Your New Jersey Devils Regular Season Thread: 2022-2023 Edition

Crisis

50 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

The real MVP... 

I said it i think in the sunday Tampa thread but he’s definitely the surprising catalyst. Cannot wait for him to draw back into the lineup. I don’t care if he doesn’t produce offense, for whatever reason, the team reacts different when he’s in. Like the anti-Blackwood

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

The real MVP... 

I think the Bastian injury was the most important event of the whole season. Not only did it destroy the BMW line but it started the losing streak that put us behind Carolina and we've never caught up.

• Like 3

Importing this from the Rags-Canes GDT...the Devils' remaining games (bolded for teams either playoff-bound or what I consider firmly in the hunt...I can't quite put Buffalo, Ottawa, and Washington in that category):

3/24   @ Buffalo

3/25   Ottawa

3/27   @ Islanders

3/30   Rangers

4/1   @ Blackhawks

4/2   @ Jets

4/4   Penguins

4/6   Columbus

4/8   @ Boston

4/11   Buffalo

4/13  @ Capitals

Not too too bad.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I need to see that actually happen (not like Lindy’s gonna say “Nope, he’s not playing, we’re done with him”), but if he plays in ANY game that has importance, I fvcking SWEAR…

• Like 2

Canes slowing up a bit…7-6 in their last 13 games.  Devils could make things interesting in the battle for first if they can beat both Buffalo and Ottawa this weekend.  Hopefully they get some help via the tough opponents Carolina has to face during the rest of their homestand.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Importing this from the Rags-Canes GDT...the Devils' remaining games (bolded for teams either playoff-bound or what I consider firmly in the hunt...I can't quite put Buffalo, Ottawa, and Washington in that category):

3/24   @ Buffalo

3/25   Ottawa

3/27   @ Islanders

3/30   Rangers

4/1   @ Blackhawks

4/2   @ Jets

4/4   Penguins

4/6   Columbus

4/8   @ Boston

4/11   Buffalo

4/13  @ Capitals

Not too too bad.  

Bit of a chance to exhale here and potentially get on a bit of a roll.

This could be perfect.

26 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Bit of a chance to exhale here and potentially get on a bit of a roll.

This could be perfect.

Great opportunity to be sure, especially this weekend.

There’s bound to be some bellyaching if the Devils are unable to put some real pressure on Carolina, and I get it…if the Canes have a tough rest of the homestand, Devils do have a shot.  But two things to remember:  the Devils are currently the third-youngest team in the NHL, and of the Top 8 youngest teams, no one other than the Devils has more than 72 points.  If they aren’t able to overcome the Canes and stumble against teams that they “should” beat, it could simply wind up being a case of “Not quite fully ready” to win those must-wins.  But they are still well ahead of schedule at this point.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

What I hoped for before the season:  Not being completely irrelevant before the New Year, the team being in the chase for a WC berth (or maybe even a little better) right to the very end.

What I never expected:  The Devils having the 3rd-best record in the entire NHL and being in position to clinch a playoff berth with 10 games left in their season after this one...not to mention being in contention for the Metro division title. 

Really hope they pull off the clinch tonight, formality or not...let them celebrate the HELL out of this moment.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

What I never expected:  The Devils having the 3rd-best record in the entire NHL and being in position to clinch a playoff berth with 10 games left in their season after this one...not to mention being in contention for the Metro division title. 

As apprehensive as we are about possibly playing the Rangers in the first round, the Ranger fans are just as worried about NJ, believe it. I hear it at work, at the gym, at the kids' practices, etc.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

As apprehensive as we are about possibly playing the Rangers in the first round, the Ranger fans are just as worried about NJ, believe it. I hear it at work, at the gym, at the kids' practices, etc.

It's absolutely an "Anything Can Happen" kind of series.  Going in I'd be nervous about Shesterkin getting hot, and the Devils lacking experience (and Lindy not being able to adjust to whatever the Rangers throw at the Devils).  But I don't think it's a series the Devils can't possibly win, that's for sure. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

The fvck is happening 

I guess this is their way of making sure all three goalies are getting playing time heading into the playoffs but honestly, at this point I just don’t get it.   If Vanacek or Schmid gets hurt before the playoffs, then sure, give Blackwood a game or two but as long as those two are healthy, just sit MB in the pressbox.  As a marginal goalie who is always hurt and is a UFA this summer, he has absolutely no value to us beyond being the third option for the playoffs IMO  

• Like 1