Your New Jersey Devils Regular Season Thread: 2022-2023 Edition

Crisis

3 minutes ago, Bonginator11 said:

https://www.nj.com/devils/2022/12/devils-notebook-nikita-okhotiuks-mindset-before-bruins-game-john-marino-ryan-graves-ondrej-palat-injury-updates-more.html?outputType=amp

“(Graves) will be further evaluated,” Ruff said. “He’s going to be out tonight, he’ll see doctors tonight, lower body injury. So, in the short term, he’s out.

“Marino will be, he’s a little bit longer. He’s going to be week to week. He has an upper body injury that we’ll look at in that type of timeframe.”

fvck this vague injury info. Teams should be required to be more forthcoming with this sh!t. 

17 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

fvck this vague injury info. Teams should be required to be more forthcoming with this sh!t. 

I would literally have two injury reports if I was in charge:

Lower body: his balls are purple and swollen

Upper body: thankfully, it’s not his balls. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Selfishly I want to know it all

realistically, I don’t want a fvckboi like Tackyuk (yes, I got his name wrong and I won’t try to learn it) or Reaves or Doucheba hunting the specific injury 

Edited by jagknife
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2022 at 3:33 PM, MadDog2020 said:

a fair question would be "why though?"

i mean... im curious and would love to know... but i don't.... "need" to know. So im just not sure why it should be required.

8 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

a fair question would be "why though?"

i mean... im curious and would love to know... but i don't.... "need" to know. So im just not sure why it should be required.

Gambling, for one. The NFL requires a weekly injury report for every game. There are no secrets. 

• Like 1

Gambling, for one. The NFL requires a weekly injury report for every game. There are no secrets. 

I’m guessing not enough people bet on the NHL (yet) to make this a league concern that would require implementation of such a policy. Football, on the other hand, has a significant number of people who watch because they have a stake in the outcome rather than because they are fans of the teams playing. 

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m guessing not enough people bet on the NHL (yet) to make this a league concern that would require implementation of such a policy. Football, on the other hand, has a significant number of people who watch because they have a stake in the outcome rather than because they are fans of the teams playing. 

I agree, but don’t push gambling at every turn and then bullsh!t me on injuries. 

21 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

Yeah so do but I wonder how long before puck drop

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

That I’m not sure of.

I believe it’s the end of warmups. And if a player is dressed that isn’t on the lineup, they’re off the roster and the player who should have been in is not able to play. I don’t remember what team it happened to but I feel like it’s happened recently (last few years or so)

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I believe it’s the end of warmups. And if a player is dressed that isn’t on the lineup, they’re off the roster and the player who should have been in is not able to play. I don’t remember what team it happened to but I feel like it’s happened recently (last few years or so)

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2020/01/14/minnesota-wild-bruce-boudreau-lineup-mistake/

I agree, but don’t push gambling at every turn and then bullsh!t me on injuries. 

this is 100% my response. don’t advertise all of your different gambling affiliates and then call a broken leg “lower body discomfort”. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, jagknife said:

It happened to the Devils a long time ago, like late 90s. They put the wrong player on an official lineup sheet and the player that was actually dressed couldn’t play. It was a defenseman but I can’t remember who now. 

10 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

so im legit asking. How would it change gambling? 

Don't people bet "on the day" usually? If so, you generally know if a player will play or not on the day. And would people really gamble differently depending on if Palat plays or not?

im not trying to argue or troll but i just don't see how it's truly impacting much or the very least... compensate for coaches and GM not wanting other teams to know exactly what other players are dealing with. GMs and coaches are running a team to win, they don't care about anything else.

Edited by SterioDesign

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Don't people bet "on the day" usually? If so, you generally know if a player will play or not on the day. And would people really gamble differently depending on if Palat plays or not?

im not trying to argue or troll but i just don't see how it's truly impacting much or the very least... compensate for coaches and GM not wanting other teams to know exactly what other players are dealing with. GMs and coaches are running a team to win, they don't care about anything else.

Maybe not Palat, but if you were considering whether or not to place a bet on the Devils, wouldn’t you be interested in knowing whether Jack Hughes was playing? how about Hughes, Hischier and Hamilton? If all 3 of those guys were out, would you have the same level of confidence that the Devils would win/cover? 

Granted, football is a more gambled upon sport, and the games are further in between, but I am sure those placing bets are interested in whether that teams QB1 is healthy. 

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Maybe not Palat, but if you were considering whether or not to place a bet on the Devils, wouldn’t you be interested in knowing whether Jack Hughes was playing? how about Hughes, Hischier and Hamilton? If all 3 of those guys were out, would you have the same level of confidence that the Devils would win/cover? 

Granted, football is a more gambled upon sport, and the games are further in between, but I am sure those placing bets are interested in whether that teams QB1 is healthy. 

Well.... that simply doesn't happen doesn't it? lol

We know when players are out and when they are in, no?

I mean.... any game we knew Jack, Nico or Hamilton were not playing... we knew way ahead, weeks or days before and on the day of the game that they were injured and not playing... right? And if anything... a player miiiiight be a game day decision and it will depends on if he's comfortable during warmups... so the team and the player doesn't even know themselves until right before the game.

Edited by SterioDesign

13 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

If everyone- meaning all 32 teams- were required to report injuries, it means everyone is on equal footing. Everyone knows what everyone is dealing with. It’s an equalizer. And in a culture where betting is literally in your face at all times at this point, requiring all teams to report and be honest about injury information isn’t too much to ask. In football, there is no UBI, LBI, day-to-day, week-to-week bullsh!t where the player ends up missing five fvcking months. You know what the injury is and generally how long the player would be out. And the NFL mandates it. I’d love the NHL to do the same. 

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well.... that simply doesn't happen doesn't it? lol

We know when players are out and when they are in, no?

I mean.... any game we knew Jack, Nico or Hamilton were not playing... we knew way ahead, weeks or days before and on the day of the game that they were injured and not playing... right? And if anything... a player miiiiight be a game day decision and it will depends on if he's comfortable during warmups... so the team and the player doesn't even know themselves until right before the game.

Well I think that’s what we’re talking about. If there was transparency about injuries, it would be easier to know. Sure, we know Marino is out right now. Could he be back next game or next week? He could.

Again, I’m not sure it translates directly to hockey but if that were Hughes instead of Marino, people might not want to bet. If they said “Hughes will not play tomorrow but he’ll be back on Tuesday”, people might place a bunch of bets for Tuesday. 

And people not betting is a HUGE problem for the gambling industry, which for some stupid reason, now provides the team with revenue through advertising. I still think that should not be allowed, personally. 

• Like 1