Your New Jersey Devils Regular Season Thread: 2022-2023 Edition

Crisis

7 hours ago, pumpkin cutter said:

cmon guys. after last year i will be happy to have as many goaliles as possible come playoffs. 

That’s fine if he’s insurance.   At this point, he just can’t be in net for any type of meaningful game if there is a healthy Schmid or VV ready to go.   

• Like 3

8 hours ago, pumpkin cutter said:

cmon guys. after last year i will be happy to have as many goaliles as possible come playoffs. 

Hey I get that. The more bodies the better but I’ve lost all faith in Blackwood being anything for us. I’ve been one of his biggest supporters here for years but he’s been inconsistent and injury riddled for a long time now. I hope he figures it out but I don’t think it’ll be here. Schmid has earned a spot and you have Daws and Brennan in the pipeline 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Hey I get that. The more bodies the better but I’ve lost all faith in Blackwood being anything for us. I’ve been one of his biggest supporters here for years but he’s been inconsistent and injury riddled for a long time now. I hope he figures it out but I don’t think it’ll be here. Schmid has earned a spot and you have Daws and Brennan in the pipeline 

I play Blackwood ONLY if the Devils have clinched a specific seed and can’t move up or down.  Make sure VV and/or Schmid don’t get hurt in a meaningless game.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

It would be nice to finally get a win in these. I think they’re the best looking Adidas era Devils jerseys by far. 

Going to that game…guess I’ll be wearing either Bratt, Coleman, or Palms.

So the Canes and Rangers have a home-and-home this week, on 3/21 and 3/23.  For the love of God all I ask is that these turn out to be two-point games…no OT or SO please.  By Friday we should know if the Rangers have a shot to challenge the Devils for second in the division, or if the Devils still have a shot to finish first.

FWIW, if the Devils put up a .500 point% over their final 12 games, the Rangers would have to put up a .750 point% to pull ahead (the 3/30 head-to-head matchup is a biggie).  If the Canes put up a .500 point% over their final 14 (they currently have two games in hand on the Devils), the Devils would have to put up a .667 point% to pull ahead.  

• Like 2

Nico's last 100 NHL games:  43 G, 59 A, 102 Pts, +37

Safe to say his general level of play has turned a corner quite nicely...just hope he can keep avoiding injuries.  

Something else that's promising as hell...we know Jack has not quite been himself since returning from injury...2 G and 12 A in 16 GP.  

The Devils' record in those 16 games?  A plenty solid 10-4-2 (.688 point%), to go with 59 GF and 42 GA...their season point% is .693.  So basically even without their most talented player playing his best hockey (not to mention Bratt being held without a point in 7 out of his last 9 games), the Devils have pretty much not really missed a beat.  There's some good depth here for sure.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

Just now, jagknife said:

Also something we’ve kinda back burnered since it’s all but a foregone conclusion at this point:

If my math is correct, our magic number to clinch the playoffs is 6 points.

Yeah just a question of whether the Devils finish first, second, or third in the Metro.  The next two games are weird, as far as the Canes playing the Rangers go...what do you root for, besides wanting the games to be "clean" outcomes?  Carolina sweep?  Rangers sweep?  A split?

If I had to choose, probably a Rangers sweep.  I'd like to see the Devils have a shot at first...it still wouldn't be easy to finish off by any chance even if the Devils pull ahead by a point temporarily, but it would be really nice to avoid either the Canes or the Rangers in that first round...let one of them take the other one out.

But I can DEFINITELY understand a "fvck that, I want to make sure the Devils hang onto second no matter what...and I don't want to face the Rangers on 3/30 with them having a chance to pull closer or even ahead, depending on what happens" mentality too.  And I can understand a "Let's hope the Devils can beat the Wild and take care of the fading Sabres and Sens squads...if the Canes and Rangers split, the Devils pick up points on both of them" viewpoint too.

• Like 2

I know he’s had a fine start to his career given his age and the fact that he went right from the Q to the NHL, but is there a player who runs hotter and colder than Dawson Mercer?  He’s either tearing it up or kinda barely there.  

