the Devils’ first rounders have been: Hischier, Smith (Marino), Hughes, Holtz, Mercer, Mukhamadullin, Hughes, Stillman, Nemec. Hard to say any of those outside of Stillman won’t be solid bets to be NHL players, if not high end ones (if they aren’t already). 

• Like 1

On 1/12/2023 at 10:00 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Figure everyone could use a chuckle on a dreary day:

Mike McLeod:  41 GP, 4 G, 14 A, 18 Pts

Alexis Lafailiere:  42 GP, 5 G, 13 A, 18 Pts

Kaapo Kakko:  43 GP, 9 G, 9 A, 18 Pts

Updated heh heh.

And as I mentioned in another thread, Kakko played in his 200th game last night.  I know because apparently Ranger shills Sam and Joe see this as some major pivotal moment in Ranger history and couldn't STFU about it.  Of course no mention of his career numbers to date...just how unbelievable awesome it is that the incredible Kaapo Kakko played in his 200th NHL game...with men no less.  

9 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Random stat I’ve been kind of looking at as the season goes on, but Nico is now tied with Patrick Sundstrom and Andy Greene for 25th all time in Devils scoring with 246 points. 

I'm sure when Kappo reaches that number in about 400 more games, there will be plenty o' celebrating going on in the World's Most Overrated Arena...

Just now, SterioDesign said:

out of curiosity what are the claims made about MSG exactly? 

They call themselves "The World's Most Famous Arena"

It underwent a massive multi-year renovation some time back.  It's OK...nothing about it really screams "Awesome!"...its main claim to fame is its location.  I haven't been there for a game in several years...probably seen 10 or so Rangers-Devils games there.  Also been there for some other events (took my wife to see The Eagles, as she's a big fan...Glenn Frey hadn't yet passed away, and I think just about all of the members throughout their history save estranged Don Felder were there, so she enjoyed it).  

8 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

out of curiosity what are the claims made about MSG exactly? 

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

...its main claim to fame is its location.  

That's pretty much it. I have been to exactly one Rangers game, but a few other events as well over the years. Its an arena, there's nothing really special about it other than being located in Manhattan. If it was located anywhere else, it would probably be torn down to put up a better arena. 

Edited by mfitz804

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

They call themselves "The World's Most Famous Arena"

It underwent a massive multi-year renovation some time back.  It's OK...nothing about it really screams "Awesome!"...its main claim to fame is its location.  I haven't been there for a game in several years...probably seen 10 or so Rangers-Devils games there.  Also been there for some other events (took my wife to see The Eagles, as she's a big fan...Glenn Frey hadn't yet passed away, and I think just about all of the members throughout their history save estranged Don Felder were there, so she enjoyed it).  

Well that appears to be a NY thing since every single pizza shop in town seems to have "best pizza in the world" sign haha

But to be honest if MSG is NOT the world's most famous arena is i'm not sure what it would be though. I can't say if its the best or wtv cause i havent been to every NHL arenas but i do think it might be the most known simply cause its in NY... which is the most popular city in the world. Thanks to Hollywood and all that.

I just checked the capacity of NHL arenas though and im shocked at how low MSG is on the list. You'd think since it's in NY and that they are hosting many many huge events that it would have been bigger. I mean, places like Detroit, colombus, st-louis, dallas, etc have more capacity? that's odd but wtv. I get since it was built a very very long time ago you cant really expand that much while new arena just build with more capacity.

Edit: i also didn't know we had the 2nd smallest capacity in the entire league. boooooo

Edited by SterioDesign

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

Well that appears to be a NY thing since every single pizza shop in town seems to have "best pizza in the world" sign haha

But to be honest if MSG is NOT the world's most famous arena is i'm not sure what it would be though. I can't say if its the best or wtv cause i havent been to every NHL arenas but i do think it might be the most known simply cause its in NY... which is the most popular city in the world. Thanks to Hollywood and all that.

