Jump to content

Your New Jersey Devils Regular Season Thread: 2022-2023 Edition


Crisis

Recommended Posts

Jack also hates the shootout: 

Most players don’t want to see exciting contests end with such a boring result. If you ask Hughes, he thinks having a 10-minute, three-on-three overtime would allow players to show off their skills and as a result, spike league popularity.

 
 

“As a player, three-on-three is so fun,” Hughes said. “It kind of sucks when you go into a shootout, it’s like, ‘ugh.’ You’re missing out on really cool plays and more opportunities for players to show their games.”    https://www.nj.com/devils/2023/02/devils-jack-hughes-wants-nhl-to-change-regular-season-ot-rules-it-kind-of-sucks-when-you-go-into-a-shootout.html

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/10/2023 at 9:47 PM, devlman said:

Am I the only one hoping we avoid the Rags in the playoffs? Not only are they dangerous but I want to see all red in our barn for our first playoff game in years.

Though I’ll never forget the awesome job our fans did with the red-out in 2012 against them. Very few rag fans were able to get tix.

But for a first round game during a season we haven’t had the season ticket spike yet for being a good team (should see that moreso next season), I’m afraid there’ll be plenty of first round tix to be had.

Always a double-edged sword.  Nothing better than beating them and knocking them out.  Nothing worse than losing to them.

Sure does feel like they’re on a collision course.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/10/2023 at 9:47 PM, devlman said:

Am I the only one hoping we avoid the Rags in the playoffs? Not only are they dangerous but I want to see all red in our barn for our first playoff game in years.

Though I’ll never forget the awesome job our fans did with the red-out in 2012 against them. Very few rag fans were able to get tix.

But for a first round game during a season we haven’t had the season ticket spike yet for being a good team (should see that moreso next season), I’m afraid there’ll be plenty of first round tix to be had.

The biggest difference there was they knocked out the Flyers in 5 and the Rangers went 7 with the Caps so our fans had like 4 days in advance to buy all the conference tickets. Rangers fans would have had to gamble and buy them and hope they beat the Caps.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Always a double-edged sword.  Nothing better than beating them and knocking them out.  Nothing worse than losing to them.

Sure does feel like they’re on a collision course.  

I keep seeing people saying that but it's really still too early to me. One bad week by any of us, Carolina or the Rangers and the standings can easily be shaken up. We are only 3 back of Carolina and the Rangers 3 back of us. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/10/2023 at 9:47 PM, devlman said:

Am I the only one hoping we avoid the Rags in the playoffs? Not only are they dangerous but I want to see all red in our barn for our first playoff game in years.

Though I’ll never forget the awesome job our fans did with the red-out in 2012 against them. Very few rag fans were able to get tix.

But for a first round game during a season we haven’t had the season ticket spike yet for being a good team (should see that moreso next season), I’m afraid there’ll be plenty of first round tix to be had.

I hate the Rangers and their fans.  That said, I’d rather they play the Bruins or Carolina.  The Rangers are built to play a fast, bruising game.  If they land Timo and a hard hitting bottom 6 forward, I would feel a lot better playing the Rangers.

fvcking Rangers!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Bonginator11 said:

Jack joined the team at the end of practice so hopefully he’s close

I thought he'd be back in 2 games but with the next one against CBJ they might just make it 3 tk be safe. Hopefully they don't screw the pooch against a bad CBJ team. They beat TOR recently, so if you don't take them seriously they can burn you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Puckbuster said:

I hate the Rangers and their fans.  That said, I’d rather they play the Bruins or Carolina.  The Rangers are built to play a fast, bruising game.  If they land Timo and a hard hitting bottom 6 forward, I would feel a lot better playing the Rangers.

fvcking Rangers!

With them adding Tarasenko, I think they are done. 

My personal opinion. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Need Nico to step up here and carry the load while Jack works to get back in the lineup.

1 pt in the last 5 games doesn't cut it.  Can't afford to give up more ground to the Rangers.

Nico had 17 points in the prior 14 games before this little dip.  He's also having a career-year to date.  Players on the Devils not named Jack Hughes are going to go into funks here and there.

Devils are 11-2-3 in their last 16 GP (since 1/1/23)...Rangers are 12-2-2 in their last 16, and the Devils beat them head-to-head in the one game where they played each other over that stretch (they did surrender a loser point, but they also came back from being down 3-1).  Devils haven't been giving up ground...they're basically playing a hot Rangers team to a stalemate.  

Not singling you out specifically (even though I'm replying to your post), but sometimes I really don't know what standard this team is being held to.  I do think they will need to start playing better to keeping racking up points the way that they've been, but sometimes it feels like players are barely allowed to slump and the team shouldn't ever lose.  The Devils had a stretch where they lost 2 games in regulation out of 24 games and have currently lost 2 games in regulation out of 17 games.  They have the 3rd-highest point% in the entire NHL (and the 3rd-fewest regulation losses), and at the moment are without the guy who's clearly their very best player...and they've managed to bank 3 out of 4 points in those two missed games.  Maybe we can cut these guys a little slack?  Or acknowledge that even with the uneven play as of late, they've still done a hell of a job overall thus far to be in the position they're in?   

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Nico had 17 points in the prior 14 games before this little dip.  He's also having a career-year to date.  Players on the Devils not named Jack Hughes are going to go into funks here and there.

Devils are 11-2-3 in their last 16 GP (since 1/1/23)...Rangers are 12-2-2 in their last 16, and the Devils beat them head-to-head in the one game where they played each other over that stretch (they did surrender a loser point, but they also came back from being down 3-1).  Devils haven't been giving up ground...they're basically playing a hot Rangers team to a stalemate.  

