Your New Jersey Devils Regular Season Thread: 2022-2023 Edition

Crisis

28 minutes ago, devlman said:

And that’s fine. We have an incredibly fast team. His skating is good enough where he can thrive in a finisher’s role. You find spots for very talented players, unless they’re terrible skaters, which he is not.

He has not shown any of this at the NHL level yet.  Not in games that count.  He’s either looked concerningly slow or just kinda meh.  Guys like Jack, Nico, Bratt…even though all needed to develop, all at least showed signs of promise of what they could become if they put it all together.  I haven’t seen that from Holtz…doesn’t mean it’s not there, just that he hasn’t had those “Wow look at this kid!” moments in regular season games so far.

Of course it’s small samples and he can’t even buy booze yet, but you seem to want to hand him a spot that’s not really based on him having really earned anything.  The fact is we have no idea if he can thrive at this point in his development.  The Devils obviously have their doubts as far as 2022-23 goes…he’d have gotten more than four games and limited minutes otherwise.  And I still don’t have an issue with this…if anything it’s great that the Devils can be patient with him, and not feel like they have to rush him.  

This being said, the Devils selecting him 7OA wasn’t a reach and he did project to go pretty high, so obviously many scouts and prognosticators saw something there.  We’ll see if the Devils can unearth it within the next couple of years, or at least enough of it that they feel comfortable giving him a long look with the big club.  I’d love to see it happen…there’s nothing better than homegrown kids panning out…growing pains and all.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Yeah this. A lot of goal scorers who aren’t great skaters still had successful careers. Eventually he’ll find a way to adapt himself to the league. But we saw in the AHL he had a knack for getting lost and then finding himself open. That’s a good skill to have. 

Long list of guys who can do it in the AHL.

I agree that I’m definitely not ruling him out to find his way in time, but I think he first has to get to that level where he’s just good enough where you say ok, he’s not a finished product and he’s plenty rough around the edges, but at least you see signs of what could be.  Right now he doesn’t even seem to be that yet.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I hate this cause each time these clowns push WAGON shirts, it mushes whatever team they make them for. They never do it for the Bruins or Penguins (or any of the 12 teams Biz claims to be a fan of and backs blindly).

Yes, I am that fan that is superstitious. Not just stitious, but superstitious.

22 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

This being said, the Devils selecting him 7OA wasn’t a reach and he did project to go pretty high, so obviously many scouts and prognosticators saw something there.

I was pretty against the pick at the time, but the guy I wanted (Marco Rossi) has exactly one assist in 18 GP for the Wild so far. So I can’t really knock the Devils for going with the sniper. It made all the sense in the world to want a player like that for Jack and Nico. 

Only time will tell with Holtz, but I do hope to see him completely dominate the AHL for however long he’s down there. If he doesn’t I think there will be at least some level of concern. 

Just now, Nicomo said:

I was pretty against the pick at the time, but the guy I wanted (Marco Rossi) has exactly one assist in 18 GP for the Wild so far. So I can’t really knock the Devils for going with the sniper. It made all the sense in the world to want a player like that for Jack and Nico. 

Only time will tell with Holtz, but I do hope to see him completely dominate the AHL for however long he’s down there. If he doesn’t I think there will be at least some level of concern. 

Yeah I wanted Rossi too…I was disappointed with the Holtz pick at the time.  But of course I want him to succeed.

Said it before but I don’t think it’s about Holtz shredding it in the AHL from a pure points standpoint this year…I think it’s more about his refining his skating and other skills and on-ice awareness.  

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah I wanted Rossi too…I was disappointed with the Holtz pick at the time.  But of course I want him to succeed.

Said it before but I don’t think it’s about Holtz shredding it in the AHL from a pure points standpoint this year…I think it’s more about his refining his skating and other skills and on-ice awareness.  

True. But that stuff is obviously a lot harder to quantify without actually watching him play on a regular basis. I’ll feel better if he’s scoring a whole lot of goals down there though. 

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That’s most likely what he’ll be working on this time down there, but i still don’t see why he couldn’t have had a few games in place of Boqvist.

