2022 New York Mets off-season thread

NJDevs4978

Kinda feels like the 2022 Mets were a one-year wonder.  I think that they’re a 90-win team next season if they somehow bring that group back relatively intact.  

Hopefully this is just the start to Cohen's we're doing serious business now offseason

Never really had much doubt they'd retain Diaz so long as they hit the $100 million mark, and that wasn't going to be an issue with Cohen

Edited by NJDevs4978

Holy sh!t that feels like a lot of money for a closer.  But this owner has it to spend.

So deGrom opts out (was fully expected).  If I'm the Mets, I still don't re-sign him.  He's made less than a full season's worth of starts over the last two seasons combined.  There's nothing more annoying than going into a new season thinking "Well if Jake can stay healthy..."  You can't keep betting on that and hoping for the best.  Could be that his best, most durable days are behind him now.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

On 11/6/2022 at 4:54 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Holy sh!t that feels like a lot of money for a closer.  But this owner has it to spend.

That and there really weren't a lot of other options out there...Kenley Jansen keeps holding up barely but he always feels like he's a few bad weeks away from being Craig Kimbrel-like useless.  Where else could they have even gone for a closer, re-sign Ottavino or Lugo and give it to them?

Edited by NJDevs4978

17 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

That and there really weren't a lot of other options out there...Kenley Jansen keeps holding up barely but he always feels like he's a few bad weeks away from being Craig Kimbrel-like useless.  Where else could they have even gone for a closer, re-sign Ottavino or Lugo and give it to them?

Yeah true...and if money isn't an object (and with Cohen's Mets, it's definitely not), sure, sign Diaz to crazy money.  Very good chance that this contract won't age well, but there's always that risk with high-priced, long-term deals.

Kimbrel was actually quite good for the Dodgers down the stretch, but yeah, he's not what he was.    

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Welp adios Jake…off to Texas for 5 years, $185 million. Can’t say I’m shocked he’d go to Texas or that they gave him a crazy offer.

That’s fine.  I can certainly understand the Mets not wanting to offer him that.  Insanely risky.

26 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

That many years plus that much money is a big gamble.

If he was a 200 IP workhorse year after year after year I could understand it.  But this has MAJOR blowup potential…the Rangers are just completely ignoring his recent history. I wouldn’t have felt great about giving deGrom three years, let alone five.

I can’t side with the Mets enough on this one.  But I also think Jake really wanted to move on anyway, which was his right all along.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

38 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

That many years plus that much money is a big gamble.

I can't say I blame the Mets for only going 3-120.  If Jake did have a Justin Verlander-pre 2020 medical record then I'd be killing them for not going the extra mile, though if he did I suspect the price would have been even higher anyway.  But he's only had four years of 150+ innings in his career and 224.1 IP combined in the last three years (albeit one was a pandemic season).

And yes I get the 'it's only money and we have Cohen, why the fvck not' mindset, and I'm sure the honeymoon will now be over with a certain segment of the fanbase who's going to whine that Texas is doing what they expected us to do throwing around stupid money - but there is a quasi-celing, albeit not a cap but the Mets are gonna be skirting the upper limit of the tax anyway, paying a guy $40 million who may or may not be on the roster for half the season makes it harder to put a competitive team around them and stay under the Cohen tax more often than not.  Three years itself might be too long with Jake's issues...to go to FIVE?!

Plus with the no state tax factor they would have had to go even higher than 5-185 to match the offer money-wise.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Fans who bitch about this are not being fair.  For one, I think deGrom really wanted out.  For another, just because you’re willing to spend doesn’t mean you spend stupidly.  You don’t offer more than the Rangers just because you can.  He’s not worth it. 

I like Evan Roberts, but he really seems to be forcing a “Same Ol Mets” narrative, re:  deGrom.  It’s not that complicated:  deGrom clearly had NO interest in coming back here (that’s fine, was his right), and even if the Mets had matched the Rangers’ offer (which I would’ve hated), he STILL wasn’t coming back.  Mets did absolutely NOTHING wrong here.

