GDT: 10/25/2022 Devils @ Red Wings Please Damon Don't Do Anything Stupid

Colorado Rockies 1976

Very weird early season so far...Devils damn near doubling up their opponents in SOG, yet are only 3-3, and at times have looked very much like the same ol' Devils.  That's how it goes when the team save% is .850, and they're only shooting 7.2% as a team.

Big test failed with flying colors last night, but tonight is another night.  Find a way boys!

L G M F D!  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, '7' said:

Need a win here...and hopefully the damn pucks start going into the net early and with more regularity. Last night again, outplayed, outchanced them...but garbage goaltending did us in

Two killer giveaways by the Devils though...one from Minus Man (damn it seems like every time he makes a costly mistake, it winds up going to the back of the Devils' net), and then an even worse one from Bratt.  Not that Blackwood was awesome but last night felt like a team loss.  But yeah would be nice if the Devils goalies found a way to play as beastly as the opposing ones do.  It's actually pretty damned hard to outshoot your opponents by 15-20 shots every night through six games and somehow not only be .500, but be -3 in goal differential for the season.  Only this team lmao.  

• Like 4

Biz with another interesting Devils take that mirrors some of your thoughts on NJDevs — he puts 100% of the blame for the Devils first two losses on…. the defense and the effort. He said it’s not Lindy’s system, it’s not the goaltenders, it’s the unwillingness of several of our players to win the tough battles in the slot or play hard nosed hockey where it counts. 

He and Whit also said (which made me LOL) that “nobody in the world likes analytics more than devils fans. stop sending me your fvcking spreadsheets.” 

lmao

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I can’t imagine our shooting percentage stays at 7%. The chances have to start going in at some point. LGD, hopefully Vanecek gets his first Devils win 

The numbers will improve at both ends.  Neither are sustainable.  Doesn't make it any less frustrating right now to outshoot teams 40-20 and lose half of those games, but it's not going to be 82 games of Hasek vs. Astrom.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Biz with another interesting Devils take that mirrors some of your thoughts on NJDevs — he puts 100% of the blame for the Devils first two losses on…. the defense and the effort. He said it’s not Lindy’s system, it’s not the goaltenders, it’s the unwillingness of several of our players to win the tough battles in the slot or play hard nosed hockey where it counts. 

He and Whit also said (which made me LOL) that “nobody in the world likes analytics more than devils fans. stop sending me your fvcking spreadsheets.” 

lmao

Agreed on game 1, I missed game 2 so I can't comment on that. 

Agree about the spreadsheets lol. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Agreed on game 1, I missed game 2 so I can't comment on that. 

Agree about the spreadsheets lol. 

The funny thing is that I see (on here, anyway) people who are tired of the metrics not being supported by the results and general eye tests.  I think a good chunk of Devils fans will tolerate metrics as long as the person bringing them into the conversation doesn't treat them like complete gospel.  But I definitely don't sense much blind loyalty to them here.  

• Like 1

I actually don't feel like there's that many posters here who are knee deep in advance stats. I feel there's a decent amount of people who find it interesting to see what it's saying but not putting all their stocks in it. Unlike other past members who do not post here anymore

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The funny thing is that I see (on here, anyway) people who are tired of the metrics not being supported by the results and general eye tests.  I think a good chunk of Devils fans will tolerate metrics as long as the person bringing them into the conversation doesn't treat them like complete gospel.  But I definitely don't sense much blind loyalty to them here.  

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I actually don't feel like there's that many posters here who are knee deep in advance stats. I feel there's a decent amount of people who find it interesting to see what it's saying but not putting all their stocks in it. Unlike other past members who do not post here anymore

Agree with both. 

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's much more prevalent on HF but I also think a lot of those posters just enjoy thinking that they are smarter than they really are because of them as well. 

• Like 2

From my observation a lot of the people heavily relying on them were because they never played the game at a competitive level and were trying to compensate from the lack of... understanding and experience with fancy stats making them feel smarter / relevant.

Thats why many were discarding "intangibles" as if it was a relevant thing. Anyone who actually played knows damn well how important it can be

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

we make up, what, ~25 semi active members? we’re not a great microcosm of the fanbase as a whole at all. 

i lurk on HF and they think advanced stats are the end all be all to all discussions. Reddit thinks advanced stats are legitimate gospel from a higher deity  and to question them are to question the very nature of human existence.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MB3 said:

we make up, what, ~25 semi active members? we’re not a great microcosm of the fanbase as a whole at all. 

i lurk on HF and they think advanced stats are the end all be all to all discussions. Reddit thinks advanced stats are legitimate gospel from a higher deity  and to question them are to question the very nature of human existence.

I deleted my Reddit account because of some of the things that people on Reddit believe are gospel. Ultimately it was a high degree of stupidity I couldn't tolerate, which is saying a lot since I have a high tolerance for that from other sources.