Not singling you out specifically (even though I'm replying to your post), but sometimes I really don't know what standard this team is being held to.  I do think they will need to start playing better to keeping racking up points the way that they've been, but sometimes it feels like players are barely allowed to slump and the team shouldn't ever lose.  The Devils had a stretch where they lost 2 games in regulation out of 24 games and have currently lost 2 games in regulation out of 17 games.  They have the 3rd-highest point% in the entire NHL (and the 3rd-fewest regulation losses), and at the moment are without the guy who's clearly their very best player...and they've managed to bank 3 out of 4 points in those two missed games.  Maybe we can cut these guys a little slack?  Or acknowledge that even with the uneven play as of late, they've still done a hell of a job overall thus far to be in the position they're in?   

 

I said at the beginning of December before our multi-loss skid that we could afford to lose 10 games in a row and still be in good shape. Luckily it wasn't as bad as 10 losses in a row (although it came close), and we're still one of the top 3 teams in the entire league. I think we need to take a step back and just appreciate the high compete level this team has been playing at. I think we all know the reaction here to the last loss was actually pretty subdued due to the fact that the few hot-heads got the DM banhammer and were unable to dump their venom on whichever whipping boy they picked for the night. It's pretty different. Refreshing, but different. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Need Nico to step up here and carry the load while Jack works to get back in the lineup.

1 pt in the last 5 games doesn't cut it.  Can't afford to give up more ground to the Rangers.

I want him to look like he’s attacking with confidence. He’s been staying on the perimeter in the offensive zone, not trying to create other than a pass back to the blue line. We need more of this Nico who says I’m gonna keep the puck and drive the net and play down low:

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Nico had 17 points in the prior 14 games before this little dip.  He's also having a career-year to date.  Players on the Devils not named Jack Hughes are going to go into funks here and there.

Devils are 11-2-3 in their last 16 GP (since 1/1/23)...Rangers are 12-2-2 in their last 16, and the Devils beat them head-to-head in the one game where they played each other over that stretch (they did surrender a loser point, but they also came back from being down 3-1).  Devils haven't been giving up ground...they're basically playing a hot Rangers team to a stalemate.  

Not singling you out specifically (even though I'm replying to your post), but sometimes I really don't know what standard this team is being held to.  I do think they will need to start playing better to keeping racking up points the way that they've been, but sometimes it feels like players are barely allowed to slump and the team shouldn't ever lose.  The Devils had a stretch where they lost 2 games in regulation out of 24 games and have currently lost 2 games in regulation out of 17 games.  They have the 3rd-highest point% in the entire NHL (and the 3rd-fewest regulation losses), and at the moment are without the guy who's clearly their very best player...and they've managed to bank 3 out of 4 points in those two missed games.  Maybe we can cut these guys a little slack?  Or acknowledge that even with the uneven play as of late, they've still done a hell of a job overall thus far to be in the position they're in?   

 

Slumping is fine. No one is calling for his head. The team however has not been playing well for over a month, our best player is out, so it’s totally fair to expect Nico to snap out of it soon.

And not every non-fanboy post has to be prefaced with ‘we have been great this season but….’

Edited by devlman
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah I'm certainly not calling for the guy's head, but with our best player out we need guys to step up.  Yes, would love more depth scoring but you expect your best guys to produce.

Nico's gotta step up and take over a game.  Columbus is hot garbage - tonight would be a good time to put the team on his back.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I said at the beginning of December before our multi-loss skid that we could afford to lose 10 games in a row and still be in good shape. Luckily it wasn't as bad as 10 losses in a row (although it came close), and we're still one of the top 3 teams in the entire league. I think we need to take a step back and just appreciate the high compete level this team has been playing at. I think we all know the reaction here to the last loss was actually pretty subdued due to the fact that the few hot-heads got the DM banhammer and were unable to dump their venom on whichever whipping boy they picked for the night. It's pretty different. Refreshing, but different. 

In fairness to the banned, there was really only one guy in particular who would find different whipping boys to lay into...Nico was a common target, often unfairly so.  But then he'd called out on it, then insults, then his main nemesis would get involved, and then here comes 3-5 pages of the same two guys trading insults and other barbs (because they never took it to PM).   

The team does try just about every night, even on nights where I could've understood it if they went into "We're just spent, don't have it in us to fight tonight" mode.  And they have enough talent to find ways to win games even on nights where they're clearly getting outplayed...and it seems like the current formula is for VV (and to a lesser extent, Blackwood) to be beastly and then hope Jack/Nico/Dougie/Bratt do their thing.  Right now it's working.  For how much longer I'm not sure...but all of this winning keeps buying them extra time to improve their overall game.  Outside of the opening pair of losses and that 1-7-1 funk, they've done an insane amount of winning...sometimes in spite of themselves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Devilsfan118 said:

Yeah I'm certainly not calling for the guy's head, but with our best player out we need guys to step up.  Yes, would love more depth scoring but you expect your best guys to produce.

Nico's gotta step up and take over a game.  Columbus is hot garbage - tonight would be a good time to put the team on his back.

Would be nice to see Nico have a big game, no arguments there.  I was happy for him when he got the assist on Marino's ENG, just to see him notch a point.  I think it gets tougher for him without Jack in the lineup...easier for teams to key on him more.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

It’s beyond nice to not deal with this sh!t anymore.

Generally much more civil and efficient debate and far less thread-clogging.  Also nice to be able to discuss Lou’s Islander tenure and moves without it turning into another diatribe about his MO or his rougher years with the Devils.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.