Your New Jersey Devils Regular Season Thread: 2022-2023 Edition

Crisis

6 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Biznasty becoming a believer?

Nope. I hope the Leafs miss the fvcking playoffs and the Devils sneak in and I get to hear him cry about it. For all of the good takes, his Devils takes are horrendous. 

Whitdawg is coming around though. We just need to dummy the Oilers tomorrow and he'll come around. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Obviously a small sample size, but this is interesting nonetheless. 

Did Mark Recchi take a job with the Panthers?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Do I even need to say it? If you need any further evidence that analytics are stupid, Tatar is awesome according to analytics. 

I just don’t understand how if you see those analytics but also watch him play, you don’t say ok maybe these numbers aren’t always indicative of what’s going on? I do think they can compliment the eye test at times though. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I just don’t understand how if you see those analytics but also watch him play, you don’t say ok maybe these numbers aren’t always indicative of what’s going on? I do think they can compliment the eye test at times though. 

But that’s the thing. They have no actual connection to on-ice play; it could support the eye test, or directly contradict the eye test, with no rhyme or reason. So what’s the point? They’re meaningless. 

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

But that’s the thing. They have no actual connection to on-ice play; it could support the eye test, or directly contradict the eye test, with no rhyme or reason. So what’s the point? They’re meaningless. 

Yeah that’s exactly what bothers me about them. If they match the eye test it’s celebrated but when it doesn’t, they act like we’re missing something. After the win vs Detroit, we were all celebrating Marino.  He had the worst analytic numbers on the team that night. He had a beast of a game.  So what’s the point?

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Hear you on this, I'm always open to trying to find ways to evaluate players beyond the eye-glance numbers, but a lot of hockey metrics stats are simply too flawed to treat as gospel, in that they don't consistently match up with what we're actually seeing; Seves has been a metrics darling for years (which is why he's always had his share of fanboys no matter how many WTF?! moments he has), but no one can tell me he'll ever be more than the bad-team, costly-mistake player that he's always been. 

And the problem is that too much of the hardcore metric crowd does indeed treat metrics as absolute gospel (see umph, Tri)...they'll tell you with a straight face that no, you're wrong, Tatard has really been quite good, just look at his expected awesomeness percentage share!  How do you not see it?

14 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

I think it's intentional at this point. They are literally quoting Hischier and Bratt back to Jack and Jack is basically, "Yeah, it's fun winning." 

I hope they keep trying to get Jack to say things. 

Most of them ask the same questions over and over so I'd love for Jack fvcking around with them all the time to become a thing. 

13 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Hear you on this, I'm always open to trying to find ways to evaluate players beyond the eye-glance numbers, but a lot of hockey metrics stats are simply too flawed to treat as gospel, in that they don't consistently match up with what we're actually seeing; Seves has been a metrics darling for years (which is why he's always had his share of fanboys no matter how many WTF?! moments he has), but no one can tell me he'll ever be more than the bad-team, costly-mistake player that he's always been. 

And the problem is that too much of the hardcore metric crowd does indeed treat metrics as absolute gospel (see umph, Tri)...they'll tell you with a straight face that no, you're wrong, Tatard has really been quite good, just look at his expected awesomeness percentage share!  How do you not see it?

Because they don't predict the future or potential of players. They never did. 

You have created a strawman that everyone on this board continually will beat to death. 

Everybody on this board was a sour puss for the first two games and shat on anyone who said, "Well the advanced stats are looking good at least" and screamed "Fire Lindy" over them. Nobody who posts here treats them like gospel (and if you can name one person, try), but you can continue to bring up someone who isn't here to defend the position you continually feel you have to sh!t on. 

Edited by RizzMB30

1 minute ago, RizzMB30 said:

You have created a strawman that everyone on this board continually will beat to death. 

Everybody on this board was a sour puss for the first two games and shat on anyone who said, "Well the advanced stats are looking good at least" and screamed "Fire Lindy" over them. Nobody who posts here treats them like gospel, but you can continue to bring up someone who isn't here to defend the position you continually feel you have to sh!t on. 

