Your New Jersey Devils Regular Season Thread: 2022-2023 Edition

Crisis

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I guess he’s ready. If they send Schmid down, it’s truly a crime with how well he’s played. 

It's a perfect storm, really.

Team is struggling, Blackwood looked so-so at best in Utica (granted they're dogsh!t).. I hope they give him an away game so the fans can't get on him if it goes poorly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

No, agree that it's completely unrealistic to expect the team to not regress and slump a bit.  However, 2-4-2 in December and 5 in a row is more than enough to cause concern, imo, especially considering they could very realistically not win another game in December based on the schedule.  

Perhaps I'm being glass-half-empty, but even with that ridiculous streak the Devils are 4 points out of being a wildcard team thanks to this ridiculous division.  This recent ass play has pretty much completely evaporated whatever cushion they built at the start of the year:

To the bolded - you'll have to forgive me for pushing the panic button but this team has been a perennial loser for a Decade.  I'm not convinced they have what it takes organizationally to stop the bleeding.  2 wins in the next 5 and we're probably behind the Penguins in the standings and things are starting to look really bleak. 

At least they built up the cushion to begin with.  And they were just absurd in November.

re:  the bolded, it's not really the same team.  The goaltending should be at least league average, which was the whole point of bringing VV aboard...yeah, was great when he was playing like a Vezina winner for a while (and he'll probably have a couple more hot streaks), but he wasn't brought in to be a superstar, and certainly isn't being paid as such...he was brought in to stabilize, and he's largely done that.  Schmid is emerging as a solid option if Blackwood isn't getting the job done.  I bring up the goaltending situation because that was SUCH a major issue last season...it should remain much less of one this season.

What we REALLY need to see happen soon is for the secondary scoring to come back to life...if it doesn't, I do expect Fitz to do something to try to address it.  I'm not worried about Bratt and Nico, though I've barely noticed Bratt much at all lately.  But Bratt's just one of those guys who when he's slumping, he just kinda disappears for a while...then out of nowhere comes roaring back.       

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm not worried about Bratt and Nico, though I've barely noticed Bratt much at all lately.  But Bratt's just one of those guys who when he's slumping, he just kinda disappears for a while...then out of nowhere comes roaring back.       

Yeah, the Bratt thing is very frustrating.  All players are streaky, but he's proven that this is "who he is".  When he's on, he's electric.  But when he's off, he's barely even an impact player out there.

This is what terrifies me about the prospect of giving him 8x8.  Can't have essentially 8M of dead cap space dedicated to Bratt when he's a non-factor for half the year.

10 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Yeah, the Bratt thing is very frustrating.  All players are streaky, but he's proven that this is "who he is".  When he's on, he's electric.  But when he's off, he's barely even an impact player out there.

This is what terrifies me about the prospect of giving him 8x8.  Can't have essentially 8M of dead cap space dedicated to Bratt when he's a non-factor for half the year.

He's been about a PPG player on what's coming up on a season and a half's worth of play.  That's pretty good.  He definitely does not vanish for weeks on end anymore like he once did, but yeah, big difference between being a guy who could potentially flirt with 100 points vs a guy who's notching 75-80.  There's still SO much season to go so not like we can really make any declarations either way, but the whole "Give him whatever he wants!" talk from earlier this season is definitely on hold for now.

If I have any concerns about him, it's what kind of a playoff performer is he going to be?  He seems like he could be the kind of guy who disappears in the NHL's second season, but not like I have much to base that on.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

4 games without a point and now it’s “non-factor for half the year” c’mon man lol. Bratt will be fine. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

4 games without a point and now it’s “non-factor for half the year” c’mon man lol. Bratt will be fine. 

Just below PPG on the season, I am not sure how much more I would ask of him. He did come out guns blazing to start the season, and sure, he has colled off during our 5 game losing streak, which is kind of how that works. 

27 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Wonder if they could find a taker for Blackwood and get something of value in return.

I’d hold on to Blackwood for now. Vanecek has been coming down to earth recently. It’s best to let Blackwood build up some value before trading him anyway, and let Schmid and Daws split time in Utica. We now know Schmid has the potential to at least be a back up next year. 

And I’m sure we haven’t seen the last of Schmid this year anyway. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Someone posted this over on the subreddit and I thought it was cool.

A short Texas news story about Jack's mom from 1981. You can tell she skates better than everyone else already at that age.

https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc1176047/m1/

Holy sh!t I never realized how much Jack looks like his mom 🤣