Your New Jersey Devils Regular Season Thread: 2022-2023 Edition

Crisis

10 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Miles Wood has 1 goal in his last 30 games. If the BMW line being back together doesn’t get him going then they need to start seriously considering scratching him for Holtz or Zetterlund. 

I’m not sure either of those guys is a better option, but they certainly deserve a chance when that’s what Miles is doing. 

8 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Miles Wood has 1 goal in his last 30 games. If the BMW line being back together doesn’t get him going then they need to start seriously considering scratching him for Holtz or Zetterlund. 

Yeah it pretty much feels like his time here as one of the "transitional" players is almost up.  He doesn't seem to do much these days other than take costly penalties...what's odd about this is that he's only had 18 PIM over these 30 games, but the penalties that he does take always seem to be at the worst possible time and so detrimental that it feels like he's constantly in the box.

Feels like it's been way too long since I noticed him for something GOOD.  He's one of those guys that I could see being moved in a "tweak" kind of deal, in case the Devils need a minor shakeup.  

i always thought Miles Wood was that kind of player who's just a regular player but somehow has one of those crazy playoffs run. There's always those odd players coming out big in one year. Not sure why i always thought he'd be a player to do that.

He was never put much in that situation to test that theory but he might not even make it this year haha

1 goal in 30 games

56 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Looking at his stats more closely, its also only 5 points in 21 games since the beginning of December. Granted, our December sucked, but still. 

Even fvcking McLeod has more. As much as everyone thinks having the "BMW" 4th line is fun, Wood isn't contributing. Will that change now that the full line is reunited? I'm skeptical. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

1 goal in 30 games

Looking at his stats more closely, its also only 5 points in 21 games since the beginning of December. Granted, our December sucked, but still. 

Even fvcking McLeod has more. As much as everyone thinks having the "BMW" 4th line is fun, Wood isn't contributing. Will that change now that the full line is reunited? I'm skeptical. 

Bastian and McLeod have a history of playing well on the same line. Wood seemed to be fitting in with them, so maybe that will develop again? Either way I can’t see Wood really being here much longer. He’s got speed and he’s willing to get his face punched from time to time but he might be one of those guys that never fully recovers from an injury 

2 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Bastian and McLeod have a history of playing well on the same line. Wood seemed to be fitting in with them, so maybe that will develop again? Either way I can’t see Wood really being here much longer. He’s got speed and he’s willing to get his face punched from time to time but he might be one of those guys that never fully recovers from an injury 

Let's hope that works. The way he still skates, I am not sure the injury is the issue, but I guess it could be. 

24 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Let's hope that works. The way he still skates, I am not sure the injury is the issue, but I guess it could be. 

Yeah his skating seems fine but something isn’t the same as pre injury. He’s much less noticeable from game to game, although that could be because there’s more talent around him now

34 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Yeah his skating seems fine but something isn’t the same as pre injury. He’s much less noticeable from game to game, although that could be because there’s more talent around him now

He doesn't have the intensity or the explosive speed he did. He's still fast but not like he was where he could beat defenders wide starting at their own blue line and just take it to the net.

He was never a scoring machine but he has always had a knack for being in the mix when he's on the ice and that hasn't been there since the win streak. His last goal was also just a deflection off him, I think, so it wasn't even like he did anything. He just happened to be standing in the shot lane odd the face-off.

5 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Test to see if I'm banned

Edit: guess not

Edit 2:

So, did anyone actually watch the Pens game? I missed it but it seems the team may have stolen one.

They got their sh!t kicked, I thought, for the better part of.. 40 minutes? Just looked totally gassed out there.

9 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

So he’s ahead of Gio’s pace during the 48 goal season. 50 is starting to feel pretty realistic. 

I still think he gets 50-50-100, as long as he stays healthy…and re:  the assists, if his linemates EVER start consistently burying the chances that he provides for them.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Test to see if I'm banned

Edit: guess not

Edit 2:

So, did anyone actually watch the Pens game? I missed it but it seems the team may have stolen one.

Stolen isn’t the word.  It’s a miracle they got into OT.  The second period was played almost entirely in the Devils’ end.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2023 at 11:16 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah it pretty much feels like his time here as one of the "transitional" players is almost up.  He doesn't seem to do much these days other than take costly penalties...what's odd about this is that he's only had 18 PIM over these 30 games, but the penalties that he does take always seem to be at the worst possible time and so detrimental that it feels like he's constantly in the box.

Feels like it's been way too long since I noticed him for something GOOD.  He's one of those guys that I could see being moved in a "tweak" kind of deal, in case the Devils need a minor shakeup.  

It’s unfortunate. But it’s been quite a dry spell and it’s hard not to notice. I wonder if that big open ice hit he took in the Islander game had an effect. Or maybe the hip injury took a big toll. I don’t know. 

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Stolen isn’t the word.  It’s a miracle they got into OT.  The second period was played almost entirely in the Devils’ end.

That’s 4 straight games in a row we have  been outplayed. Somehow have taken 7 of 8 points. We need to be better with puck management though.

2 minutes ago, devlman said:

That’s 4 straight games in a row we have  been outplayed. Somehow have taken 7 of 8 points. We need to be better with puck management though.

For sure, the way that they’re currently winning is not sustainable.  Hoping that the ASB allows them to recover…they seem to be very fatigued.

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

For sure, the way that they’re currently winning is not sustainable.  Hoping that the ASB allows them to recover…they seem to be very fatigued.

They do seem fatigued. Hopefully after the ASG Palat, Bastian and Marino will all be re-settled in, too.

• Like 1

With the exception of a handful of games, VV has basically been a .930 save% goalie for most of the year.  For extended stretches.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

With the exception of a handful of games, VV has basically been a .930 save% goalie for most of the year.  For extended stretches.

That trade is looking like highway robbery right now. A 3rd rounder, and moving back 9 spots in the 2nd. And the Devils took Seamus Casey with that pick, who looks like a pretty good prospect. 

• Like 4

Just now, Nicomo said:

That trade is looking like highway robbery right now. A 3rd rounder, and moving back 9 spots in the 2nd. And the Devils took Seamus Casey with that pick, who looks like a pretty good prospect. 

And the funny thing is that Fitz was clearly looking for a league-average goalie, which is EXACTLY what VV had been in his first two seasons…also how he’s being paid.  He’s both exceeded his expectations AND his cap hit.  Goalies can be so year-to-year so who knows if he can repeat this next year, but he’s looked damned good most of the time.  One of the most pleasant surprises this year (along with Marino until he got hurt).

• Like 3

Vanecek has looked great this year. I didn't really know what to expect from him, but he's done just about everything we could ask for from a starting goalie. I think the team in front of him is clearly improved too, but that doesn't finish what he's done and his own individual performance.  Really hoping he can keep it up into the playoffs. 

• Like 2

So uh, who were the douchers that got the entire site shut down for the rest of us? There were definitely a few idiots that would clog up entire threads with irrelevant nonsense.. I went to come in and had no idea what happened. Was pretty disappointed and figured that was the end of the place