GDT: Detroit @ Devils 7:00 PM 10/15- the home opener

MadDog2020

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

He had one game in the preseason where he didn’t look good, the rest of them I thought he played pretty well. 

I’m not prepared to judge his entire season based on a single game. Nor Vanecek’s. 

I think it’s less the goalies and more a disorganized system.  The goalies haven’t been great but going back to 2019 it’s 12 goalies with sub .902 save percentages. Only Blackwood with a .915 in 2019-20 unless we also include Comries one game at .909. Wedgewood has a .911 when he got away from NJ and part of that was with AZ who is also awful. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I think it’s less the goalies and more a disorganized system.  The goalies haven’t been great but going back to 2019 it’s 12 goalies with sub .902 save percentages. Only Blackwood with a .915 in 2019-20 unless we also include Comries one game at .909. Wedgewood has a .911 when he got away from NJ and part of that was with AZ who is also awful. 

Ok, one person was fair enough lol. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

The team had a 1-0 lead and the place was rocking and some of the best atmosphere in a long time so no I don't think it sucked the life out of the team at all. 

I suppose not, I just feel it’s a ruff way to start the season at home.  And, believe, I share in the frustration and anger.

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Blackwood was retained with the hope that if fully healthy, he can return to what he did over his first two seasons and 70 GP, where he looked promising.  It’s early of course but based on what I saw in preseason and the opener, not sure if that guy is ever coming back.

Not worried about VV yet.  

Blackwood had a good preseason game against the Rags, but I don't disagree with you.

The only thing yesterday was missing to be the perfect example of Devils hockey over the last 5 years was a minus man own goal. I'm so exhausted with this team.

7 hours ago, Fansinz88 said:

I try not to be negative this early into a new season that I thought had promise yet again. And it’s the same nonsense with the same players. Miles Wood saying here’s tired of being on a bad team. Like he’s some super player score 50 and the team sucking like kovalchuk did with Atlanta several times. The team is bad and he’s part of the problem and has been. 

I’m not gonna kill Miles for what he said. A lot of us have been waiting for that kind of outburst. Yeah he’s not a star but come on, I find it really hard to get on Miles Wood. 

Espn prediction lol

Metropolitan Division

Carolina Hurricanes
Pittsburgh Penguins
New Jersey Devils
New York Rangers
Washington Capitals
New York Islanders
Columbus Blue Jackets
Philadelphia Flyers

Let's start with the seismic shift in the Metro landscape, which has the New Jersey Devilsimproving by nearly 30 points in the standings to enter the playoff party for the first time since 2018, while the Capitals are left outside, banging on the windows for the first time since 2014.

Every season there's a gestating team that breaks out of its shell. That's the Devils this season. Their forward group is deep with young talents like Jack Hughes, Nico Hischier, Jesper Bratt, Yegor Sharangovich and Dawson Mercer. Add another freshman phenom: 20-year-old Alexander Holtz, who had one of those Lucas Raymond-esque preseasons in which his play told the Devils he's ready. The addition of Swiss army knife Ondrej Palat to Hughes' wing might not have the accelerant impact of having landed free agent Johnny Gaudreau -- who wiggled off New Jersey's hook at the last moment -- but his defensive responsibility and knack for filthy goals are going to benefit Jack. Adding John Marino to the third defensive pairing might be just as impactful.

That forward group helped the Devils to 11th in the NHL last season in expected goals for per 60 minutes at 5-on-5 (2.63), and the team tied for 13th in expected goals against (2.48). Why wasn't New Jersey better than seventh in the Metro? Three factors, all of which have to reverse course for a playoff berth:

• The Devils' power play was in "just decline the penalty" territory last season (15.6%). Former Panthers interim coach and Jack Adams finalist (!) Andrew Brunette takes over this unit as an assistant coach. The Panthers had the fifth-best power play in the league last season (24.4%).

• I saw assistant GM Martin Brodeur at Devils camp the other day and asked him what the keys to the season were. To the surprise of no one, the Hall of Fame goalie said, "getting a save." After whiffing twice in two years on goalie acquisitions, GM Tom Fitzgerald hopes Vitek Vanecek is a stabilizing force for 26-year-old Mackenzie Blackwood, whom the organization still believes can recapture the magic. No goaltending, no playoffs. It's that simple.

