2022 New York Mets off-season thread

NJDevs4978

Hoping that this is true...seriously, fvck Bora$ and Correa...it's not going to feel like some major win if he sticks at this point...just tired of both of them:

New York Mets 'Very Frustrated' With Carlos Correa Negotiations - Sports Illustrated New York Mets News, Analysis and More

LOL...and the next episode in As Correa's Contract Turns

If the Twins are gonna sign him then they better fvcking sign him, don't give him a physical and back away yourselves cause then we get to the point in the program where he takes a short-term deal with the Braves and annoys us even more.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Just glad it will be coming to an end.  Said it already but I’m fully on board with the Mets not following through here.

19 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Pending a physical, how cute

If our offer went under that then there really is something to worry about in the medicals. 

All good, I have absolutely ZERO issues with this not happening.  For one, I know when the time is right, the Mets will obviously spend that money elsewhere.  For another, I'm sorry, when TWO franchises are that concerned about what they found in your physical, there's something there.  No one can kill the Giants anymore, that's for sure.  

I'm sure some will try to make this a LOL Mets thing, but I couldn't disagree more. 

Mets supposedly interested in Andrew McCutchen.  He's clearly far from his prime...over his last three seasons, he's slashed .234/.325/.417 and has an OPS+ of 104.  This will be his Age 36 season. 

I'm guessing it would be on a one-year deal, for about what he made last season ($8.5 million).  Nothing that excites, but not like every move will be a biggie.  

McCutchen goes back to the Pirates.  Mets obviously didn't want him that bad, which I get.  Even without Correa (who I wanted less and less anyway), still was a plenty active offseason for the Mets.  Walking away from potentially expensive and damaged goods shouldn't define this offseason (which still ain't quite done).  

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah guess McCutchen figured he’d rather take a victory lap and play more in Pittsburgh than be a bench guy somewhere else.

Well, at least until the trading deadline...if McCutchen's having a solid year, hard to think there won't be some interest in renting him, as a depth/DH/off-the-bench type...and not like Pittsburgh can't use young bodies wherever they can get them (even if they're only marginal prospects, which anyone involved in a McCutchen deadline deal is likely to be).  

Mets sign Tommy Pham as outfield depth.  Impossible to get excited about this one...he's basically a 93 OPS+ player over his last three seasons (.696 OPS) who pops an occasional HR but who strikes out plenty...he K'd 167 times in 622 plate appearances last season.  Not good.

• 2 weeks later...

fvcking Wilpons lmao...they're the majority owners of SNY, so of course those two complete POS are creating drama when it comes to keeping Keith in the broadcast booth.  Because they just can't do ANYTHING right.  EVER.

• Thanks 1

Seriously, this is a no-brainer...Keith, Ron and Gary are one of THE best broadcasting teams in the biz...each of them bring something to the table and combined they do an excellent job.  There is NO reason to fvck around with this.

I have no doubt that if this were Cohen's call, all we would've heard was Keith being re-signed, end of story.

Who knows to what level the Wilpons are involved, but being that they own 65% of Sterling Equities, hard to imagine that they're just sitting on the sidelines (which was never their MO anyway...they're at their happiest when they're meddling, especially Jeffy boy). 

Jeffy, you fvcking useless c*nt of a human being, you wanna-be baseball man who is taken seriously by NO ONE in baseball...Keith is fvcking royalty here, and will only be doing this for so much longer.  Just get it the fvck done. 

I wonder how long this can stretch out before we get to the end game, right before Spring? Just before Opening Day? I’m sure Keith probably wants certain ‘amenities’ (time off and what not) and/or a bigger payoff for not getting them, but SNY is a frigging cash cow and we’re probably running out of seasons with the big three as it is, just get over yourselves and let him have a few more perks/money 

• Thanks 1

Mets re-hire Carlos Beltran as special assistant to the GM, whatever that means down the road - a possible Buck successor or just repairing a relationship that's...had its ups and downs.  Whatever you think of what Beltran did in Houston though, it doesn't really sit right with me that Alex Cora and AJ Hinch are both managing teams now while Beltran got basically blackballed out of managing for the moment.

Edited by NJDevs4978

13 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Mets re-hire Carlos Beltran as special assistant to the GM, whatever that means down the road - a possible Buck successor or just repairing a relationship that's...had its ups and downs.  Whatever you think of what Beltran did in Houston though, it doesn't really sit right with me that Alex Cora and AJ Hinch are both managing teams now while Beltran got basically blackballed out of managing for the moment.

He really is the Mets' bad penny heh heh...he really can't stop turning up.  

re:  Beltran being blackballed, I think what hurt him was the fact that he had no managerial experience at all.  If he had any kind of track record of success in that role, he absolutely would've been hired to be a manager by now.

And yeah, maybe that's what it takes for him at the moment...he hangs around here for a few years, Buck eventually steps aside, and Beltran becomes his successor.  I don't necessarily think the Mets really WANTED to fire him in the first place, but they were never going to withstand the firestorm that would've followed (and that goes for ALL of the teams in MLB...if anything, I think you can get on the Mets for hiring him in the first place).  This could be a "OK things have died down, this could ultimately work out anyway, though not like we planned it."    

15 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

With people clamoring for Timo on the main boards, I couldn't help but think of this guy. 

image.jpeg.bd0ad81b0a50bc1237e198ebda8b5bc7.jpeg

One of those guys who's probably remembered for being better than he really was...he had an OPS+ of 87 as a Met (100 is average), but he was one of those guys that fans just kinda dug.  Something about him...did some nice things in 2000.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

15 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

One of those guys who's probably remembered for being better than he really was...he had an OPS+ of 87 as a Met (100 is average), but he was one of those guys that fans just kinda dug.  Something about him...did some nice things in 2000.  

They didn't dig his baserunning in the World Series, LOL!

19 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

They didn't dig his baserunning in the World Series, LOL!

Yikes blocked that out heh heh.  

Yeah Timo had kind of a Jeremy Lin arc out of nowhere for a brief, shining moment here, both guys actually lasted longer than you would have thought after cause it felt like their career began and ended with their rookie season.  I knew Lin played for almost a decade in the NBA after LINSANITY, but completely forgot Timo had actually lasted in MLB until 2007, I honestly thought he was out of MLB by 2001 or 2002.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah Timo had kind of a Jeremy Lin arc out of nowhere for a brief, shining moment here, both guys actually lasted longer than you would have thought after cause it felt like their career began and ended with their rookie season.  I knew Lin played for almost a decade in the NBA after LINSANITY, but completely forgot Timo had actually lasted in MLB until 2007, I honestly thought he was out of MLB by 2001 or 2002.

Yeah I forgot how Timo got hot at the end of the 2000 season and was solid in the NL playoffs, until the Yankees shut him down completely.  Had a nice year in 2002 as well.  2003 was meh-ish and that's pretty much what he was from that point on (though did finish on quite a flourish with the Tigers in 2007 as the season wound down).  Guy probably got the very best out of limited ability...gotta give him some props, in that he managed to play in 603 games, and even was on a World Series winner (though he was a bit player for that 2005 White Sox team at best).