2022 New York Mets off-season thread

NJDevs4978

Good lord, did Correa himself get cold feet when the Mets’ late interest leaked or did the Giants just decide it wasn’t worth it to spend on a third place team?

LOL what a sentence…looks like the Giants were the ones who got cold feet and the Mets advertised interest was more than enough excuse for Boras not to sit around waiting on them

Edited by NJDevs4978

21 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Good lord, did Correa himself get cold feet when the Mets’ late interest leaked or did the Giants just decide it wasn’t worth it to spend on a third place team?

LOL what a sentence…looks like the Giants were the ones who got cold feet and the Mets advertised interest was more than enough excuse for Boras not to sit around waiting on them

Yeah I'd like to read a "How the Mets wound up with Correa" article...kind of like what we once got when the Flores + Wheeler for Carlos Gomez deal was happening, until it wasn't.

Look, these contracts are terrible the second they're signed...we know that.  But of course what's beyond insane is that there really appears to be damned near NO limits to what Cohen's willing to pony up.  The Mets now have TWO massive long-term mega-contracts on their payroll.  They're on the hook for $100 million or so in luxury taxes.  And they might not even be finished...obviously no more big signings coming, but if there's that one more guy who becomes available and is a perfect fit, does anyone think that Steve won't at least be in on him?

Never thought we'd see the day where the Mets franchise could ever out-Steinbrenner the Yankees, but here we are...they can and they will.  We'll see if they can buy themselves a championship.  Not like they're not trying.  

7 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah I'd like to read a "How the Mets wound up with Correa" article...kind of like what we once got when the Flores + Wheeler for Carlos Gomez deal was happening, until it wasn't.

Look, these contracts are terrible the second they're signed...we know that.  But of course what's beyond insane is that there really appears to be damned near NO limits to what Cohen's willing to pony up.  The Mets now have TWO massive long-term mega-contracts on their payroll.  They're on the hook for $100 million or so in luxury taxes.  And they might not even be finished...obviously no more big signings coming, but if there's that one more guy who becomes available and is a perfect fit, does anyone think that Steve won't at least be in on him?

Never thought we'd see the day where the Mets franchise could ever out-Steinbrenner the Yankees, but here we are...they can and they will.  We'll see if they can buy themselves a championship.  Not like they're not trying.  

Complete with upstaging them on the same day when they have the press conference carving board out for the Judge re-signing/announcing his captaincy.  Granted it was fortuitous timing that Correa to the Giants fell through the day before the Judge presser but even George could only dream of a back page steal like that.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

GOOD fvckING RIDDANCE

Mets unload James McCann in trade with Orioles (msn.com)

For a player to be named, but can't imagine he will be anything more than a token warm body.  That's fine...the idea was to get McCann the fvck outta here, so mission accomplished.  

19 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Makes me laugh that his trade value was at $2.5 million per year (since the Mets retained $19 million of the $24 million retained) on a $10 million per deal…one of Sandy’s last gifts lol

Yeah not like I ever made it a secret but Sandy was just the fvcking worst, especially for where this team currently stands in terms of how much they can spend.  The guy was ALWAYS trying to hit home runs with second and third options and trying to be too smart for his own good.  He was two failed trades away from 2015 never happening.  

It could turn out to be a solid signing for the Giants, but yeah, looks and feels like they cheaped out and pivoted to a less attractive option.  

Oh boy, guess the Giants are vindicated now?

I still think this gets done though, it’s mutually beneficial. Correa can’t go back in the market after having two teams nix him on physicals while the Mets can’t hardball too much and get egg on their face after the owner talked about the deal

Mets were probably a tad too eager to sign him…especially since I doubt anyone else was going to pony up for him.  Not sure who they were bidding against.  

If this does wind up getting nixed, will be interesting to see how Bora$ attempts to spin it.  I know he has a job to do, blah blah blah, but I find he and Drew Rosenhaus to be the most repulsive agents in the sports biz.

Bora$$ and Correa apparently don't want to budge on length or money.  We'll see, but if they don't, and the Mets bow out, so be it.  12-year contracts for anyone over 25 are stupid anyway...especially for a guy who's been a bit injury-prone.  If the Mets and Correa somehow agree to an 8-year deal at, say, close to $240 million, so be it...I still won't love it, but at least that one I could somewhat get...Correa won't be pushing 40 by the end.

