Your New Jersey Devils Regular Season Thread: 2022-2023 Edition

Crisis

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

He’d have to be a rental for them, they could NEVER afford to pay him. 

True but Dubas has to win this year so that may be exactly what he intends to do.   

Edit: Also, if they are going all in, what can Toronto even offer other than their next few 1st round picks?  Dubas has the 5 guys he’s decided to keep for life and not much else.   

Edited by Lateralous

31 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

At the end of the day we all know deep down inside that he'll go to the Rangers out of nowhere 

Joe Biden Reaction GIF by Election 2020

4 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

True but Dubas has to win this year so that may be exactly what he intends to do.   

I don't think Toronto has the future assets to get it done. NJ can offer something better.

34 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

To be honest I'm feeling Carolina for Meier, hope I'm wrong but I think they're big fish hunting too.

They’re absolutely loading for bear. Patches’ Achilles snapping no-contact thrusted them into the top 6 forward hunt.

I will say I kinda agree with RWTD that they’re gonna do something, and someone ALWAYS swoops in to bail them out of any cap problems.

lastly, brattpack posted Wood’s stats for the last couple games, with unsurprisingly results. So I decided to really look at Wood’s game log: since December 15, Wood has exactly 2 points, a singular 2 assist game. He has been a positive +/- only twice. He has become a secondary scoring black hole and is dragging anyone down with him that has to suffer being on his line.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

To be honest I'm feeling Carolina for Meier, hope I'm wrong but I think they're big fish hunting too.

And this is why the Devils will be VERY lucky to pull off a trade where Holtz is the "big get" over Mercer.  It's kind of hard to sell a (currently) healthy scratch as the centerpiece (who's been unable to stick) over a guy who has at least shown himself to be an NHLer who can just jump right into their lineup.  It all comes down to how much of a price is Fitz willing to pay to land Meier?  I can definitely see him pivoting to middle-tier acquisitions...I think if he opens up to the idea of trading Mercer, he's going to dig his heels in HARD when it comes to giving up other assets...not saying he would expect to get Meier for nothing more than Mercer, just that if San Jose is insisting on HIM, then Fitz will be very careful when it comes to giving them anyone else remotely crucial to the cause.  Maybe moving Mercer means that he refuses to cough up the 2023 first.  Or Casey.

And I am definitely NOT looking to get rid of Mercer...more thinking that there will be enough other suitors involved that the Devils will have to step up if they really REALLY want Meier.      

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And I am definitely NOT looking to get rid of Mercer...more thinking that there will be enough other suitors involved that the Devils will have to step up if they really REALLY want Meier.      

The only consolation I think might help quell the bidding wars is the fact Boeser and Horvat are also on the block

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And this is why the Devils will be VERY lucky to pull off a trade where Holtz is the "big get" over Mercer.  It's kind of hard to sell a (currently) healthy scratch as the centerpiece (who's been unable to stick) over a guy who has at least shown himself to be an NHLer who can just jump right into their lineup.  It all comes down to how much of a price is Fitz willing to pay to land Meier?  I can definitely see him pivoting to middle-tier acquisitions...I think if he opens up to the idea of trading Mercer, he's going to dig his heels in HARD when it comes to giving up other assets...not saying he would expect to get Meier for nothing more than Mercer, just that if San Jose is insisting on HIM, then Fitz will be very careful when it comes to giving them anyone else remotely crucial to the cause.  Maybe moving Mercer means that he refuses to cough up the 2023 first.  Or Casey.

Ugh I know this is real life and not NHL Be a GM but I would dangle future picks, other prospects.. anything before Mercer.

The dude is a stud, under cost control for a long time, and has just... everything you want to see in a young player.  It certainly wouldn't be a lateral move by any means, but I think the addition of Meier by the subtraction of Mercer would be far less beneficial to this team than we think.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

CAR and NJ can both submit trades SJ will accept but Meier's contract negotiations also have a big impact on the deal. If he decides he wants to play in NJ it might not matter who submits the better package to SJ.

Edited by NJDevils1214
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bonginator11 said:

Jack tied for 5th in goals. I think I remember a time early in the season where Robertson had like 19 goals and Jack had like 8. The fact they are tied now is kinda nuts

Jack’s played in 2 fewer games than Robertson, too. 

14 hours ago, Nicomo said:

The longest winning streak for a Devils goalie since 2007. 

Excellent, I never thought we had a chance to make the playoffs with Blackwood as our #1 goalie. Then Fitz got Vanecek as hopefully a 1a 1b goalie combo but realized that it would probably be 1 and 2 with Blackwood as 1. Out of the woods Vanecek has carried this team, although significantly improved itself, to not only be a playoff contender but a strong playoff team fighting for a spot in the finals. Never would we have been in this position, IMO, with Blackwood. 

Let's Go Devils

• Like 1

So the Bruins lose again (now 0-2-1 in their last three) and the Canes lead the Devils by four points with two more games to play before the ASB…Devils will have two games in hand when they take the ice again.  Hopefully the Devils get some help here.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2023 at 10:39 AM, jagknife said:

They’re absolutely loading for bear. Patches’ Achilles snapping no-contact thrusted them into the top 6 forward hunt.

I will say I kinda agree with RWTD that they’re gonna do something, and someone ALWAYS swoops in to bail them out of any cap problems.

lastly, brattpack posted Wood’s stats for the last couple games, with unsurprisingly results. So I decided to really look at Wood’s game log: since December 15, Wood has exactly 2 points, a singular 2 assist game. He has been a positive +/- only twice. He has become a secondary scoring black hole and is dragging anyone down with him that has to suffer being on his line.

I think he’s hurt.  Something is not right.  It’s just conjecture, but he’s on a one year deal and maybe feels he needs to play to get a contract anywhere.

11 hours ago, Puckbuster said:

I think he’s hurt.  Something is not right.  It’s just conjecture, but he’s on a one year deal and maybe feels he needs to play to get a contract anywhere.

I agree. He definitely doesn't look 100% or he's got the most intense case of the yips he's had his whole career-- I don't just mean scoring, his entire game looks off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I agree. He definitely doesn't look 100% or he's got the most intense case of the yips he's had his whole career-- I don't just mean scoring, his entire game looks off.

I feel bad for him.  Wood and the rest of the BMW line were playing so well together at the start the season.  I hope this break helps.

4 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Jack interview on the ASG on YouTube and Catherine Bogart(I think) started off the questions with what is probably his absolute favorite "what does it mean to you..." lol.

He basically just repeated the question in statement form

• Like 1