Your New Jersey Devils Regular Season Thread: 2022-2023 Edition

Crisis

Just now, ajsgolf said:

Not sure if it’s a crazy question and feel free to attack in case it is.

Would you rather the Devils win the cup or US win the World Cup?

I know the US is not a soccer country but hypothetically speaking.

Well I am a member of zero soccer forums, so I will go with the Devils. 

28 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

To be clear, I was definitely not trying to suggest you were being a party pooper by any stretch...I was more pointing out that I wouldn't make too much out of anything that chart might suggest when we're less than a quarter of the way into the season...I consider you more the messenger in sharing this with us, than someone suggesting this can all go to sh!t in a hurry.

One thing that I've learned in sports (over and over again in fact) is that any time that I've tried to predict success and/or struggles based on how "easy" the opponents are...it tends not to go the way I would've expected...the 2022 Mets just reminded me of that yet again.  And out of so many examples, I'll never forget the 1995-96 Devils losing to Senators at HOME 5-2 on the final day of the season (which cost them a playoff berth of course)...after being up 2-1 in that game no less.

Not sure if you are familiar with Mike and the Mad Dog (they were the big afternoon sports show for a while, then eventually split, as they couldn't stand each other behind the scenes...Mad Dog is now doing satellite radio and has been for a while, and Mike mercifully decided to retire as he had become a stammering repetitive out-of-touch bore).  It was funny...say the NY Football Giants started off 5-1.  They'd then run down the rest of the Giants' schedule and then say as though it was a no-brainer:  "That's a Win...Win...Loss...Win...Loss".  And they were wrong CONSTANTLY...comically so (though Mike could never admit being wrong about anything at all).  

Yeah for example that year we made the playoffs.

All odds were stacked against us PLUS in the last stretch we had to go through that western roadtrip with a bunch of stacked teams. And we fvcking burned through it and made the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, ajsgolf said:

Am also a member of zero soccer forums but I do know the World Cup is the biggest sporting event in the world, hence the inquiry.

Well, I guess you received my answer to your inquiry lol. I would find it hard to imagine that most of the people who post here on a frequent basis would pick a World Cup win over a Devils Stanley Cup win. 

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Well, I guess you received my answer to your inquiry lol. I would find it hard to imagine that most of the people who post here on a frequent basis would pick a World Cup win over a Devils Stanley Cup win. 

I’d say you’re probably right but was def curious what the responses would be.

32 minutes ago, ajsgolf said:

It’s definitely a crazy question because I couldn’t give two fvcks about soccer in the least. 

• Thanks 1

I couldn’t care less about a sport that goes on for 90+ minutes, sees way too many games end 1-0 with so many shots missing a massive net by a mile, has a forward-counting (?!) running clock with “extra time” added (instead a of simple clock stoppage when play stops), and has players who act like they’ve been shot whenever someone dares to graze them.  I grew up in a soccer family but I can’t take that sport seriously at all.  It’s a “rest of the world” sport to me.  

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

So between you and I, that is four fvcks lol. 

Here’s two more.

What can we buy for six fvcks?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah for example that year we made the playoffs.

All odds were stacked against us PLUS in the last stretch we had to go through that western roadtrip with a bunch of stacked teams. And we fvcking burned through it and made the playoffs.

Yeah I remember that well...the Devils had basically stumbled through a VERY long stretch (12-17-3), and after losing to Winnipeg at home and acing what felt like an impossible road trip, it was basically "Now how in fvck are they gonna get through THIS?!"  Morale was VERY low around here, and understandably so.   

Then they go 4-2 on the trip, and finish up on a 10-3-1 surge against a LOT of tough teams.

One time that I remember looking at a schedule and thinking "This team might really be screwed later" and seeing that come to fruition was the 2017-18 Rangers, due to a crazy scheduling imbalance...they got off to a 20-13-4 start, but 24 out of their first 37 games were played at home...sure enough, from that point on they went 14-26-5 and didn't come close to making the playoffs.  If I'm a Ranger fan that season, part of me would have to be thinking what the fvck, regarding that schedule...just 17 out of the final 45 games at home?  Ouch.  

1 hour ago, ajsgolf said:

a more interesting question would be...

Would you rather the Devils win the cup or go through 2 years of covid lockdowns again?

Or Would you rather the Devils win the cup or have Trump back as president for 4 years. 

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah I remember that well...the Devils had basically stumbled through a VERY long stretch (12-17-3), and after losing to Winnipeg at home and acing what felt like an impossible road trip, it was basically "Now how in fvck are they gonna get through THIS?!"  Morale was VERY low around here, and understandably so.   

Then they go 4-2 on the trip, and finish up on a 10-3-1 surge against a LOT of tough teams.

One time that I remember looking at a schedule and thinking "This team might really be screwed later" and seeing that come to fruition was the 2017-18 Rangers, due to a crazy scheduling imbalance...they got off to a 20-13-4 start, but 24 out of their first 37 games were played at home...sure enough, from that point on they went 14-26-5 and didn't come close to making the playoffs.  If I'm a Ranger fan that season, part of me would have to be thinking what the fvck, regarding that schedule...just 17 out of the final 45 games at home?  Ouch.  

what i remember the most that season is that in December-January. The usual suspects called every losses. the final nail in the coffin of our playoffs hope. lol

2 hours ago, ajsgolf said:

World Cup, no hesitation. I've seen the Devils win 3 Cups and make it to 5 finals and I legit don't think I'll ever see the US make it to 1 final let alone win the cup in a final. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It’s a “rest of the world” sport to me.  