• Bad goaltending subverted every good thing the Devils did last season. So did health. They need a minimum of 70 games from Hughes. They have to hope Hischier plays 80 games for the first time since his rookie season. Dougie Hamilton -- remember him? -- needs a full season. They get these three factors straightened out, and play up to their metrics last season, and they're a playoff team.

• Haha 2

One reason behind the boos directed at Devils coach Lindy Ruff on Saturday? His questionable line decisions.

In the 5-2 loss to Detroit, Ruff placed first line talent Yegor Sharangovich –– the Devils’ third ranked goal scorer in 2021-22 –– and star prospect Alexander Holtz on the bottom line. Both players provide a boost on offense, so many fans wondered why they sat in the lineup basement. Ruff provided an explanation after the loss.

“If you look at Nico (Hischier) coming back, it wasn’t really they were on the fourth line, they were going to double shift with Jack (Hughes),” Ruff said. “We were going to try to get those top guys to play more of a three line game. We were going to use Michael (McLeod) a lot on special teams, killing penalties. We were going to use Holtz on power plays. I’ll share that part of the game plan with you. But when Nico comes back, everything changes.”

What?????

• Haha 1

Yeah, those line decisions are a little odd. Holtz with Hughes and Palat all preseason, and then he's on the fourth line after scoring a goal in the first game. It seems obvious that you need a finisher on Jack's wing. Holtz played well next to Jack all preseason. Sharangovich has been the best shooter on the team for the past couple of seasons. Makes no sense for both of those guys to be getting 6 minutes/game as McLeod's wingers. Also, Lindy mentioned how he likes Hughes and Mercer together. That's fine, but I don't recall them playing together much at all before the season opener. Not sure where he got that idea from. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nessus said:

Yeah, those line decisions are a little odd. Holtz with Hughes and Palat all preseason, and then he's on the fourth line after scoring a goal in the first game. It seems obvious that you need a finisher on Jack's wing. Holtz played well next to Jack all preseason. Sharangovich has been the best shooter on the team for the past couple of seasons. Makes no sense for both of those guys to be getting 6 minutes/game as McLeod's wingers. Also, Lindy mentioned how he likes Hughes and Mercer together. That's fine, but I don't recall them playing together much at all before the season opener. Not sure where he got that idea from. 

a madman, your honor, a desperate fool at the end of his pitiful rope.

• Like 2

It's all on coaching? Nothing to do with execution & shoddy goaltending? Inability to finish.  Don't coaches play the guy(s) that are "going"?  You "play your way" onto lines.  If you only contribute on PP or PK (McCleod/Holtz) neither have earned top 6.  You don't get the job on hype.  Do we have an awesome PP? Or is it Recchi-esque?  Yet, Devils fans want Ruff fired and Brunette installed as HC.

Everyone, calm down! 

15 minutes ago, bobilly45 said:

This is what makes me mad at management.  Worry about your hockey team that has sucked for a decade, and our coach who is a fvcking moron.   

Instead of worrying about that theyre more worried about you voting.   It's bullsh!t

You do realize the social media coordinator has no control on how the team performs, correct?

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, bobilly45 said:

This is what makes me mad at management.  Worry about your hockey team that has sucked for a decade, and our coach who is a fvcking moron.   

Instead of worrying about that theyre more worried about you voting.   It's bullsh!t

Screenshot_20221017-093107_Instagram.jpg

I’m pretty sure Fitz isn’t on the social media team. Their job is just to engage people 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobilly45 said:

Screenshot_20221017-093107_Instagram.jpg

This takes them literally seconds to post and cost them no money lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vadvlfan said:

It's all on coaching? Nothing to do with execution & shoddy goaltending? Inability to finish.  Don't coaches play the guy(s) that are "going"?  You "play your way" onto lines.  If you only contribute on PP or PK (McCleod/Holtz) neither have earned top 6.  You don't get the job on hype.  Do we have an awesome PP? Or is it Recchi-esque?  Yet, Devils fans want Ruff fired and Brunette installed as HC.

Everyone, calm down! 

Based on Nico's comments, it sounds like whatever the system's supposed to be, it's not being properly coached to the players.  The players aren't blameless (Severson will apparently NEVER avoid those WTF mistakes that forever seem to have a way of winding up in the back of the net, or at the very least lead to a good scoring chance against), but based on the ability of this current group, it's really hard to understand why they look like such a befuddled mess as often as they do.

