Your New Jersey Devils Regular Season Thread: 2022-2023 Edition

Crisis

7 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Look at how many of those winning streaks came post-Stevens and Niedermayer, too. That’s why I always get so annoyed with people who claim it was just the defense in front of him. Like he didn’t win 2 Vezina’s after those guys were gone. 

Yeah a bunch of those later Devils teams were really not as good as their records (check out their goal differentials).  Marty was plenty terrific for those squads.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Look at how many of those winning streaks came post-Stevens and Niedermayer, too. That’s why I always get so annoyed with people who claim it was just the defense in front of him. Like he didn’t win 2 Vezina’s after those guys were gone. 

I’m in a group about old school goalies and one troll constantly argues that Brodeur is a fraud because he had the trap and the Scott’s, and that Marc Denis should have won the Vezina in 2003 because Columbus was so bad. People truly don’t get just how good and consistent he was. Denis was already back in the AHL when Brodeur was winning Vezinas post Neids and Stevens 

• Like 2

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:

I’m in a group about old school goalies and one troll constantly argues that Brodeur is a fraud because he had the trap and the Scott’s, and that Marc Denis should have won the Vezina in 2003 because Columbus was so bad. People truly don’t get just how good and consistent he was. Denis was already back in the AHL when Brodeur was winning Vezinas post Neids and Stevens 

With the exception of his end-of-career full-on decline years, the only really bad year that I can remember Marty having was in 2000-01...sounds crazy, but the fact that he was often VERY mediocre that season gets covered up because that team was often so dynamic and flat-out fun to watch (and were scoring enough to overcome him).  Goalies can put up respectable win totals and GAAs on stacked teams, and by virtue of being a passenger that year, Marty was able to benefit as far as those numbers went.  But I remember being frustrated by his overall performance...especially during the Finals, where he didn't look anything like the Marty of 1999-00.  Lots of flopping and generally looking very vulnerable.

But he was plenty awesome many other seasons (duh).  He was no fraud.

14 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

The worst I’ve seen is a poll they had over at HF some years ago where they didn’t even have Marty as top 3 All-Time. I get putting Hasek and Roy ahead of him, but anything past that is just absurd. 

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

The worst I’ve seen is a poll they had over at HF some years ago where they didn’t even have Marty as top 3 All-Time. I get putting Hasek and Roy ahead of him, but anything past that is just absurd. 

I’ve seen “he’s good but definitely not top 10” and then I know that person knows nothing about hockey and I can move on. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Admittedly I do think cross-comparing over eras can be difficult...I usually try to avoid that myself.  

I do put Hasek and Roy slightly ahead of Marty, but strictly in a 1A-1B-1C sense, not 1-2-3.  You can't go wrong with any of them.  I'd probably go Roy-Hasek-Marty, but we're REALLY splitting hairs here.  If someone else decides to put them in a different order, I wouldn't feel strongly enough to debate them on it.  

• Like 1

Agree…I would absolutely use these two games before the break to see if Mercer and Hughes can click.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Jack ahead of Hall’s MVP season pace. Surprised Elias 2001 isn’t on here. 

Elias went nuts (as did much of the team) over the last quarter of that season.  He finished with 40 points over his final 22 GP.

• Like 2
  • Shocking 1

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Elias went nuts (as did much of the team) over the last quarter of that season.  He finished with 40 points over his final 22 GP.

Along with the 13 game win streak earlier this season, I remember that run around March of 2001 where the A-Line + Mogilny were just going OFF as being the one other time where I did whatever I needed to do to get to a TV to see every Devils regular season game.  Living in Philadelphia with a house full of Flyers fans back then, it was a lot harder to do than just pulling out an ipad but it was must see TV.   So much fun to watch.   

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

...and Tatar, Haula and Zetterlund would seem like a line that at least shouldn't get caved in 

Right now I’m heavily in favor of any line that Tatar and Haula are on that doesn’t involve Hughes.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

Along with the 13 game win streak earlier this season, I remember that run around March of 2001 where the A-Line + Mogilny were just going OFF as being the one other time where I did whatever I needed to do to get to a TV to see every Devils regular season game.  Living in Philadelphia with a house full of Flyers fans back then, it was a lot harder to do than just pulling out an ipad but it was must see TV.   So much fun to watch.   

Yeah I detailed it a while back but that team enjoyed a 22-2-0 run (included 3 wins against the Canes in the playoffs) where they outscored their opponents 105-46.  They were just so insanely dominant.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Brewskies said:

Imagine how lucky we are as NJ Devils fans that Fitz was able to sign VV as the backup goalie only to have VV become the #1 Starter and have an outstanding season to date and be there for an improved NJ Devils team. 

I don't think he was brought in strictly to be the backup...I think it was more "whoever emerges", though early on the Devils clearly gave Blackwood first dibs on being the 1A guy.  Almost seems laughable now.

• Like 2