On 3/19/2023 at 5:51 PM, Nicomo said:

It would be nice to finally get a win in these. I think they’re the best looking Adidas era Devils jerseys by far. 

It's weird they didn't wear these on the 16th and that they haven't put it on the promotional schedule like they do for the jersey jerseys and the reverse retros 

Edited by Satans Hockey

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

It's weird they didn't wear these on the 16th and that they haven't put it on the promotional schedule like they do for the jersey jerseys and the reverse retros 

Yeah I had heard they’d be wearing them much closer to St. Patty’s Day.  

I'm such a beaten down fan here, but I just can't help but feel like the Devils are going to get rolled by whoever they face in the first round.  I'm not trying to be negative or troll anyone here - just venting.

Carolina - Pretty self-explanatory, really good, well coached team.

Rangers - I think they'll absolutely roll us with how they're playing right now.

NYI - A team built for the playoffs.

Florida - Have beaten us twice recently.

Hope I'm wrong.

17 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I'm such a beaten down fan here, but I just can't help but feel like the Devils are going to get rolled by whoever they face in the first round.  I'm not trying to be negative or troll anyone here - just venting.

Rangers - I think they'll absolutely roll us with how they're playing right now.

Hope I'm wrong.

This team has earned more respect than you are giving them.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Hope I'm wrong.

They’ve held their own against Carolina…they’ve gone 2-1-1 against them and have steadily improved in their matchups.  They’re 2-1 against the Rangers…I get that those games came awhile ago, but if you’re making a big deal out of the way that the Rangers smoked the Penguins and Preds, those are two pretty flawed teams.

Isles and Panthers are still fighting just to make the playoffs.  Isles have played well as of late in general but still have plenty of work to do.

Sure, the Devils could go out in the first round, but I don’t feel like it’s preordained by any stretch.  If it does happen, of course it will be a bummer, but just remember that this wasn’t necessarily expected to be a “deep run” kind of season, and Fitz didn’t make any costly “right now” rental moves…Timo is clearly a “right now AND beyond” deal.  

• Like 5

The best thing would be to win the division so the Rags and Canes can beat the crap out of each other in the first round. It would suck to lose to the rangers in either round but we are sort of playing with house money and getting valuable playoff experience for the young guys. I would hate to lose a series because Trouba took out one of our key players. Even more so if we didn't retaliate hard.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

We beat Tampa all 3 times in the regular season and then lost in 5 in the playoffs during the 17-18 season. I really wouldn't worry about regular season results factoring into the playoffs. 

That was VERY misleading that year...the Devils gave up 36+ shots per game (51 in that crazy Eddie Lack win) and got a lot of breaks and puck luck.  The first win was a SO win and in the final win, it felt like KK got a LOT of good fortune (as he did for much of that run...not saying that he didn't do a good job, just that a lot went his way as well). 

I at least feel like this year's Devils are showing that they can compete with teams like Carolina and others.  Their 2-1-1 record against the Canes feels legit.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Dillon said:

The best thing would be to win the division so the Rags and Canes can beat the crap out of each other in the first round. It would suck to lose to the rangers in either round but we are sort of playing with house money and getting valuable playoff experience for the young guys. I would hate to lose a series because Trouba took out one of our key players. Even more so if we didn't retaliate hard.

Yeah in a perfect world the Devils somehow find a way to claw out a first-place finish reason for EXACTLY this reason...let Carolina and the Rangers beat up on each other.  If they Devils manage to get out of the first round, only gotta face one of them.

Still a chance but the Canes being up two points AND having two games in hand is tough to overcome this late in the season.  Not saying that it absolutely CAN'T be done, just that I'm not expecting it.  I think the Devils stay where they are when all is said and done.  Another way to look at it:  if the Canes go 6-6-1 in their remaining games, Devils would have to go 8-3 to finish ahead of them...and of course, if the Canes just do a little better (say 7-4-2), suddenly you need go 9-1-1.  Canes firmly control their own destiny for now.  

• Like 1