Speaking of, I have no idea why that guy has been given 4 years. I remember people talking about what a steal he was in the second round. 

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

That’s most likely what he’ll be working on this time down there, but i still don’t see why he couldn’t have had a few games in place of Boqvist.

Speaking of, I have no idea why that guy has been given 4 years. I remember people talking about what a steal he was in the second round. 

Every once in a while, Boqvist has a run of 4-5 games where you think he is finally going to turn a corner, but he never does. 

RFA after this season, will be interested to see what happens. 

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:

Short answer is I think the Devils’ staff felt that Bo is the better NHL player at this time.

That being said, don’t see him having a long-term future here.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He has not shown any of this at the NHL level yet.  Not in games that count.  He’s either looked concerningly slow or just kinda meh.  Guys like Jack, Nico, Bratt…even though all needed to develop, all at least showed signs of promise of what they could become if they put it all together.  I haven’t seen that from Holtz…doesn’t mean it’s not there, just that he hasn’t had those “Wow look at this kid!” moments in regular season games so far.

Of course it’s small samples and he can’t even buy booze yet, but you seem to want to hand him a spot that’s not really based on him having really earned anything.  The fact is we have no idea if he can thrive at this point in his development.  The Devils obviously have their doubts as far as 2022-23 goes…he’d have gotten more than four games and limited minutes otherwise.  And I still don’t have an issue with this…if anything it’s great that the Devils can be patient with him, and not feel like they have to rush him.  

This being said, the Devils selecting him 7OA wasn’t a reach and he did project to go pretty high, so obviously many scouts and prognosticators saw something there.  We’ll see if the Devils can unearth it within the next couple of years, or at least enough of it that they feel comfortable giving him a long look with the big club.  I’d love to see it happen…there’s nothing better than homegrown kids panning out…growing pains and all.

He’s played in 2 games lol - games no Devil looked good in. And I didn’t think he looked slow at all either.

1 hour ago, devlman said:

He’s played in 2 games lol - games no Devil looked good in. And I didn’t think he looked slow at all either.

He’s played in 4 games this season. That’s how unremarkable he looked, you didn’t even notice him in the other 2. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, jagknife said:

I hate this cause each time these clowns push WAGON shirts, it mushes whatever team they make them for. They never do it for the Bruins or Penguins (or any of the 12 teams Biz claims to be a fan of and backs blindly).

image.thumb.gif.f65bc37acc6d73fbe4cd8321f9204564.gif

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, jagknife said:

I also don’t like that Biz was crapping on the Devils for the first few weeks and the beginning of the win streak but now they jump on the bandwagon and profit off of it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Nice, let’s get this deal set 

If you don’t know what that means, it stands for “Jesper Bratt Is The Best Player In The NHL.” The acronym was created by a faction of Devils fans called “The Bratt Pack,” who are of course fans of Devils forward Jesper Bratt. The faction appears to grow larger in numbers by the day and would surely like to see its favorite player sign a long-term extension in New Jersey.

Fitzgerald indicated on Tuesday that he’d like the same and contract extension talks have indeed picked up as recently as Monday night after the Devils' victory over the Oilers.

“Discussions conveniently have started,” Fitzgerald explained. “You know, with a hello to his agent, actually it was (Monday) night we sat together just to go through some things and what we’ll get going. I just don’t want this to be a distraction to the player. You know, as we go along, we know how we feel about him. And we want to tie him up long-term. We hope the feeling’s mutual.”

Fitzgerald didn’t beat around the bush when stating he wants to keep Bratt around long-term. Last summer, the Devils’ GM made multiple attempts with different structured deals that would have kept Bratt in New Jersey on an eight-year extension. However, dollars and cents were the sticking point as the two sides couldn’t agree on a long-term AAV and ultimately settled on a one-year deal.

Now, Bratt is the Devils’ leading scorer with 24 points (eight goals, 16 assists) in 19 games and is proving to be among the NHL’s elite forwards. Yet, the Devils’ GM didn’t hesitate to stress the fact that Bratt isn’t the only Devil player who will be making their way to free agency and he won’t be bullied into paying a price he’s not comfortable with.