I'd love to know what Boras and Correa think that they can snag from a THIRD try on the open market, after TWO physicals that concerned two franchises.  Do they really think another 10+ year mega-deal awaits them?!  I'm not sure that that B&C have the leverage that they'd like to believe.  It's in their best interest to try to make it work.  Not so sure it's in the Mets' best interest.     

Allegedly they have the Minnesota 10-285 offer in their back pocket, but that's still allegedly and also taking money out of Correa's deal anyway.

Bora$ needs to get the fvck over himself already.  I realize he 'won' the Kumar Rocker thing getting him a bigger deal by waiting a year but the more of these things that happen the more people are just gonna know how much of a slimeball you are about injuries.  Just accept that he had a botched surgery in 2014 and that's what's popping up now. 

Edited by NJDevs4978

18 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Allegedly they have the Minnesota 10-285 offer in their back pocket, but that's still allegedly and also taking money out of Correa's deal anyway.

Bora$ needs to get the fvck over himself already.  I realize he 'won' the Kumar Rocker thing getting him a bigger deal by waiting a year but the more of these things that happen the more people are just gonna know how much of a slimeball you are about injuries.  Just accept that he had a botched surgery in 2014 and that's what's popping up now. 

The Minnesota offer was two failed physicals ago…not so sure that exact offer would be available to him anymore.

Yeah Bora$ just SOUNDS cringey and slimy.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

The longer that this goes on, the more it feels like it's not going to happen...and I'm fully OK with that.  Guy hasn't even taken the field yet and I'm already sick of him.  If the Mets insist on wildly outspending everyone else, I'd rather see them sign a guy like Ohtani to a bad contract.  

Yeah this is getting like a CBA negotiation at this point...part of me thinks we'll still be sitting around in late February waiting.  On the one hand the longer there's radio silence it's obvious they're trying to work it out, but on the other hand, the longer it takes for it to work out the more you know someone (re: Bora$) is being his usual royal pain in the a$$

9 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah this is getting like a CBA negotiation at this point...part of me thinks we'll still be sitting around in late February waiting.  On the one hand the longer there's radio silence it's obvious they're trying to work it out, but on the other hand, the longer it takes for it to work out the more you know someone (re: Bora$) is being his usual royal pain in the a$$

I'm to the point where I hope it doesn't happen...I'm just annoyed by the idea of him at this point...and something about Lindor having another one of his "Me me me" pals here doesn't thrill me either.  

Dom Smith signs with Nats, one-year deal.  Hard to believe that in 2020, that it looked like he might actually challenge Alonso as a long-term solution at 1B...his 2021-22 numbers were largely brutal (78 OPS+, and trending downward).  He's still young (only 27) but is running out of time to prove that he can stick in the majors...the promise that he showed in 2019-20 seems like a looooooog time ago.

Supposedly more moves are coming if the Mets can ever get this crap with Correa straightened out (I'd still prefer that he's not signed, but it sounds like this is slowly but surely getting taken care of, and that in the end, Correa will re-sign).  Not sure what else there is, but supposedly there will bench-type signings.

Something about Dom Smith makes me feel that he's he's just going to be a tease or chronic underachiever throughout his entire career...he has such a long swing with so many exploitable holes in it it seems. He doesn't have the power you'd expect him too, he's slow, doesn't get on base as much as you'd like. It's like after 2020 pitchers went to school on him, made their adjustments, and he has had no answers for it. And I'm not sure he ever will

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1

Supposedly Boras fielding offers from a couple of other teams for Correa.  Good.  Leave. 

Honestly I'm not that worried about it for two reasons - one, if this thing blew up two plus years ago it'd definitely be LOLMETS, Cheap Ponzis, etc but we know with Cohen's willingness to run up a $100+ million TAX bill that it's not about cheapness if this deal falls through.  Two, Cohen already walked away from Kumar Rocker, I don't think he's going to give in to Bora$ and let him have everything he wants this time either.  If Correa finally signs, I don't think it'll be for a stupidly unprotected contract.  If this falls through, everyone will know exactly who to blame - Bora$ and Correa.

Edited by NJDevs4978

They’re definitely in the tit for tat media game now, after the Bora$ leak to Heyman comes return fire from the Mets via Martino, I still want the player but part of me wants to call Bora$ on his sh!t and dare him to get even $250 guaranteed from another team at this point.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

They’re definitely in the tit for tat media game now, after the Bora$ leak to Heyman comes return fire from the Mets via Martino, I still want the player but part of me wants to call Bora$ on his sh!t and dare him to get even $250 guaranteed from another team at this point.

Seriously…by all means go flunk ANOTHER physical Carlos.