Jump to content

GDT: Jack & the Boys @ Torts' Trash - 7pm (eastern)


jagknife

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I want him to be 100% but at the ame time... God fvcking damn it to hell can we not just get to see all our best players on the ice at once? How many games have Hischier, Hughes, Hamilton, and Blackwood played together?

It feels like I can count them on one hand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

Actually they are projected to be competitive.  However, the analysts are not buying it.  Most analysts say they should compete for a playoff spot, but we will ranking them at the bottom, but if they are in a playoff spot, it wouldn’t be a surprise.

Not really:

Flyers have 2022-23 roster to start season, John Tortorella has his 'blueprint' - NBC Sports Philadelphia

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

He’s with Haula and Tatar. How does that help him?

Yeah if anything I'd say Holtz needs some serious propping up at this point in his early NHL career.  I don't see how Haula and Tatar fit that bill.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, MB3 said:

the cynic in me thinks the devils know their value is pretty sh!t right now with a dumpster team and they’re waiting for the team to turn the corner a little bit to drive the value of that expensive real estate up.

The cynic in me says they put the 40th anniversary patch on the shoulder because they just haven't finalized anything for the sponsor yet but it will be here soon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Not one bit. Give the kid a chance to succeed. 

Where a person is played on a line has nothing to do with their success or lack of.

If he can't play with veterans like Haula and Tatar then you might as well send him down right now. 

Stop repeating this awful take. By this same logic, playing Bastian on the top line with Hischier and Bratty should mean that Bastian is being set up for success. That simply is not true. 

 

There are very very few players in the league who make their linemates better. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Where a person is played on a line has nothing to do with their success or lack of.

If he can't play with veterans like Haula and Tatar then you might as well send him down right now. 

Stop repeating this awful take. By this same logic, playing Bastian on the top line with Hischier and Bratty should mean that Bastian is being set up for success. That simply is not true. 

 

There are very very few players in the league who make their linemates better. 

We’re gonna have to agree to disagree. Who you play with ABSOLUTELY helps to determine how successful a young player is early on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Where a person is played on a line has nothing to do with their success or lack of.

If he can't play with veterans like Haula and Tatar then you might as well send him down right now. 

Stop repeating this awful take. By this same logic, playing Bastian on the top line with Hischier and Bratty should mean that Bastian is being set up for success. That simply is not true. 

 

There are very very few players in the league who make their linemates better. 

This comparison doesn't work because Bastian was never targeted for Top 6 duty...he's a serviceable 4th-liner with 4th-liner skills, who was never really going to be asked to do more.

Holtz is supposed to be a Top 6 winger, and he did look like might have had something going with Jack and Palat.  He's a guy who (at this point) needs linemates who are going to open up some ice for him so that he can unleash his shot.

Guess you can make the argument that the kid has to earn his way up to playing with Jack in the regular season, but I say given that they played together this preseason, why not give him a handful of games to see if he plays his way off that line?

It's early and it's probably a little nitpicky, but I could see him becoming invisible playing with Haula and Tatar.  Just seems like an odd fit for Holtz.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah if anything I'd say Holtz needs some serious propping up at this point in his early NHL career.  I don't see how Haula and Tatar fit that bill.  

He’s in a bottom 6 role with veterans.  I don’t think he is in a position to fail.  Tatar and Haula will also be playing where they should and they both had good preseasons.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

This comparison doesn't work because Bastian was never targeted for Top 6 duty...he's a serviceable 4th-liner with 4th-liner skills, who was never really going to be asked to do more.

Holtz is supposed to be a Top 6 winger, and he did look like might have had something going with Jack and Palat.  He's a guy who (at this point) needs linemates who are going to open up some ice for him so that he can unleash his shot.

Guess you can make the argument that the kid has to earn his way up to playing with Jack in the regular season, but I say given that they played together this preseason, why not give him a handful of games to see if he plays his way off that line?

It's early and it's probably a little nitpicky, but I could see him becoming invisible playing with Haula and Tatar.  Just seems like an odd fit for Holtz.    

The key is to win games and if the 3rd line can give you secondary scoring, which it should with Tatar-Haula-Holtz why not take the pressure off of playing a top 6 role against established top line NHLers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

The key is to win games and if the 3rd line can give you secondary scoring, which it should with Tatar-Haula-Holtz why not take the pressure off of playing a top 6 role against established top line NHLers.

Well duh, where did I say the point wasn't to win games?  Of course the idea is to win games.  Just not sure if taking a kid off a line where he seemed to fit in and sticking him with a guy not known for offense in Haula and a second guy who appears to be on the decline in Tatar will work out.  We'll see. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.