“Look at the Boston Bruins. They’re a championship-caliber team because there’s enough depth and there’s enough money to go around to build a championship team,” Fitzgerald explained. “And that’s how I want to build our team, so there’s gotta be a will and a want to stay here and play, and understand, and I said this to his agent, ‘Jesper isn’t the only person without a contract. He’s not the only important person without one. We’ve got a lot of important people that don’t have contracts next year.’ It’s figuring out who we want to move forward with. What are they going to reprice at? There’s only so much money to go around for everybody. But Jesper is a huge part of where we are at where we want to go.”

Fitzgerald talks Hischier’s evolution, Bratt next contract — The Fourth Period

The guess here is that Fitz really doesn't want to go TOO too high here...I'm guessing he'd love for Bratt to sign in the $8 - 8.5 million range for 7+ years, with the message being "You're STILL getting a fvck-ton of money (probably more in AAV than Jack and Nico), and I still get some flexibility to keep paying up to keep talent around you."  If Bratt is insisting on $10+ million AAV I can see this becoming difficult.  

It's the 2026-27 season that could see the Devils having to make some painful decisions...that's when L Hughes and Nemec could potentially up for big raises.  But that's a long way off...the good news the Devils should have a good idea what they'll be paying their defensemen...three are locked up and two more will be coming in on three-year ELCs, so we know what they'll be making as well.  It's a question of does Graves get re-signed, and if so, for how much?

But yeah we've been over it...busy offseason coming for Fitz...exactly four forwards currently on the roster are signed for next year.  I suspect Bastian, McLeod, and Zetterlund will be back.  I'd be surprised if Sharangovich isn't...I'd be surprised if Tatar is, even though he's been a pleasant surprise so far.  With Wood, it depends if someone else is willing to overpay him in UFA.

It's obviously not like the money won't be there for Bratt at least.  Just depends on how much Fitz is willing to spend on him.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Without quoting all of the above, I would agree that Fitz’s idea is somewhere along the lines of what Jack and Nico got, and Jesper wants the moon and the stars. Hopefully they can meet somewhere between. 

They probably settle around $9 - 9.5 million AAV.  I suspect Fitz does it grudgingly, but once it’s done, it’s done.

45 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Without quoting all of the above, I would agree that Fitz’s idea is somewhere along the lines of what Jack and Nico got, and Jesper wants the moon and the stars. Hopefully they can meet somewhere between. 

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

They probably settle around $9 - 9.5 million AAV.  I suspect Fitz does it grudgingly, but once it’s done, it’s done.

I'm kind of worried specifically because of that fvcking agent who's been a pain in the ass since day one. Even while Bratt didn't have much leverage. And now he has a LOT of leverage so i can only imagine how greedy he's gonna be now and not sure how much he's influencing Bratt. Hopefully Bratt loves it enough here and he's not insanely greedy to the point of wanting like 10+

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

I'm kind of worried specifically because of that fvcking agent who's been a pain in the ass since day one. Even while Bratt didn't have much leverage. And now he has a LOT of leverage so i can only imagine how greedy he's gonna be now and not sure how much he's influencing Bratt. Hopefully Bratt loves it enough here and he's not insanely greedy to the point of wanting like 10+

I don't know why the narrative is that its all the agent's fault. I have to assume Bratt is on board with his plans. 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don't know why the narrative is that its all the agent's fault. I have to assume Bratt is on board with his plans. 

Well because he has a reputation and we've seen it happening. It's usually the agent

Same as Don Meehan. So many of his clients held out, missed games and training camp. 

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well because he has a reputation and we've seen it happening. It's usually the agent

Same as Don Meehan. So many of his clients held out, missed games and training camp. 

But how could you ever know that? How could we ever know if Jesper is being influenced by the agent, or if he is saying "hell yeah, that's what I hired this nasty motherfvcker for, get me every penny"?