Also, notice how teams seem to lay it on the Devils in the second period...that reeks of one staff being able to make adjustments, and the other not having much of answer.  The only answer Lindy seems to have for anything these days is play Line Shuffle and hope something clicks.  

If this was a team full of Tootoo and Ruutu types and a guy like Henrique was leading the Devils in points, that would be one thing.  But what have you really seen out of Ruff's time here that leads you to believe that he's the guy to lead the Devils to becoming consistently competitive?  He's not a guy who's earned the benefit of the doubt.  Yeah it's only been two games, but when you really come down to it, it's a lot more than that.  

If your argument is potentially "What difference is it gonna make if Ruff's cast aside for Brunette, who's a part of the current staff that's seen this team stumble completely out of the gate?", I do get that.  Devils could very well fire Ruff and Brunette may not have the kind of impact that we're all hoping for...and if that's the case, it may sadly turn out that some of these building blocks were overrated all along.  But based on how disastrous Ruff's run has been here (even if it's not all his fault), I'm just ready to give someone else a chance...and I find it hard to believe that Fitz wasn't having doubts of his own coming into this season, otherwise why hire a guy like Brunette (potential HC replacement) at all? 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, MB3 said:

the longer ruff stays, the more I want to move on from Tommy. if he can’t see this is a sinking ship, he’s not the guy for the job.

I'm afraid I am falling on the same side of that debate, but then I wonder if it makes sense to fire Fitz and then still retain all of the new coaches he just put in place. Same sh!t again, if you are going to clean house, clean the whole thing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I'm afraid I am falling on the same side of that debate, but then I wonder if it makes sense to fire Fitz and then still retain all of the new coaches he just put in place. Same sh!t again, if you are going to clean house, clean the whole thing. 

I hate Fitz for his management decisions and his loyalty regardless of performance.

I respect Fitz for his player movements

• Like 3

https://vk.com/video-683353_456240646 (sorry, but youtube doesn`t want to download video, I will not make it again)

I made the video of offensive work in game with Detroit. You can figure it out where and how Devils missed their opportunities.
I see a lot of missclicks. But it`s a matter of time and chemistry. They will play better when spend more time with each others. Of course if they will not hit mental wall. 

Video is only about offensive game.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

Everyone, calm down! 

I don't think any head coach in any sport has been fired two games into the season after getting multiple nods of confidence by the management in the off-season.  We have to be at least 10-20 games in before Fitz does something like that. Fitz only does this if we go like 3-17. If we are 10-11 (Which isn't even that good) to start the year, I still don't think Ruff gets canned. People can chant it from the rooftops and the parking lot of the Rock all they want. 

In the current fantasy league for this board, the guy at the bottom of the league has Jack Campbell as his goalie.

Campbell's allowed seven goals on 47 shots across two starts to begin his Edmonton career. Keep things in perspective guys. 

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 3

It's not gonna take 10-20 games, they have a month full of mostly non-playoff teams, mostly at home...if they don't get it going right the hell now they ain't climbing out of this hole when they have to face actual tougher competition. 

Plus Lindy is also on a lame-duck deal with his replacement being hired this offseason, not all that much of a vote of confidence.  They pretty much put a 'you better get off to a fast start' sign on Lindy's back in neon letters.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

I don't think any head coach in any sport has been fired two games into the season after getting multiple nods of confidence by the management in the off-season.  We have to be at least 10-20 games in before Fitz does something like that. Fitz only does this if we go like 3-17. If we are 10-11 (Which isn't even that good) to start the year, I still don't think Ruff gets canned. People can chant it from the rooftops and the parking lot of the Rock all they want. 

In the current fantasy league for this board, the guy at the bottom of the league has Jack Campbell as his goalie.

Campbell's allowed seven goals on 47 shots across two starts to begin his Edmonton career. Keep things in perspective guys. 

We have 5 home games and 2 away games this month, if they don't turn it around and finish this month with a 2-7 or 3-6 record and the crowd is chanting fire lindy every game as loud as they did for game 1 they won't have much of a choice. 

Fitz can close the door behind him on the way out if he doesn't pull the trigger if this ship is sinking that much. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1