2022 New York Mets off-season thread

NJDevs4978

RIP Tim McCarver...other than Fran Healy most of the '80's era Met broadcasters have passed on, growing up with Ralph, Tim and Rusty doing the PIX games.  I didn't realize his playing career only ended in 1980 and lasted as long as it did.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

RIP Tim McCarver...other than Fran Healy most of the '80's era Met broadcasters have passed on, growing up with Ralph, Tim and Rusty doing the PIX games.  I didn't realize his playing career only ended in 1980 and lasted as long as it did.

I still have his autograph somewhere...when my mother worked at AT&T back in the 80s and needed to hire a speaker for an event that AT&T was hosting, she hired Tim.  She said he couldn't have been a nicer and more personable guy.  RIP Tim.  Yeah you could ramble sometimes for sure, but I was big fan of yours when you were doing Mets games.  

• 2 weeks later...

First spring training games yesterday...the hitting prospects should get a real long look based on guys going to the WBC but I don't really expect any to make the roster.  Barring injury (and apparently Marte was even more injured than realized last year, so his rehab'll be slow) there's seemingly only one spot open assuming they carry thirteen bats as opposed to fourteen:

C - Naravez, Nido

1B - Pete

2B - McNeil, Guillorme

SS - Lindor

3B - Escobar

OF - Nimmo, Canha, Marte, Pham

DH - Vogelbach

And in somewhat surprising around the league news, Machado re-ups in San Diego for 11 years, $350 million, holy moly.  At least we didn't have a chance to get involved in that lol...but yeah keep whining about the Mets, MLB while the Padres are spending just as much and more besides this offseason.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Unless Timo Meier is part of the conversation, none of this is even on my radar right now lol.  But yeah, season is right around the corner…will be here before we know it.

Yeah didn’t see Machado staying.  I think it’s Ohtani or bust anyway, as far as the next shiny new toy for the Mets goes.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2023 at 10:41 AM, NJDevs4978 said:

First spring training games yesterday...the hitting prospects should get a real long look based on guys going to the WBC but I don't really expect any to make the roster.  Barring injury (and apparently Marte was even more injured than realized last year, so his rehab'll be slow) there's seemingly only one spot open assuming they carry thirteen bats as opposed to fourteen:

C - Naravez, Nido

1B - Pete

2B - McNeil, Guillorme

SS - Lindor

3B - Escobar

OF - Nimmo, Canha, Marte, Pham

DH - Vogelbach

And in somewhat surprising around the league news, Machado re-ups in San Diego for 11 years, $350 million, holy moly.  At least we didn't have a chance to get involved in that lol...but yeah keep whining about the Mets, MLB while the Padres are spending just as much and more besides this offseason.

It's irritating. I mean for years and years you had the Yankees, Red Sox, LA Dodgers, Cubs, Giants etc just throwing around massive sums of money while we were trying to get excited about Marlon Byrd and Chris Young and hoping/praying whatever aging and injury prone Dollar Store free agents we brought in would all be pleasant surprises. Some years it was absolutely pitiful what we were putting out there. This never seemed to bother Major League Baseball much...they saw what inept doddering fools the Wilpons were and the seemingly endless cavalcade of embarrassing LOLMets stories. And just how rotten the organization was at its core in terms of workplace conduct (we found out more about that the first year when Cohen took over)

Now the franchise has been saved, stabilized, and desperately wants to win. Somehow they find this offensive and unacceptable. You're the Mets...remain in your place

• Like 1

McCarver I remember was a very good color guy, but definitely no Mets fan. He could be pretty critical of the team from time to time (and not in the same way that a Howie Rose or Cohen would be where nonmatter what they say you know they absolutely love the franchise)

Supposedly Bobby V got very irritated with McCarvers criticism and would complain. There was a game where he criticized Valentine for bringing in the hopeless Mel Rojas to pitch to Paul O'Neill (he homered) Finally Mets management decided it's best to just keep your manager happy and they fired him

7 minutes ago, '7' said:

McCarver I remember was a very good color guy, but definitely no Mets fan. He could be pretty critical of the team from time to time (and not in the same way that a Howie Rose or Cohen would be where nonmatter what they say you know they absolutely love the franchise)

