Jump to content

Your New Jersey Devils Regular Season Thread: 2022-2023 Edition


Crisis

Recommended Posts

The Devils are above average to elite with fewest HDSA, MDSA and LDSA, but rank at the bottom half with HDSV%, MDSV% and LDSV%.  We all like to criticize the D for blown coverage here and there, a bad pass or even puck watching.  Ultimately, that is how just about every goal is scored.  If the Devils want to win more games during regulation or make a deep run in the playoffs, they will need more consistent goaltending.  The numbers tell the story.  Yes, VV better than what the Devils had in years and Akira is a nice surprise.  They are good, but may not be good enough come playoff time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Puckbuster said:

The Devils are above average to elite with fewest HDSA, MDSA and LDSA, but rank at the bottom half with HDSV%, MDSV% and LDSV%.  We all like to criticize the D for blown coverage here and there, a bad pass or even puck watching.  Ultimately, that is how just about every goal is scored.  If the Devils want to win more games during regulation or make a deep run in the playoffs, they will need more consistent goaltending.  The numbers tell the story.  Yes, VV better than what the Devils had in years and Akira is a nice surprise.  They are good, but may not be good enough come playoff time.

Mac’s numbers are dragging the Devils’ body of work down.

We’ve been over VV’s numbers…most of the time (about 75% of his games) he’s been really really good.  The other 25% it’s been a different story.

I wouldn’t make a huge deal out of the “bottom half” stuff.  I don’t know if VV and/or Schmid can be the guys to take them to the promised land but considering how the goaltending has been in recent seasons, I’m not gonna look for reasons to start knocking them. At the very least, I’d like to see how they perform in the playoffs before making it sound like they might be a problem. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

 

Teeny sample in the grand scheme, but MAN would it be great if the Devils could finally develop a goalie from within.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Mac’s numbers are dragging the Devils’ body of work down.

We’ve been over VV’s numbers…most of the time (about 75% of his games) he’s been really really good.  The other 25% it’s been a different story.

I wouldn’t make a huge deal out of the “bottom half” stuff.  I don’t know if VV and/or Schmid can be the guys to take them to the promised land but considering how the goaltending has been in recent seasons, I’m not gonna look for reasons to start knocking them. At the very least, I’d like to see how they perform in the playoffs before making it sound like they might be a problem. 

Well ok then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Puckbuster said:

Well ok then.

Just presenting another point of view, and supporting that viewpoint with some facts.  Your post wasn’t really telling the whole story.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/10/2023 at 7:38 PM, SeanMac16 said:

lol at ESPN with me they swapped timo and Curtis's photos and according to them, devils legend Scott Harrington is still on the roster.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/team/roster/_/name/nj/new-jersey-devils

To be fair, ESPN has a dedicated team of monkeys that work very very hard in their NHL/hockey news department. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Jack is back in the top 10 for goals now with 37. And that’s with him playing between 2-5 less games than everyone else in the top 10. 

He has 12 points over his last 12 games…and it feels like he’s in some major slump, heh heh.  Shows how much he’s raised the bar in a VERY short timeframe.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Think the Canes had a sh!tty weekend?  They entered it up four points on Devils. They leave it behind having been outscored 7-0 combined in their two weekend matchups and have seen their lead finally evaporate.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Just presenting another point of view, and supporting that viewpoint with some facts.  Your post wasn’t really telling the whole story.  

Well, I did say the goaltending has been good.  If VV being good 75% of his outings is the whole story, then what could I say.  My view point is that a lot of comments are made about the Devils D and I offered another view point that they are better than many give them credit for.  I was not trying to say the goaltending is bad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Think the Canes had a sh!tty weekend?  They entered it up four points on Devils. They leave it behind having been outscored 7-0 combined in their two weekend matchups and have seen their lead finally evaporate.  

They have a top notch defense, and are extremely well coached, but I just don’t know if they have the horses offensively compared to the Bruins and Devils. Aho and Svechnikov are both great, but after that? It really stood out to me tonight when I saw they had Stefan Noesen of all people on the 1st PP unit. Granted - Svechnikov was out, but still. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Puckbuster said:

Well, I did say the goaltending has been good.  If VV being good 75% of his outings is the whole story, then what could I say.  My view point is that a lot of comments are made about the Devils D and I offered another view point that they are better than many give them credit for.  I was not trying to say the goaltending is bad.

The D does give up a lot of wide open, prime opportunities…VV has bailed them out a lot.  Never said that VV being good 75% of the time was the whole story, but leaving out Blackwood’s detrimental effect on the Devils’ overall goaltending numbers is leaving out a key piece.  I really hope Schmid can continue to establish himself as a reliable backup (or even a 1B), because Mac’s time really should be done here.

VV and Schmid really seem like they could form a solid tandem…really hoping Schmid can keep looking like he’s legit.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The D does give up a lot of wide open, prime opportunities…VV has bailed them out a lot.  Never said that VV being good 75% of the time was the whole story, but leaving out Blackwood’s detrimental effect on the Devils’ overall goaltending numbers is leaving out a key piece.  I really hope Schmid can continue to establish himself as a reliable backup (or even a 1B), because Mac’s time really should be done here.

VV and Schmid really seem like they could form a solid tandem…really hoping Schmid can keep looking like he’s legit.

I should have stated that I looked up the advanced metrics beginning Feb. 1.  MB played his last three games in Feb.  Feb 9 .971% and 34 saves, then Feb. 16 .887 and 31 saves, finally Feb. 19 .920 with 23 saves. So he wasn’t a drag as of Feb. 1.  Also, I didn’t present the actual numbers, because they are easy to find on Moneypuck or Natural Stat Trick.  However, it is fact that the Devils do not allow a lot of shots, especially, High Danger shots where they rank 5th.

That said, Akira Schmid is a great surprise and I finally feel comfortable with the tandem.  I had tempered expectations when VV joined the team, but he is doing what he was acquired to do and at a great value. However, I do want to give credit to the D.  I think it’s been great and I don’t think they get the credit they deserve.  So, if the D is criticized, even in a shutout, then it’s only fair to question the goalie situation.

Thank you for the responses.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bonginator11 said:

About this, I expect that the prices will drop as the playoff dates become more finalized.  I can't imagine that too many fans will be willing to pay THAT much for first-round playoff seats...you've got some STH simply deciding to see if anyone is loony enough to bite on these initial insane prices.

But if that's what it ever costs to go to playoff games, count me out.  That's just fvcking nuts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

About this, I expect that the prices will drop as the playoff dates become more finalized.  I can't imagine that too many fans will be willing to pay THAT much for first-round playoff seats...you've got some STH simply deciding to see if anyone is loony enough to bite on these initial insane prices.

But if that's what it ever costs to go to playoff games, count me out.  That's just fvcking nuts.

Yea I expect prices to fall a bit too. But even if it’s 50% of that low end cost for the first round imagine how expensive Stanley Cup seats would be?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.