GDT: Capitals @ Devils 7PM 10/24

Nicomo

This should be our toughest test of the season so far. Caps are only 3-3, but let’s face it - they’ve owned us for years now. 

Mac back in goal according to Amanda. 

It will be interesting to see what Ruff does with the lines tonight. I wouldn’t think you keep going 11F/7D, but it’s hard to argue with the recent results. 

LGD

• Like 2

Guess Vanecek gets tomorrow night.  Also looks like the early plan is to give Mac every chance to nab the 1A.

Good test game, as far as trying to figure out how "real" the Devils are.  If they lose but are clearly competitive, that's a good sign.  

• Like 2

Probably a better idea to give Mac tonight and let Vitek play against Detroit. He is already under pressure coming off an abysmal game, let's not give him the added stress of having to play against his old team. 

Not that Detroit is easy, they are one of only a few teams without a regulation loss yet. 

Let's hope the magic that is  @Nicomo's 2022 GDT streak continues this evening. And let's remember to cover that Ovechkin guy, who is not only pretty good but also likes to stand in that exact spot that we failed to cover in just about every single game last season. 

• Like 1

"Stick with what's working" makes sense, but you cannot tell me that Tomas Tatar makes this team better than Alexander Holtz. And you cannot tell me that Brendan Smith makes this team better than Kevin Bahl.

Palat-Hischier-Bratt
Sharangovich-Hughes-Mercer
Zetterlund-Haula-Holtz
Wood-Bastian-McLeod

Siegenthaler-Hamilton
Graves-Marino
Bahl-Severson

Blackwood
Vanecek

gimme dat

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, MB3 said:

"Stick with what's working" makes sense, but you cannot tell me that Tomas Tatar makes this team better than Alexander Holtz.

Tatar is that dude at work that is always running around so he appears busy even though he isn't really accomplishing anything. He basically does the hockey equivalent of the George Costanza, act like you are really stressed and people will think you are working hard thing. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Tatar is that dude at work that is always running around so he appears busy even though he isn't really accomplishing anything. He basically does the hockey equivalent of the George Costanza, act like you are really stressed and people will think you are working hard thing. 

Well said

Doing this because it's becoming more and more evident that I'll do literally anything to avoid working. 

Your 2023-2024 New Jersey Devils:

Holtz (750k) - Hughes ($8m) - Pastrnak ($9m)
Palat ($6m) - Hischier ($7.25m) - Bratt ($8.5)
Mercer (750k) - Haula/Staal/Killorn (some short term older vet) $4m - Sharangovich ($3.8m)
Foote (750k) - Thompson (750k) - Zetterlund (750k)

Siegenthaler (3.4) -Hamilton (9.0)
Hughes (750k) - Marino (4.4)
Nemec (750k) - Bahl (750k)

Blackwood (4.5)
Vanecek (3.4)

Puts our cap hit at 76m. Roughly ~$10m clear of the projected cap. Amazing how much different the team looks next year. I'm not looking ahead because this should be a really fun year, but next year it starts to get goooooood. 

17 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

you are working hard thing. 

quoted for emphasis. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

My guess is that Holtz is not playing because of his "away from the puck" play. And that he's still up there to spend time around the team and watch and learn.

He may not have much left to learn in the AHL and just not there quite yet in the NHL but it's close

I’d guess they have Brylin working with him too. It seemed to help Sharangovich a lot. Holtz can shoot so that’s good. Hopefully they can help him develop the rest of his game 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Doing this because it's becoming more and more evident that I'll do literally anything to avoid working. 

Your 2023-2024 New Jersey Devils:

Holtz (750k) - Hughes ($8m) - Pastrnak ($9m)
Palat ($6m) - Hischier ($7.25m) - Bratt ($8.5)
Mercer (750k) - Haula/Staal/Killorn (some short term older vet) $4m - Sharangovich ($3.8m)
Foote (750k) - Thompson (750k) - Zetterlund (750k)

Siegenthaler (3.4) -Hamilton (9.0)
Hughes (750k) - Marino (4.4)
Nemec (750k) - Bahl (750k)

Blackwood (4.5)
Vanecek (3.4)

Puts our cap hit at 76m. Roughly ~$10m clear of the projected cap. Amazing how much different the team looks next year. I'm not looking ahead because this should be a really fun year, but next year it starts to get goooooood. 

quoted for emphasis. 

Almost all of the entry level cap hits you referenced above are wrong. They’re close, but most of them are higher. Only Zetterlund is $750k. Nemec, for example, will be $950k, and I am guessing Luke will be as well. 

I didn’t double check the rest, but it’s definitely about a million less just from the ELC’s. 

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:

I’d guess they have Brylin working with him too. It seemed to help Sharangovich a lot. Holtz can shoot so that’s good. Hopefully they can help him develop the rest of his game 

Yeah i dont think we should just look at him like "he scored a goal in his first game so he's obviously good to go!"

Scoring is what he's always done and he has a good shot. But it's often away from the puck that rookies are struggling. And since we had to win after losing our first 2. Ruff had to minimize potential mistakes that could cost us games at this point. Hard to develop and win at the same exact time sometimes

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Almost all of the entry level cap hits you referenced above are wrong. They’re close, but most of them are higher. Only Zetterlund is $750k. Nemec, for example, will be $950k, and I am guessing Luke will be as well. 

I didn’t double check the rest, but it’s definitely about a million less just from the ELC’s. 

I didn't feel like looking up their ELC details haha. But fair -- my post leaves the Devils with ~$8m in cap room instead of $10m. 

55 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

My guess is that Holtz is not playing because of his "away from the puck" play. And that he's still up there to spend time around the team and watch and learn.

He may not have much left to learn in the AHL and just not there quite yet in the NHL but it's close

Tatar is so dreadful away from the puck it makes me wonder what the staff sees. At least when Holtz has the puck on his stick there's a reasonable expectation that he'll put a good hard shot on net. Tatar sends little pizzas to the goalies chest and skates back to the bench. 

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

Tatar is so dreadful away from the puck it makes me wonder what the staff sees. At least when Holtz has the puck on his stick there's a reasonable expectation that he'll put a good hard shot on net. Tatar sends little pizzas to the goalies chest and skates back to the bench. 

Yeah but all in all. We can assume they could bring similar production through the season. Holtz being on the upswing and Tatar on the downswing. But for the team it's better to have Tatar doing well than Holtz at the moment. Hes getting paid more and we can trade him at the deadline for assets so the better he does the better so i understand giving him the extra help to turn it around. Holtz is still young and CAN learn from watching the game.

14 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Personally, I’m not a fan of Holtz being here and not playing. If that is the plan, send him back to Utica. 

If he's being scratched short-term because the coaching staff thinks they can help him enough to the point where they're comfortable playing him up here, I can live with him missing game action for a week or two.

If that's not working...yeah, send him down to Utica and give him lots of minutes.

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If he's being scratched short-term because the coaching staff thinks they can help him enough to the point where they're comfortable playing him up here, I can live with him missing game action for a week or two.

If that's not working...yeah, send him down to Utica and give him lots of minutes.

That’s fair. I just don’t think it’s one of those “he did all he can do in the AHL” situations, he had a good season but he wasn’t exactly dominant.