Supposedly Bobby V got very irritated with McCarvers criticism and would complain. There was a game where he criticized Valentine for bringing in the hopeless Mel Rojas to pitch to Paul O'Neill (he homered) Finally Mets management decided it's best to just keep your manager happy and they fired him

Remember Doug Sisk...fondly remembered as Doug Risk?  I remember he came into a game in 1987 in mid-May (when the team was struggling early), and McCarver almost sounded angry with him, heh heh...basically made it a point to make sure that his audience was well aware that Sisk's respectable season ERA to that point was a complete mirage, that he'd been allowing a ton of inherited runners to score that of course didn't figure into Sisk's ERA, but into the pitchers who he was coming in to relieve.  And he was 100% on the money...through games of May 12, Sisk had an ERA of 3.50, but allowed a whopping 11 out of 13 inherited runners to score (that kind of info wasn't as readily available back then as it is now).  I find Keith to be more critical, but I agree with much of what he says. 

@NJDevs4978, have you been watching any preseason games?  I haven't at all, but Evan was raving about what a difference the pitch clock is making, and that the games are going MUCH faster, in a great way.  Are you seeing that?

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

@NJDevs4978, have you been watching any preseason games?  I haven't at all, but Evan was raving about what a difference the pitch clock is making, and that the games are going MUCH faster, in a great way.  Are you seeing that?

Nah I never really watched Spring training most seasons, but I've heard him make the same comments you have.  I can't wait to see games how the changes will affect it (if at all) once the games start counting though.  So far this is the best news we've gotten all Spring:

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

LOL oh brother

Pitchers.

Baseball players are just SO fragile now, I swear...

2 hours ago, Jerrydevil said:

Oh man, that’s just brutal for Diaz and the Mets. 

And the argument some are making is "Freak thing, could have happened anywhere, etc"

Yes, things can happen anywhere, anytime, in daily existence...BUT, if I'm going to lose a top player to an injury on a baseball field, then let it happen during spring training or during a MLB-related activity (practice, game, etc).  I can stomach that a lot more easily than it happening during the WBC.  The WBC or the Puerto Rican team aren't the ones who just signed Diaz to 5 years and over $100 million; no skin off their backs if Diaz gets hurt.  And now the team that DID dole out all that money is stuck having to deal with the fallout of an important player likely to miss a full season due to a friggin' exhibition tournament.  Never again. 

Sorry WBC, too much money and resources are tied up in these players who are needed by their teams, as is evidenced by the financial commitments made to them.  If this WBC needs to be a thing, then go with up-and-coming minor leaguers, young guys looking to get noticed, etc.  No more of MLB's best playing in this thing.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I couldn't be more infuriated over this. And also...haven't we seen enough guys injured during corny over the top celebrations over the past few years? Shouldn't these guys know maybe to take it a bit easy celebrating a contrived exhibition tournament that has nothing to do with the baseball regular season?

Of course this had to happen. And to a Met. I know to some players this is very important but your employer, the regular season comes first! I haven't ever watched a second of the WBC and never will

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, '7' said:

I couldn't be more infuriated over this. And also...haven't we seen enough guys injured during corny over the top celebrations over the past few years? Shouldn't these guys know maybe to take it a bit easy celebrating a contrived exhibition tournament that has nothing to do with the baseball regular season?

Of course this had to happen. And to a Met. I know to some players this is very important but your employer, the regular season comes first! I haven't ever watched a second of the WBC and never will

Agreed.  I get patriotism, but your country isn't the one paying you absolute top-dollar.  The WBC comes and goes...no one is saying "Hey remember that time [insert country here] won a WBC with that walk-off dinger!"  Some people care, but many don't, and many more are just hoping that any players from their team who participate simply manage to avoid injury.  

The irony is when Lindor hit an inside the park HR in the same game I was a bit squeamish watching the highlight on Twitter, worrying he’d strain himself. Little did I know that was just a warning shot for what was to come.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Angry 1

26 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

It’s official, no trumpets in 2023

Not like we didn't see it coming.  Sucks, but at this point, it's hoping he's healthy for 2024 and beyond (seems reasonable based on the timetable), and figuring out how to piece saves together in 2023.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976