I just checked the capacity of NHL arenas though and im shocked at how low MSG is on the list. You'd think since it's in NY and that they are hosting many many huge events that it would have been bigger. I mean, places like Detroit, colombus, st-louis, dallas, etc have more capacity? that's odd but wtv. I get since it was built a very very long time ago you cant really expand that much while new arena just build with more capacity.

I think they actually lost some capacity with the last renovation a couple of years back. MSG is well known but I just don’t see the aura or wonder that NYers see with it. Especially after the last renovation. I went there a lot in the 1995-2015 range before I got sick of NYC. Saw a bunch of hockey, some concerts, but there’s nothing specifically unique about it other than that it’s in NY. Also it smells like pee. 

For me the real knock is that it’s full of seats owned by large companies so the lower seats tend to be filled with dudes in suits who aren’t really into hockey. My first time there was in 95 or so and people were leaving a 1-1 game before OT to catch the train. Blew my mind as a 14 year old hockey fan. 

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I think they actually lost some capacity with the last renovation a couple of years back. MSG is well known but I just don’t see the aura or wonder that NYers see with it. Especially after the last renovation. I went there a lot in the 1995-2015 range before I got sick of NYC. Saw a bunch of hockey, some concerts, but there’s nothing specifically unique about it other than that it’s in NY. Also it smells like pee. 

For me the real knock is that it’s full of seats owned by large companies so the lower seats tend to be filled with dudes in suits who aren’t really into hockey. My first time there was in 95 or so and people were leaving a 1-1 game before OT to catch the train. Blew my mind as a 14 year old hockey fan. 

yeah and i guess its very expensive too

I just did a random google search and in this article it ranks 6th and you can read a few quotes on each locations. They do say its not really the nicest arena but it just... sort of mean something lol

https://theathletic.com/2347927/2021/02/01/nhl-arena-rankings-vegas-montreal-nashville/

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah and i guess its very expensive too

I just did a random google search and in this article it ranks 6th and you can read a few quotes on each locations. They do say its not really the nicest arena but it just... sort of mean something lol

https://theathletic.com/2347927/2021/02/01/nhl-arena-rankings-vegas-montreal-nashville/

It has history, I can’t deny that. But it’s been around in its current form since the 60’s, and in 3 other locations going back to the late 1800s or something so it’s going to have history. 

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

It has history, I can’t deny that. But it’s been around in its current form since the 60’s, and in 3 other locations going back to the late 1800s or something so it’s going to have history. 

Yeah a history of LOSERS playing there…

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Yeah it's like the latest World Juniors were held in Moncton and Halifax. The arena in Halifax has been there since 1978, capacity of 10,500, very old and eventhough its been renovated... it's still not great and Moncton who has a brand new arena has 8,800. Halifax is the bigger city and more capacity so the finals were held there. But the arena sucked. the ice was really bad. Not sure if you watched but there was problem with the ice during the semi-finals and finals, which delayed the game. And well that very bad Luke turnover in the semi-final was mostly caused by that, the puck jumped over his stick because of the ice. Even coaches were instructing their teams not to make risky plays in the neutral zone before the finals because of that.

Obviously the thing about MsG is the location and the type of acts and events it can attract, far beyond the home hockey and basketball teams.  Kind of like the Rose Bowl, even though it’s one home team is UCLA football.   

Honestly, when the Big East had Syracuse, UConn Villanova, Georgetown and St John’s in the late 80s, 90s and 2000s and they were at the top of the college basketball world, going to the Big East Tournament at MSG was one of my favorite events of the year, especially when they moved the semifinals to Friday night.   There was a buzz on the trains and around the arena that I don’t think could be replicated anywhere else. 

That being said, fvck the Rangers and Knicks.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Billy Joel is actually the winningest franchise in Garden history.

Ha, I was in Atlanta with a couple of my college buddies in November for a college football game.   We were at a bar the night before the game that was about 500 yards from Mercedes Benz stadium.   Turned out Lionel Ritchie and Billy Joel were playing there that night.   By the time we realized what was happening we were able to stubhub tix for like $13 because LR had already started.  

its not typically the type of show I would have interest in but it was fun

96FB7FE3-DEE5-40A2-B983-36CAEF0D2EF1.jpeg

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 2