19 MLS teams have a higher average attendance than our sellout capacity of 16k whatever it is now. 23 out of 28 MLS teams have a higher average attendance of 16k. Nycfc, as much as I hate them, looks to be getting their soccer specific stadium approved that will go somewhere in the parks near citi field / Arthur Ashe. 

The league has grown and grown and grown, it's wild compared to the Giants Stadium days but the league is only getting bigger and bigger and with the world cup being here in 2026 it's probably gonna explode even more. 

I think the MLS passes the NHL in popularity during our lifetimes. 

Just now, Satans Hockey said:

19 MLS teams have a higher average attendance than our sellout capacity of 16k whatever it is now. 23 out of 28 MLS teams have a higher average attendance of 16k. Nycfc, as much as I hate them, looks to be getting their soccer specific stadium approved that will go somewhere in the parks near citi field / Arthur Ashe. 

The league has grown and grown and grown, it's wild compared to the Giants Stadium days but the league is only getting bigger and bigger and with the world cup being here in 2026 it's probably gonna explode even more. 

I think the MLS passes the NHL in popularity during our lifetimes. 

That would not make me watch it. There are already at least two other sports mroe popular than the NHL that I don't watch at all. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

That would not make me watch it. There are already at least two other sports mroe popular than the NHL that I don't watch at all. 

I totally get it, I don't watch the NFL, NBA or MLB at all either. Just was pointing out how much the league has grown that I don't think it can be considered a rest of world sport when so many people here are attending games.

They keep adding more teams, St. Louis is coming in next year with a few more to follow after that with Vegas being a big one too. 

You’ll never see a Stanley Cup win on penalty shots…

But you can sure see a World Cup won on penalty kicks.

Soccer will always be a great kids’ sport here because it doesn’t cost much (in terms of equipment) and is easier to pick and play initially than some other sports.  So it will always have some relevancy.  Still don’t see the pro game blowing up SO much, but I’ll admit, hockey’s not huge, especially when it comes to casual fans…hockey fans are pretty much as all-in as it gets.  And I’ve tried to recruit through the years…for some reason hockey just does not “take” for a lot of people I know.

11 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I totally get it, I don't watch the NFL, NBA or MLB at all either. Just was pointing out how much the league has grown that I don't think it can be considered a rest of world sport when so many people here are attending games.

They keep adding more teams, St. Louis is coming in next year with a few more to follow after that with Vegas being a big one too. 

By “rest of the world”, I mean they’re insanely passionate about it in a way that I don’t think we’ll ever be here.  

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You’ll never see a Stanley Cup win on penalty shots…

But you can sure see a World Cup won on penalty kicks.

Soccer will always be a great kids’ sport here because it doesn’t cost much (in terms of equipment) and is easier to pick and play initially than some other sports.  So it will always have some relevancy.  Still don’t see the pro game blowing up SO much, but I’ll admit, hockey’s not huge, especially when it comes to casual fans…hockey fans are pretty much as all-in as it gets.  And I’ve tried to recruit through the years…for some reason hockey just does not “take” for a lot of people I know.

Can see a gold medal Olympic game won on penalty shots, I'd celebrate that gold just as much. 

Hockey is a horrible sport to watch on TV, even with HD and even more so now with the terrible digital ads on the boards. It's a huge reason I'll never give up my season tickets because it cuts out half the amount of games I have to watch on TV. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

By “rest of the world”, I mean they’re insanely passionate about it in a way that I don’t think we’ll ever be here.  

I think that's gonna change in our lifetimes. I see the MLS passing the MLB and the NHL. The world cup being here in 2026 can help accelerate that. The demographics in the country are already leading towards it happening too. Less kids are playing baseball than soccer and hockey has always been a real niche sport that's expensive for kids to play. 

4 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Can see a gold medal Olympic game won on penalty shots, I'd celebrate that gold just as much. 

Hockey is a horrible sport to watch on TV, even with HD and even more so now with the terrible digital ads on the boards. It's a huge reason I'll never give up my season tickets because it cuts out half the amount of games I have to watch on TV. 

Yeah I’m with ya there, not a fan of those board ads at all.  

14 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah I’m with ya there, not a fan of those board ads at all.  

I don’t like the board ads either, but I disagree about watching on TV. I love watching games on TV, and I have no problem following them. To me, a game like baseball is much more enjoyable when you are actually there. It’s too boring to watch on TV. Not that it’s any more exciting when you’re there, but at least the atmosphere, you just kick back hang out and wash. Like a day in the park.

Do I enjoy going to hockey games more than watching them on TV? Absolutely. But terrible to watch on TV? Definitely not.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don’t like the board ads either, but I disagree about watching on TV. I love watching games on TV, and I have no problem following them. To me, a game like baseball is much more enjoyable when you are actually there. It’s too boring to watch on TV. Not that it’s any more exciting when you’re there, but at least the atmosphere, you just kick back hang out and wash. Like a day in the park.

Do I enjoy going to hockey games more than watching them on TV? Absolutely. But terrible to watch on TV? Definitely not.

I can follow the puck just fine on TV but for casual fans or new people it's certainly understandable how it's hard to track sometimes, especially with how much they love moving the cameras. 

You would think with all these damn streaming options they would give people the option to just choose whatever camera angle they want from a camera that doesn't move all night. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah I know you’re answering both of us but I still love to watch on TV.  I just don’t love the board ads (especially when they’re glitching).  But yeah nothing like watching hockey in person.  It’s SUCH a blast.