Lighten up

1 hour ago, RizzMB30 said:

Everybody on this board was a sour puss for the first two games and shat on anyone who said, "Well the advanced stats are looking good at least" and screamed "Fire Lindy" over them. Nobody who posts here treats them like gospel (and if you can name one person, try), but you can continue to bring up someone who isn't here to defend the position you continually feel you have to sh!t on. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Lighten up

Feeling like you continually have to sh!t on something must be uncomfortable. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Feeling like you continually have to sh!t on something must be uncomfortable. 

White Castles (much as I love them) damned near ALWAYS have that effect on me…as in “I’m still five minutes from home and I might not make it…”

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

White Castles (much as I love them) damned near ALWAYS have that effect on me…as in “I’m still five minutes from home and I might not make it…”

I hear that a lot about WC. I rarely eat it but it’s never had that effect on me. 

Last time was a couple of years ago, day before Thanksgiving, I had a closing  for a friend that ran until like 3:30 (office closed at noon, but it was for a friend so I did it, and for free), and I never ate breakfast or lunch. Then I got stuck in massive traffic trying to go home. I was hungry and annoyed. It got to the point where I was going to eat my own foot, but then I passed WC and went through the drive through.

Best meal ever. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I hear that a lot about WC. I rarely eat it but it’s never had that effect on me. 

Last time was a couple of years ago, day before Thanksgiving, I had a closing  for a friend that ran until like 3:30 (office closed at noon, but it was for a friend so I did it, and for free), and I never ate breakfast or lunch. Then I got stuck in massive traffic trying to go home. I was hungry and annoyed. It got to the point where I was going to eat my own foot, but then I passed WC and went through the drive through.

Best meal ever. 

I'm good for WC 4-5 times a year.  Usually at least 3 times, I'm doing a lot of head-to-toe body clenching within a couple of hours...but goddamn when you're in the right mood they really just hit the spot (and make you sh!t the pot).

• Like 1

Severson averaged 22:47 TOI per game over the last four seasons (where he was being asked to do more than he really should, as is often the case with bad teams...flawed players being asked to do too much out of necessity and not really being put in the best position for personal success).  He's down to 18:35 TOI over his last 10 games.

This is a good sign, in that while Seves is still here, other (more sound) players will be getting more minutes.  It means his offensive numbers figure to take a hit (they already have), but he was never really THAT much of an offensive force (not consistently, anyway)...and as we've seen, the offense that he did produce often came with a price.  Feels like Marino will be able to approximate the 30-35 points Seves put up most seasons, but with much better all-around play.

It's not hard to see what's happening...Marino is basically the in-house replacement for Seves...right down to the fact that he's also a right-handed shot.  And unlike Seves, Siegs and Hamilton are getting almost EXACTLY the same TOI that they got last year, which says a lot (Graves has also seen his TOI dip from last year).

Smith only got 8:41 TOI last game...the staff clearly wanted to give him time to adjust/get it going, but looks like his time is literally starting to run out.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Marino’s best season ever was 26 points, so I’m not sure he provides 30-35 every year (maybe he does), but if he provides 25, plays better defense, and doesn’t score 2-3 own goals every season, that is still an upgrade. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Marion’s best season ever was 26 points, so I’m not sure he provides 30-35 every year (maybe he does), but if he provides 25, plays better defense, and doesn’t score 2-3 own goals every season, that is still an upgrade. 

He managed 27.8 points per (wait for it)...82 GP as a Penguin, and the Devils look to be a solid offensive team in the years to come...he's not really far from that now.  But yeah I'm assuming he stays healthy to be able to have a shot at that.  

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Marion’s best season ever was 26 points, so I’m not sure he provides 30-35 every year (maybe he does), but if he provides 25, plays better defense, and doesn’t score 2-3 own goals every season, that is still an upgrade. 

That was in only 56 GP during the shortened season though. I could definitely see him becoming over a .40 PPG player going forward, which is what Severson is for his career. 

44 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He managed 27.8 points per (wait for it)...82 GP as a Penguin, and the Devils look to be a solid offensive team in the years to come...he's not really far from that now.  But yeah I'm assuming he stays healthy to be able to have a shot at that.  

I did not need to wait for it lol.