GDT: Ducks @ Devils 7PM 10/18

Nicomo

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I like Graves, but not so sure how much I'd like him at $5+ million for 4+ years.  I obviously don't love Seves, but at his current salary I can't really say he represents bad value...but at $6.5+ million for another 5-6 years, and possibly hampering flexibility while doing Severson things...that would make him that more frustrating to watch.

That's the whole thing...eventually these pre-30-year-old vets often sign contracts they don't really have that much of a chance to truly live up to.  I'd rather give those spots to a kid who projects from solid to very good, with several fine years ahead of him.  Nothing's for sure of course, but if Bratt's signed, the Devils get that much top-heavier...you CAN get away with that, but goes back to the same thing...having those kids on ELC and reasonable bridge deals to take the place of those middle-tier guys whose contracts so often become burdensome before long.  

Right now I think the only long term deal that could be a problem is Hamilton. Hughes deal looks like a steal, Nico should live up to his if healthy, and I’m assuming Bratt will be worth whatever he gets for at least a few years before we have to worry about decline. Graves and Severson are probably goners. Tatar is gone. I can’t see Wood making much. Blackwood will depend heavily on he and Vanecek’s play this year. I don’t think anyone else is due for a contract just yet but I haven’t looked. 

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

It always blows my mind that some folks actually believe they’re 100% worthless. I can totally understand not wanting your team to be too over reliant on analytics, but to think that every single team in every single major sport just completely wastes both the money and the manpower on something with no value is pretty wild to me. 

I don't think they are completely worthless. I just don't give a sh!t about them 

4 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

I just read this. 

Holtz was benched to give Bratt more time? I'm not sure I buy that, but let's see. 

https://www.nj.com/devils/2022/10/why-devils-alexander-holtz-saw-limited-ice-time-in-4-2-win-vs-ducks.html?outputType=amp

For all the bitching about Ruff's coaching-he made the right moves in this one.  Mercer on the top line (where he should stay-a great fit there) going with the 9 forwards who were bringing it and sitting Holtz in favor of more ice time for Bratt.  

I wouldn't be surprised if Holtz sits for the Islander game.  They played their best two periods of the season without him.  I expect to see Zetterlund and/or Boquist in tomorrow.  

1 hour ago, Have Another Donut said:

For all the bitching about Ruff's coaching-he made the right moves in this one.  Mercer on the top line (where he should stay-a great fit there) going with the 9 forwards who were bringing it and sitting Holtz in favor of more ice time for Bratt.  

I wouldn't be surprised if Holtz sits for the Islander game.  They played their best two periods of the season without him.  I expect to see Zetterlund and/or Boquist in tomorrow.  

McLeod adds absolutely nothing. Would like to see Boqvist and Zetterlund come in for McLeod and Bastian.

And Bahl for Smith.

Edited by devlman
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

@DevilMinder if Ruff makes it through the entire season can you upgrade the website to get the block feature to be useful? Odds are still likely Ruff is gonna be long gone by then so you won't have to but it would be nice lol

I know, I wish it was more robust myself. I know of at least 8 of you on here have messaged me about it. The Developers pretty much see no need for the ignore user function. The plugin I added to do this didn't work at all and that developer is AWOL.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

I know, I wish it was more robust myself. I know of at least 8 of you on here have messaged me about it. The Developers pretty much see no need for the ignore user function. The plugin I added to do this didn't work at all and that developer is AWOL.

Do these developers think people on internet message boards get along where there’s no need for it? Lol cmon

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, devlman said:

Do these developers think people on internet message boards get along where there’s no need for it? Lol cmon

I mean it’s pretty easy to just ignore things people say if you don’t like it. I don’t need a button to do that. 

There is a certain irony, though, when certain people call for a block featurE when they would likely be one of the main people who it got clicked for. 

On 10/19/2022 at 7:51 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Now -5 on the season and -134 for his career.  I know it's not all his fault and I know +/- has its flaws, but it's not like the guy hasn't made us all crazy with the seemingly endless WTF moments...there's stretches where it feels like he has at least one every game.  Let someone else overpay for him...it's been discussed, but the Devils will soon have L Hughes and Nemec (on ELCs...so huge for cap flexibility); Siegs, Marino and Dougie are all locked up long-term, and there's still Muk (who's easy to forget) and Bahl in the mix (Smith seems like a guy who may not stick here).  If anyone's going to get a big raise, I'd much rather it'd be Bratt.  There's simply not going to be room for Seves here.

Yeah kinda hoping Seves gets dealt mostly because he might bring something useful back; even if teams are aware of his warts, he definitely has enough skills that some team somewhere that will think "We can absolutely fix this guy."

I agree, and maybe the Ruff is done with Sevs too.  His ice time was cut drastically.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

I agree, and maybe the Ruff is done with Sevs too.  His ice time was cut drastically.

Ideally Seves gets on one of his better runs as the deadline approaches…with scouts watching.  Some GMs probably aren’t as familiar with his gaffes as we are.  He can look quite good at times.  And quite bad.  And of course in the same game.  

• Like 1