Yeah Evan is a perfect example of the Met fan who talked themselves into thinking we were going to approach FA as if it’s Billy the Kid at the OK Corral just because they can (and likely will) spend to the tax ceiling most years. Our first Cohen offseason where we whiffed on every big FA should have disavowed that notion though, you can’t literally make people come or stay unless you’re just willing to throw them enough money and burn through every tax level in addition.

51 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Well that didn’t take long lol

In case people forgot you can still spend without being stupid

Yeah obviously due to age it's risky, but I'll take 2 years of Verlander over 5 of deGrom.  No issues with the Mets going in this direction.

That being said, sorry Eppler, you don't get to make a bunch of crappy Moneyball moves this coming deadline.  Your window is RIGHT fvckING NOW.  You don't sign guys like Scherzer and Verlander otherwise.  You need to go all in all year.  

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah Evan is a perfect example of the Met fan who talked themselves into thinking we were going to approach FA as if it’s Billy the Kid at the OK Corral just because they can (and likely will) spend to the tax ceiling most years. Our first Cohen offseason where we whiffed on every big FA should have disavowed that notion though, you can’t literally make people come or stay unless you’re just willing to throw them enough money and burn through every tax level in addition.

This exactly.  Not everyone is going to take the Mets' money.  And yeah, you don't way overpay for players just because you can.  If Evan wanted Jake back no matter what, that's his issue.

And the whole "Spend your career with one team" thing is often waaaaaay overblown.  Yes, it's nice when it's a guy like Jeter, who was solid and healthy right through his Age 38 season.  deGrom certainly doesn't appear to be trending in that direction...I could see him going more David Wright, where not only is he not really able to stay on the field, but you wind up going into every season praying "Well if he can just stay healthy..."  Basically you get stuck planning around guys that you can't depend on.

I say the over/under re:  the number of starts that Jake makes over the life of that contract is 95.  

regarding deGrom...at least it's not an NL East rival, the Yankees, or an NL team in general. He can go fade into obscurity making 15 starts a year with Texas. You just can't shell out that kind of money and those kind of years for someone as unreliable as deGrom with an arm that looks like it could be a ticking time bomb.

They had to get Verlander. The team is in win now mode and Verlander was a must once deGrom skipped town. Having Scherzer and Verlander at the top of the rotation at their ages though...yikes. That could work out perfectly but would anybody be surprised if both faded heavily this year? One will be 40, the other turning 39 this year who came up small in Atlanta and vs SD in his two biggest starts of the season. Why not go in on Greinke too for a 1 year deal as well as that Japanese pitcher Senga. 

I fear Nimmo may be lost to the Yankees. Draws a lot of walks, left with some pop in that short porch stadium. Yankees really want him I bet

Edited by '7'

13 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I like Evan Roberts, but he really seems to be forcing a “Same Ol Mets” narrative, re:  deGrom.  It’s not that complicated:  deGrom clearly had NO interest in coming back here (that’s fine, was his right), and even if the Mets had matched the Rangers’ offer (which I would’ve hated), he STILL wasn’t coming back.  Mets did absolutely NOTHING wrong here.

They're a win now team and are spending 100 million less locking in Verlander for 2 years...who is more reliable and actually wants to be here for 100+ mil LESS. Now that money can be allocated to help fortify the team in other ways. I'd much rather have this scenario than have signed deGrom for 5 years 200+ mil...which is probably what it would've taken. You're 100% correct...matching TX wouldn't have been enough, for deGrom to have stayed I think we would've had to legit outbid them and not by a tiny bit. That would've left some gaping holes and issues elsewhere that would've not been addressed properly.

• Like 1

Verlander 2022:  28 starts

deGrom 2021-22:  26 starts

Having two guys at or near 40 at the top of the rotation isn’t necessarily ideal of course, but at least they’re both guys who have shown the ability to log innings AND still have their stuff. 

10 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Tajuan Walker gets $72 million from the Phillies over four years as they try to fill out an entire rotation with Nola and every ex-Met they can find…geez

I can see Walker and that bandbox being a real toxic mix.  At any rate can't say that I wanted Walker for four years.  

5 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Seems okay to me if Quintana did find a little of his old form last year

It's OK.  Would I rather have him for two years than Walker for four?  Probably.  Doesn't seem like much of a "move forward" kind of deal, but still lots of offseason to go.